Please help! Low fodmap, 1 week, blood and D - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Please help! Low fodmap, 1 week, blood and D

diarrhea blood fodmap spinach

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lorna0

lorna0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

Advertisement

Hello I'm new to this site but I am wondering if you could help me. The hospital provided me with a the low FODMAP to try, I have been doing it very strict for a week and have felt much better already, less bloatedness, wind on a night etc, I even ate out without worrying, however yesterday I had the usual gluten free bread with pork and salad leaf sandwich and a packet of plain crisps. I was feeling exra hungry throughout the day, I had smoked fish with chips, carrots and spinach for tea, and about 30 mins after that I had awful stomach pains, nausea and really bad diarrhea (I haven't had an episode like this for months. I woke up this morning was fine for 10 mins and had to rush to the toilet again where I had more diarrhea but there was fresh blood in it. I mentioned this to my mum and last monday when I did a stool sample for docs there was black bits in and we didn't know what it is, not sure if it is blood or whether its undigested salad leaves maybe. My partner says he cant have spinach because he gets a bad stomach from it, used a bout 1/3 of a large bag. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be my body not used to this diet or something else? If anyone has any answers please let me know!

I'm writing in a blog about my daily finds etc if this helps... 

Please help!

#2 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

Its important to note that fodmap is not a total cure, so it is good that you responded well! As for the bad spell you had, I suspect it is due to a few things:

1. Eating too much - fodmap stresses to eat little and often throughout the day

2. Pork - there isn't much consensus on this but I have heard pig should be avoided on fodmap

3. Chips - I tend to avoid any foods which are oily and deep fried, they are not good for IBS D

#3 Maria S.

Maria S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

Many people have issues with spinach, because it contains too much fiber, so it is difficult to digest. The problem could be either the spinach, or the chisps. Fodmap is a good diet, but this doesn't mean that whatever is considered safe in the fodmap, is also safe for you and the same stands for the foods that fodmap says to eliminate. So, fodmap diet helps mainly as a guide. If something that is considered safe in fodmap, causes you a flare, you should try to reduce it anyway. Fodmap helped me a lot too! I wish you good luck!

#4 lorna0

lorna0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for your replies, I never eat big meals anyway and struggling a bit with being hungry a lot so I've mentioned to my manager at work that I keep snacks around like rice cakes etc in the office so I can eat little and often at work (I've been doing a lot of overtime and on a different department and skipping breaks etc.) I will stay away from spinach now just incase and limit my salad leaves if I can, I bet I'm just not digesting it properly, that's all ive been eating for days. As for the chips i havent been bad on them recently (I managed to eat out at my fave restaurant with steak and chips the other day and didn't have to rush home and even stayed out for a few drinks! (Cordials) I felt great so I hope it isn't chips because I'm running out of foods to eat! I'm really trying this diet because I'm at the end of my tether after 11 years with ibs!

#5 PetitChou

PetitChou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

You might want to try one of the more intensive diets, like the SCD. I ate low-FODMAP for a long time, which is helpful, but it wasn't enough. I started having bad episodes after all sorts of foods that used to be ok. Now I'm trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is hard to do but meant to be very healing. I'm not sure for myself yet, but there are tons of people online who have had success with it. I've also had IBS for 10+ years, so I know how desperate that is. If you try the SCD diet, I would also keep avoiding the FODMAPS. SCD allows a lot of them and for me they're always a problem. 

I hope you feel better soon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diarrhea, blood, fodmap, spinach

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here