Right side spasm, started with menstruation - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Right side spasm, started with menstruation

spasm IBS Food allergy IBS D/C right side abdominal pain menstration wheat dairy caffeine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlyssaS

AlyssaS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Advertisement

Hi there,

For a little over a year, I've been experiencing spasming pain in the right side of my abdominal area. At first, it only came with my period. I went to a gyno and had an ultrasound and examination- there were no signs of endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and everything else was normal. Over the last several months, the spasm has gotten worse. I'm working on nailing down the cause, and am hoping for other stories/suggestions.

In 2010, I stopped eating gluten/wheat/sugar because I was experiencing terrible D/C, and had no idea what was going on. Since then, I've chalked it up to a wheat intolerance and candida overgrowth. I've been able to successfully manage D/C with diet and exercise, with some bouts when I'm not so good with my diet. So the pain in my abdominal area is a new development. 

This past August, I started seeing an acupuncturist who suggested I take a tincture for digestive issues. I stupidly threw out what I had been doing (a daily non-psyllium husk fiber supplement which had been working great for several months), and took the tincture for a week full force. That really f**ked up my digestion, and along with a very stressful period of time, I had a bout of D/C along with spasming almost every day for about a month-month 1/2. The spasming would leave me weak and somewhat nauseous, and would often be exascerbated by walking/activity. I got a massage during this time, thinking it was a muscle issue, and that seriously exacerbated the pain as well. I stopped taking the tincture completely, and went on probiotics as well as back to my gluten/wheat/sugar/alcohol/ (mostly) dairy free diet. This helped a lot and my daily spasms slowly decreased/went away, and my BM were back to normal. I should note that during the crisis period, I found a GI at Northwestern who put me through a colonoscopy and MRI with normal results (they did a biopsy as well and found nothing). So while not having colon cancer or Crohn's was a relief, my GI doctor basically said that he hoped it cleared up. He was horrible (as I'm seeing most GI Dr.s are on here). 

Now I am traveling the world long-term. I still take probiotics twice a day, along with tumeric once a day. But in the last week, the spasming has returned. I can only imagine that it is diet related, as I've been in France drinking espresso, eating soft cheese and eating more fat than normal. It also seems like while I can tolerate a certain amount of these foods, it will build up after a few days and there will be an attack. My BM are still pretty good and regular. I haven't been officially diagnosed with IBS (because of the above terrible doctor with no answers), and definitely not diagnosed with spastic bowels. Once I have an initial attack, the spasming seems to last for a few days and will clear up as long as I stop consuming triggers (this time I think it was the caffeine and soft dairy, even more so than wheat). 

Has anyone experienced anything similar that could share their story? Anything that works for you in terms of supplements? Do you find spasming like this leads to anything else or gets worse over time? I know I have to control my diet better, but next stop is Italy so...lol. I need all the help I can get! Thanks. 

#2 Savannah88

Savannah88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

Yes, menstrual/monthly time does impact the bowels so to speak. I have spasms depending on what I eat and seemingly when I eat it. Feel free to message me if you need to vent, traveling sounds exciting.

• AlyssaS likes this

#3 AIRPLANE

AIRPLANE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:05 AM

The only way to definitively diagnose or rule out endometriosis is via an exploratory laparoscopy with an endometriosis expert. And there are only about 100 'true' endometriosis experts in the world who have the up-to-date knowledge and skills to recognize it and then treat it via excision, NOT ablation or hormonal treatments. There are unfortunately a lot of gynecologists who advertise themselves as endometriosis and/or pelvic pain experts but really aren't. And the best ones do not also deliver babies- they only do gynecological surgery so they develop better skills and also are not distracted, delayed or interrupted during surgery.

A good online source is the CEC (Center for Endometriosis Care) in Atlanta, Georgia where you can read articles by Dr Ken Sinervo who is one of those top experts.

http://www.centerforendo.com

#4 AIRPLANE

AIRPLANE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Some good links from the Center for Endometriosis Care.

http://www.centerfor...-endometriosis/

http://www.centerfor...triosis-or-ibs/

#5 AlyssaS

AlyssaS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Yes, menstrual/monthly time does impact the bowels so to speak. I have spasms depending on what I eat and seemingly when I eat it. Feel free to message me if you need to vent, traveling sounds exciting.

Thanks so much Savannah88. I'm interested to hear more about your experience. I'll message you. Thanks again!

#6 AlyssaS

AlyssaS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:14 AM

The only way to definitively diagnose or rule out endometriosis is via an exploratory laparoscopy with an endometriosis expert. And there are only about 100 'true' endometriosis experts in the world who have the up-to-date knowledge and skills to recognize it and then treat it via excision, NOT ablation or hormonal treatments. There are unfortunately a lot of gynecologists who advertise themselves as endometriosis and/or pelvic pain experts but really aren't. And the best ones do not also deliver babies- they only do gynecological surgery so they develop better skills and also are not distracted, delayed or interrupted during surgery.

A good online source is the CEC (Center for Endometriosis Care) in Atlanta, Georgia where you can read articles by Dr Ken Sinervo who is one of those top experts.

http://www.centerforendo.com

This is great to know, Airplane. I'll definitely look at these resources. The pain has gone away mostly during menstruation now, and occurs more frequently depending on what I eat. I don't know why it started around menstruation- maybe it has something to do with the irritated muscles or bloating irritating an irritated intestine or something tongue.png Thanks again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spasm, IBS, Food allergy, IBS D/C, right side, abdominal pain, menstration, wheat, dairy, caffeine

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here