Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Have tried 'it all' for 4yrs, finally something is helping..

Tags
lactulose
3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hanamarie 
#1 ·
Hi,

Last 2yrs I have had daily type1 constipation. Hard dry rocks, not nice. I tried Movicol (polyethelene glycol?) and after a week it helped but gave me horrible bloating and gut pains. For years I have heard of Lactulose and it seems to have a bad rep with IBS so I avoided! Well, I see a bottle of it at my pharmacy for $5 and figure I'll try it.

Pre-lactulose:

extensive bloating after every meal no matter what the diet

painful type 1 stools, impactions etc

5 days of lactulose, 1 teaspoon after each meal plus water, and 1 tablespoon plus water before bed:

-day 3 stools went from type 1 to type 2

-day 4 stools type 3, later another type 4

-day 4 stools all type 4 !!

AND my bloating after meals is gone, IF I take 1tsp after the meals, how weird is this???

I am now flat stomach all day (vs. looking pregnant), and passing normal stools. I also am not gassy or bloated as many claim lactulose makes you.

I guess this goes to show how wildly different we all are. So far it's the best thing I've ever taken.

As far as I can tell lactulose is milk sugar that is poorly absorbed. This seems very low risk to me and I am prepared to stay on it forever if it helps, I can't deal with going back to how it was before.

Is there any concern over VERY long term use? How would it be detrimental if it's simply poorly absorbed milk sugar? They even use it as an additive in some foods.

I do hope to get down to a smaller maintenance dose, maybe 1tsp with each meal and leave it at that. So far a couple days of no bloating and no painful stools has been a much needed relief.

Just passing on my story and will keep updated. If you think "I better avoid Lactulose as it's not recommended", maybe you should try it for a week.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice to read a success story. Lactulose is not too bad, it does help me somewhat. My only complaint is that if I take more than 20ml in a day, it creates the most revolting stinky "wind". It pays to experiment, staring small, to find your dose to suit. As you say everyone is different, but Lactulose is worth trying. They give it routinely to sick people and old folks in care homes and hospitals, to help keep 'bowels open', I think it's pretty innocuous., and very easy to take.

#5 ·
so glad you found something to help--thanks for sharing!

lactulose made me really gassy and didn't help my C but that's me--we're all different.

as far as i know, lactulose is safe to take long term as long as you don't have diabetes (consult your doc if you do). i have a friend who has been taking it for years with good success.

#6 ·
On day 6ish and the relief is immense. My gut it working and bloating is gone. Sorry if TMI but today I seemed to have passed the last of a large impaction and now things are even going better. I am still sticking to 1 teaspoon after meals with some water, and 1 tablespoon 1hr before bed with 1-2 glasses of water. I just hope it keeps working, will update again in a few days..

#7 ·
Lactulose has helped me too. Gets peristalsis going and yes smelly wind! Like OP I seem to get uncomfortable whatever I eat so have given up on food restriction except for major ones, like onions and garlic.I take Benefibre in the morning. I have very large stools ( sorry TMI) and often feel more comfortable if I have a full colon ( bm every 3 or 4 days). Would that be mega colon or long sigmoid? Seem to do better on meat, fish chicken and some oil of fat.

#8 ·
This is an old topic, but I have had lactulose many years ago. I'm now at the stage that I have identified a lactose intolerance. (I did not want this to be the cause as I love dairy). It might not be my only problem, but eliminating dairy should hopefully give me some improvements. Anyhow, that is probably why some people can tolerate lactulose and some can't. It is not suitable for those with a lactose intolerance. There could be a lot more out there who, like me, have symptoms of IBS and actually have a lactose intolerance. I had ruled it out before as I have constipation predominantly and I thought lactose intolerance caused diarrhoea. However, by cutting right back on foods and then having a sachet cappucino, I got pain and bloating within half an hour. I checked the packet and the second ingredient was lactose. I then cut out all lactose the next day and had a gas-free evening. Things are in the early stages atm, but at least I have identified one problem food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.