Bowel function issues after laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery after - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Bowel function issues after laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery after

constipation surgery prolapse bowel function

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wnorm

wnorm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Advertisement

"I am a 64 year-old woman with bowel function issues.
In May/2015 I had  perianal rectal prolapse surgery.  The prolapse recurred. I had been advised by my surgeon to do a 1.5 litre water enema daily since June/2015 because of associated bowel function issues. There was a long wait for surgery. As a result, the prolapse had become quite large and extremely painful. On Sept 13/2016 I had abdominal laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery without resection. Post-op instructions were minimal.
I suspect that long term use of water enemas, a hysterectomy in 2013, a hemorrhoidectomy in 2003, years of severe diarrhea due to poorly managed collagenous colitis, 2015 perianal rectal surgery, and finally Sept.13/2016 laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery may have been triggers in alteration of normal normal bowel motility. I have been suffering with severe constipation since the 2015 surgery. It is worse now.
I was advised to:
1)    avoid all H2O enemas until post op appointment Nov1. They strain stitches in abdomen.
2)   do liquid/soft diet for 2-3 days until bowels more normal
3)    I said that I was going to drink lactase milk to trigger bm. She said it was a good idea.
4)    Experiment with diet, fibre, stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, etc. 

My current status:
 I have been experimenting endlessly. Even low doses of  MOM, PEG, and stool softeners give me severe diarrhea.  Small amounts of foods higher in FODMAP, high fibre cereals, and even 1 tsp of Metamucil give me many hours of diarrhea, which is difficult to control. If I decrease fibre, evacuation is tedious or impossible, frequently even for soft stool. If the stool is more solid, I cannot evacuate it normally. I cannot sense that stool is present in the rectum. When I walk around the house, small  pieces of stool are evacuated accidentally.               
The question is: will I ever regain normal bowel function? How long does it take to normalize? I have not been able to leave my house since the surgery due to these bowel function problems.
However, I feel that you could offer me some advice regarding these bowel function issues. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. This situation is quite upsetting.
Thank-you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, surgery, prolapse, bowel function

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here