Bowel function issues after laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery after - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Bowel function issues after laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery after

constipation surgery prolapse bowel function

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wnorm

wnorm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Advertisement

"I am a 64 year-old woman with bowel function issues.
In May/2015 I had  perianal rectal prolapse surgery.  The prolapse recurred. I had been advised by my surgeon to do a 1.5 litre water enema daily since June/2015 because of associated bowel function issues. There was a long wait for surgery. As a result, the prolapse had become quite large and extremely painful. On Sept 13/2016 I had abdominal laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery without resection. Post-op instructions were minimal.
I suspect that long term use of water enemas, a hysterectomy in 2013, a hemorrhoidectomy in 2003, years of severe diarrhea due to poorly managed collagenous colitis, 2015 perianal rectal surgery, and finally Sept.13/2016 laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery may have been triggers in alteration of normal normal bowel motility. I have been suffering with severe constipation since the 2015 surgery. It is worse now.
I was advised to:
1)    avoid all H2O enemas until post op appointment Nov1. They strain stitches in abdomen.
2)   do liquid/soft diet for 2-3 days until bowels more normal
3)    I said that I was going to drink lactase milk to trigger bm. She said it was a good idea.
4)    Experiment with diet, fibre, stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, etc. 

My current status:
 I have been experimenting endlessly. Even low doses of  MOM, PEG, and stool softeners give me severe diarrhea.  Small amounts of foods higher in FODMAP, high fibre cereals, and even 1 tsp of Metamucil give me many hours of diarrhea, which is difficult to control. If I decrease fibre, evacuation is tedious or impossible, frequently even for soft stool. If the stool is more solid, I cannot evacuate it normally. I cannot sense that stool is present in the rectum. When I walk around the house, small  pieces of stool are evacuated accidentally.               
The question is: will I ever regain normal bowel function? How long does it take to normalize? I have not been able to leave my house since the surgery due to these bowel function problems.
However, I feel that you could offer me some advice regarding these bowel function issues. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. This situation is quite upsetting.
Thank-you

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10529 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:31 PM

i am so very sorry for all your problems.  you have been through so much with all the surgeries and now you have all this happening--so sorry.

i wish i had some advice for you but i don't, not having been through anything like this  myself.  we do have a number of people here who have had prolapse surgery so hopefully some of them can answer your questions.  since you have two posts here in this forum that are identical, i am going to move one of them to the General Discussion forum so more people will see it.

i do wish your doctors could help you more with all of this.  and i do hope that soon you can find some answers and some relief.  take good care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hi,
I had rectopexy (but with 6 inch colon resection) and the prolapse came back a few months later. Prior to surgery, my bowel movements were very normal and daily. After surgery, I eventually just stopped going all together. The only thing that has been working (for almost a year id say) is taking dulcolax sometimes combined with magnesium citrate. I only do this on weekends so I can be at home. Some weeks it works great, others not so much. I know it can be so hard. Hang in there.
  • annie7 likes this

#4 rewinj

rewinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

I had laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery as well (+ sigmoid resection), and am in the same boat. Severely worsened obstructed defecation & now recurrence of prolapse. Sigh. Waiting for the next surgery but in the pits of despair. Mineral oil + insane kegel exercises like 24/7 have kept me moving enough. Going to experiment with dulcolax tonight but scared based on fodmap/diarrhea/etc. situation.

#5 rewinj

rewinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

I find I can only really get good eliminations while standing or lying on my side since recurrence. unsure.png sad.png sad.png

#6 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

I had laparoscopic rectal prolapse surgery as well (+ sigmoid resection), and am in the same boat. Severely worsened obstructed defecation & now recurrence of prolapse. Sigh. Waiting for the next surgery but in the pits of despair. Mineral oil + insane kegel exercises like 24/7 have kept me moving enough. Going to experiment with dulcolax tonight but scared based on fodmap/diarrhea/etc. situation.

Sorry for your anal woes Rewinj, I have had two hemorrhoidectomies myself. Healing up afterwards was ROUGH. blink.png

A while back someone else had posted the same thing here that you just did, they had rectal prolapse surgery, then a little while later it happened again. 

Have you ever tried Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula to keep things moving inside you or no? See link below, if interested:

http://www.ibsgroup....-can-recommend/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, surgery, prolapse, bowel function

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here