Hyperactive abdominal sounds - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Hyperactive abdominal sounds

IBS bloating gas low FODMAP FODMAP dicetel stomach rumbling stomach pain abdominal sounds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 katiie

katiie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

Advertisement

I've been suffering from symptoms of IBS for three years. For a long time I thought it was lactose intolerance; symptoms decreased after cutting out dairy but didn't disappear. I had occasional diarrhea and gas as well as bowel movements several times a day but these symptoms were usually manageable... the only one that really bothered me was the loud noises my stomach made ALL the time, bad enough that I'd have to skip class or miss out on social events. The sounds were usually accompanied by gas/bloating, so I attributed them to my other symptoms. When I went to the doctor he said IBS was a safe assumption, and without doing any tests prescribed dicetel, which didn't seem to help much so I stopped taking it. I recently started the low FODMAP diet (about 4 weeks ago) and it almost immediately relieved all symptoms except the hyperactive abdominal sounds, which actually have gotten worse since starting the new diet. In the past 4 weeks my bowel movements have been consistently once a day and I have not suffered from any gas, bloating, diarrhea, or stomach pain, but my stomach rumbles even more than it did before, especially at night (and lasts all night until I eat breakfast the next morning, no matter if/what I eat at night before bed). It interferes with school and with my personal life and I don't know how to treat it. I'm wondering if anyone else suffers from these symptoms and what I should do about it... any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

Ya I also suffer from these rumbling noises from the stomach. These noises come and go, its a headache but these aren't anything dangerous, it means that your intestines are hard at work. These noises are also called borborgymi. Do your best to ignore them.

#3 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

I have the same exact symptoms as you, along with the very annoying stomach noises. It's a good thing that your stomach is making noises (better than non at all), again like the person above said it just means that your intestines are hard at work. To me it sounds like you have IBS, but a not so severe case of it. Once I cut out dairy and followed a FODMAP diet my symptoms reduced significantly and I go once a day regularly, but I occasionally have bad gas and stomach noises. I think this is because the IBS is still there, but because of reducing trigger foods the symptoms aren't as severe. Also, if you're eating a lot of fiber that makes your intestines work harder since sometimes it can be harder to break down. Theres nothing to really do to avoid these stomach noises, you just have to live with them no matter how hard that seems. What seems to reduce my symptoms more is exercising and reducing stress, which can definitely help.

#4 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

“Don’t be the Saint who died from a stomachache just because he wouldn’t touch a tomato.”

cooked tomato juice, sun dried tomatoes, cooked peppers are great ideas for the issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, bloating, gas, low FODMAP, FODMAP, dicetel, stomach rumbling, stomach pain, abdominal sounds

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here