IBS-D Becoming IBS-C? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-D Becoming IBS-C?

IBS D IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TimidZiggy

TimidZiggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Advertisement

For the longest time I had problems and was diagnosed with I IBS-D but then now all of a sudden it's constipation all the time. Without fail. Last week I was sick for two whole days because I was constipated and I was in the bathroom for literal hours having to force out everything while also feeling like I was going to puke. It never got any softer and it never turned to diarrhea. IT was all just very hard the entire time. It was the worst thing I've experienced in months. Is this "normal" to happen or is it a sign of colon cancer? I mean I am still able to go but man that was the WORST. 

I was actually handling my IBS really REALLY well for years. Then suddenly I was unfairly laid off from my job (and this isn't an exaggeration there's literally a lawsuit because of how unfairly they laid me off and I can prove it) I'm 20 thousand dollars in debt, I am in the process of getting a full mouth replacement of teeth. I have had 2 really important people die on me this year of cancer. A third very close to me person is about to die of cancer (has 3 months to live she's declining treatment) I support her decision but it's no less sad. I also have a dual diagnosis of PTSD and OCD. Not to mention a stalker who is after me (long story not going to get into it but I'm not exaggerating as much as it sounds like I am). 

I figure all of this is factors in the recent change (Plus a recent diagnosis of endometriosis). I just want to know if any of this is normal. I did see my GI and I did mention chronic constipation he didn't seem too concerned with it (or that my GERD has gotten OFF THE CHARTS bad these days). I'm wondering if I should be more insistent with him or if I'm just freaking out a bit too much. Oh and I should mention that since i lost my job I'm barely BARELY getting sleep due to anxiety and nightmares, I broke up with my fiance after 3 years of a relationship and well I am just old, broke, and have nothing going right. Which from what I understand can all effect bowel/stomach habits. Right? I really just don't want it to be more serious (and I fear like grim death it might be) 

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9263 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

so very sorry for all you've been through--what a lot of stressful situations--way too much.

and yes, you're right.  stress--especially extreme amounts of it non-stop like you've been experiencing--has a tremendous effect on the bowels. it's the whole mind/body thing.  it can cause or make constipation worse to say nothing of GERD. 

endometriosis can also worsen constipation.

it's good you've talked to your gastroenterologist.   i do hope your gastro doc was able to give you a treatment plan to help manage your GERD as well as your constipation.  i would imagine that if he had thought you were presenting with any of the red flags for cancer, he would have had ordered further testing--blood tests, a colonoscopy etc.

there is a lot of good information and tips for dealing with chronic constipation here on the board so you might want to take some time and do some reading.  one useful thread is this:

http://www.ibsgroup....st-of-remedies/

one thing that might be helpful in managing your constipation could be taking magnesium supplements.  the amount and which type of mag supplement varies from individual to individual. you have to experiment to see what works for you. there are many different kinds: magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide,  chelated magnesium,  liquid magnesium citrate (the supplement--not the stuff in the bottles you buy at the drug store) etc. a lot of people like powdered magnesium supplements  like natural calm- you mix in water and drink it .   Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass. because magnesium helps relax muscles, it can also help relax you and many people  find that taking  magnesium before bedtime helps them sleep.   we've got a ton of magnesium threads on here.

if your constipation is a chronic, daily thing, you might find it helpful to take something (like miralax etc) daily to help you go and to keep things moving so as to avoid a back up and becoming impacted.  there are also medications that can help with constipation.   discuss all this with your gastro doc.

and hopefully you can find ways of dealing with the stress and to help you relax.  meditation can be useful--also yoga, mindfulness techniques, cbt etc. there is a lot of info online about this. i personally found meditation quite helpful  it's very grounding.  cbt helped me too.

good luck with everything.  i do hope things get better for you and that you can find some help and relief  from all this.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 TimidZiggy

TimidZiggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

I told my doc that I've been taking Docusate (Doculax) whatever the point is that's what I take but I don't take it every day and he said it's fine to take daily but it seems like that's not even doing anything. I have yet to try Miralax not sure how it'll effect me so it hasn't been on the top of my list. However I only take one pill of Docusate a day so maybe I should up it to 2 (the bottle even says you can take three in a day) so that's what I'm going to attempt to try. I know I need to exercise more (cause I know that helps) but because I am barely sleeping I don't have the energy to get up and do any of that stuff. I am well versed in CBT and have been thinking about doing yoga but the thing is I know I won't do it unless I'm in a class for it and those classes are expensive, I'm broke (like I said) and thinking about it just makes me stressed all over again. Anyway thank you for your help. I just really don't want to get cancer as I've seen it take three people from me this year who I love dearly. 

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9263 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

so it sounds like you're taking the dulcolax brand of  docusate, which is a stool softener.  stool softeners can help some people. if one pill isn't working, yes, try taking more.   if  that doesn't help,   then miralax may be more effective. if you try it, start with a low dose or even half a dose to get an idea of how it affects you.   

my constipation problems were so bad that i had to take three dulcolax (bisacodyl) stimulant laxative pills . this was with my gastro doc's advice, since nothing else worked for me. he told me to take whatever i needed to go because that was better than getting backed up and impacted. 

good luck with everything.  

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS D, IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here