Rifaximin SIBO - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Rifaximin SIBO

rifaximin sibo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rajiv_gupta

rajiv_gupta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Advertisement

I had taken Rifaximin for many years. as long as I took it the diarrhea was manageable.

Seven months back I discontinued it and slowly the diarrhea crept back.

my question is if Rifaximin kills bacteria in the guts, how it differentiates between the good and the bad bacteria.

and if it also kills good bacteria then would it not exacerbate IBS D in the long run.

#2 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

I don't think it really differentiates. It just cuts down on bacteria of all types. This is good for those of us who have some sort of bacterial overgrowth or imbalance. If antibiotics helped you, you probably had an overgrowth or imbalance of bacteria which was minimized by the rifaximin. If you're feeling worse now, it's probably because the bacteria are not being held in check anymore and proliferating without restraint.
  • rajiv_gupta likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rifaximin, sibo

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here