Should I take this? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Should I take this?

drugs medicine ibs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tryingtofigureitout90

Tryingtofigureitout90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Advertisement

To quickly summarize I am a male in my mid 20's I've been suffering from IBS for 8 years. I also suffer from severe gas pain and burning in esophagus. I've had the following tests Colonoscopy 2008, Endoscopy 2014 Upper GI/Small Bowel Follow Through 2016 Multiple blood tests and Celicac test. All tests have come back negative. My new gastro doctor wants me to get another Colonoscopy to test again for Crones but I am reluctant because I became very ill from the prep. I can get into any other questions later but the main question is..

I recently (A few weeks ago) Was unlucky enough to test positive for Shiga Toxins which is a minor form of a food born virus E-Coli. I have been dealing with unusually painful and more frequent diarrhea then usual. It is not as bad as it was a week or so ago but still not 100%.  Doctors told me I couldn't be prescribed anything for  diarrhea but she did write me a proscription for hyoscyamine sulfate to help with abdominal pains and gas. 

I am often very wary of taking medication and I'll admit reading up on the internet is probably a bad idea but I have read I'd say 95% positive reviews from those who take this medicine but also read a few reviews that stated while it worked it also caused a delayed reaction where they felt fine for a few days but then had a "purge" where after the slowing effected of the medicine wore off it caused them to get a rush of diarrhea. Others reported dry mouth and constipation. But like I said majority of the reviews were very good I just get a little nervous when dealing with IBS... I'd love to take this and make myself feel better but I'm also scared to try it and have one of those adverse reactions. Has anyone dealt with this medication before and could give me their experience with it?

I also take Zantac by the way for my Heartburn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drugs, medicine, ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here