New to this forum... - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

New to this forum...

acid reflux gerd ibs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone

I've never tried a forum before, but i was googling stuff online today (which i know i shouldn't do!) and found this. I'm 27 years old and have been suffering with GERD and IBS for about 3 years now.

I had stomach issues when i was younger, but nothing this bad. About 3 years ago my stomach started feeling very very bad. Burning, nausea, vomiting almost every morning before work, trouble eating, all that stuff. I asked my family doctor and he said i was too young to have acid reflux. went back a while later, and he finally gave me something for it, Tecta (Pantoprazole magnesium). I did start to notice a difference. My stomach wasn't as bad as it was, but it still sucked.

I went for all sorts of xrays and stuff, the tube down my throat, everything. They found nothing majorly wrong, which i guess i should have been happy about, but i wasn't. They said the only thing they noticed was acid reflux. I was crushed that they couldn't find an answer, even if it was cancer or something. I switched doctors about 1.5 years ago. Got a bunch of blood tests on everything from Chrohn's Disease to Celiac Disease. Once again, nothing. I cried when I heard the news.

Ever since then, my new doctor has been trying different things. I was taking Tecta twice a day, and tried out a bunch of different antidepressants and stuff, Zoloft, whatever. I've noticed a difference, but my stomach still feels at about a 4 every day, and i have no days where there is zero pain. I usually puke at least a few times a week. I was always afraid to try new medications, because one i tried made me projectile vomit every morning. This has gone down somewhat in the past two weeks, as i was taken off Tecta and put on Rabeprazole. I haven't puked in a few weeks, but my stomach still feels shitty.

Of course some days are worse than others, but it never fully goes away.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. I think i'm going to ask him to keep me on this new medication for now. Try it for a few more weeks.

As you all know, it is SO FRUSTRATING! some days i can handle it, sometimes i don't want to leave the house, others i'm in pain at work all day, sometimes i just want to end it all and stop breathing to get rid of this constant pain. I don't know what else to do and i feel hopeless at times. I don't know what to do if this new pill doesn't work, as my doctor has told me he's run out of different prescriptions to try.... I want to get the surgery, i'll ask him again, but i doubt it will happen.

So that's a part of my story. I'm sure i missed a lot and there is some bad grammar. Just feeling especially shitty today (and anxious!) I'm sick of complaining to my amazing boyfriend. So i came on here. Any thoughts, words of encouragement, suggestions, anything, would be greatly appreciated!

- Sarah

#2 TammyLee

TammyLee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hello Sarah,

I am fairly new to IBS. It came on in May and I suffered physically through a few months and had several of the usual tests and doctors until I got the diagnosis. I'm still having bad days, but things have gotten much better.

I empathize that you are going through so much! I wanted to say I don't know how much you have heard of the FODMAP list of foods, but it can be incredibly helpful! I also know of a site online that can also be helpful - the Well-Balanced FODMAPPER I think it's called.

I hope things get better for you very soon, Sarah! I trust as things get sorted out that you will become so much stronger in your journey through life and with your health.

Blessings to you & warmest regards,

Tammy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acid reflux, gerd, ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here