Frequent mucus passing - could this be IBS? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Frequent mucus passing - could this be IBS?

mucus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ringbananaphone

ringbananaphone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what's going on with my body.

I visited a doctor a few weeks ago to explain my problems, he pressed on my abdominen to check for pain (there was none) and stuck a finger up my bum and gave me an appointment for a gastroenterologist in SIX MONTHS - because my issues were deemed non-urgent.

So while I wait for my gastroenterologist appointment in May, I'd love to at least get an idea of what's going on with me so I can try adjusting my diet or schedule to ease the problems.

Me:

5'7", 150 lbs healthy 28 year old woman. Very few health issues throughout my life, an occasional bout of asthma but that's it.

All my life I've had a steel stomach. I could eat absolutely anything and my BMs would remain normal. Very few instances of stomach pain and I haven't vomited (or really felt nauseous) since I was a child. I've played around with different diet types in the past few years, anywhere from low-carb healthy to basically all carbs junk food.

The issues:

Some time in October, out of nowhere, I began expelling mucus with my BMs. Sometimes I feel pressure but go to the bathroom only to expel large amounts of gas and mucus. 

Since October, this has been a daily occurrence. Basically every time I go to the bathroom to pee, I will also expel some gas and mucus. The mucus can be clear, yellow, orange or brown and sometimes dotted with fresh blood. The consistency of my BMs hasn't changed - they're usually slightly firm pellets or a bit softer. Never diarrhea. 

No abdominal pain, although sometimes I feel a bit of dull pain coming from somewhere maybe 3-6 inches up into my body from my anus.

I know there's not much to be done until a gastroenterologist can take a peek, but does this sound like IBS to you? Or something else? Should I try the low FODMAP diet to see if it helps?

Thank you.

#2 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

What does your typical diet look like right now?

#3 ringbananaphone

ringbananaphone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

What does your typical diet look like right now?

I've been jumping around between different foods since this started happening and it's been a bit chaotic with the Christmas holidays and New Years. Way too many Christmas cookies...

I'm generally very low-sugar, basically only drink water and tea. No coffee. I usually skip breakfast. Lunch is usually sandwich, soup or nibbly things like crackers, cheese, salami, nuts, chips. 

Dinner is a few cups of steamed frozen veggies, or edamame with a protein like baked chicken thighs, slow-cooker roasted pork, steak. If I'm craving carbs I'll make a creamy pasta dish instead. 

For snacks I go for cheese (love cheese), almond milk with cereal, an apple with peanut butter or yogurt. Sometimes I make homemade breads to eat with cheese.

Of course, sometimes all that gets thrown out the window and I'll skip breakfast and lunch and get KFC for dinner.

I tried incorporating fermented food into my diet for a few weeks when this first started happening (probiotic pills, kefir, kombucha, kimchi, pickles) and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I know that getting a good diet routine down will help a lot in diagnosing, so that's why I'm wondering if I should try low FODMAP.

#4 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hmmm... have you tried cutting dairy and seeing if it helps?

#5 ringbananaphone

ringbananaphone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hmmm... have you tried cutting dairy and seeing if it helps?

Nope but I can definitely give it a shot. I already prefer the taste of almond milk so that's fine. Hard cheeses are my main weakness but I can leave them alone for a while to see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mucus

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here