Caught the flu, took antibiotics, and crashed into depression - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Caught the flu, took antibiotics, and crashed into depression

flu antibiotics depression

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

Advertisement

Caught influenza 10 days ago, it caused severe respiratory distress and my physician prescribed antibiotic(levofloxacin). The antibiotics + antipyretics and the flu did a number on my stomach. Now crashed into severe depression most likely due to inflammation present in the body. God I hate these illnesses. Everything was going fine before the flu. Perhaps I should have had refused the antibiotic?

#2 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Caught a second infection now kidney infection plus a UTI. More antibiotics sigh.

#3 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

I'm sorry for what you are going through. Would IV antibiotics be easier for you?

The general advice is to take probiotics together with antibiotics. What is your experience with probiotics? Is there any product that you found helpful? Vsl3 didn't bother me but the response to probiotics is very individual so it is difficult to make a recommendation to a very sensitive patient like you.

#4 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

I'm sorry for what you are going through. Would IV antibiotics be easier for you?

The general advice is to take probiotics together with antibiotics. What is your experience with probiotics? Is there any product that you found helpful? Vsl3 didn't bother me but the response to probiotics is very individual so it is difficult to make a recommendation to a very sensitive patient like you.

Thank you for responding. My physician has instructed me to take lactic acid bacillus tablets alongside my antibiotics(cefpodoxime+ofloxacin). Unfortunately probiotics are very expensive here and I am not very well educated on them either. In the past I tried a probiotic (brand named enteroflora), it was expensive and it made me nauseous.

I hope I don't crash into colitis once more because these are broad spectrum antibiotics.

#5 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

Probiotics are tricky and expensive, and not necessarily effective. I am currently only using "probiotics" that I can make at home: yogurt, sauerkraut and beet kvass. The sauerkraut only a teaspoon a day as it really upsets my gut. Commercial sauerkraut is pasteurized and contains no probiotics. Homemade probiotics can also be tricky and problematic ...

I hope we make some breakthroughs in the uderstanding of this disease and its treament. We badly need it.

#6 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

I stay away from ANY Leva-anything antibiotics. I have doubt a couple courses of Levaquin helped put me where I ended up (from repeated/reoccuring eye infection).

#7 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I ended up where I am from these taken one after another: ciprofloxacin->azithromycin->ceftriaxone->augmentin->cefexime->ofloxacin. The word antibiotic sends chills up my spine but I know that letting these infections run rampant is far more dangerous.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flu, antibiotics, depression

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here