IBS RUNNING, DIET AND PROTEIN SHAKES - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS RUNNING, DIET AND PROTEIN SHAKES

RUNNING PROTEIN ALOE VERA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SuzyS

SuzyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:37 AM

Advertisement

Hi

I'm new to this site but I was hoping I might be able to get some advice. I'm getting desperate

I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago and I have Buscopan on prescription. I suffer with bloating, stomach cramps, bad smelling wind, constipation and diarrhoea, it can be pretty bad. I can put up with it doing normal everyday tasks but I run and race a lot.

I need to find something I can eat during the day that won't affect my running. I've recently been trying Porridge in a morning and tuna for lunch. I don't know if Tuna is a trigger but I can't run 8 minutes a mile without stopping mid run with chronic diarrhoea. I'd like to find a protein shake that I could drink during the day but I scarred that will cause me a problem. I've joined the site as my rule of thumb used to be running faster than 7 minutes a mile on anything but porridge and I'd have to stop, now its 8 minutes. I need help

I've also read Aloe Vera is good?

Can anyone help I want to train for a Ultra and the IBS is causing a problem. I'm also reluctant to train with other people at the moment in case I have to stop suddenly.

Thanks Suzy

#2 zeroblue

zeroblue

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:29 AM

You can to buy soylent. Be careful because it may cause gas and need to use the washroom. It might not though, just try it and home for now.

#3 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Liquid foods and IBS do not generally mix well. That is because food which is not in it's whole-food form is not subject to normal digestion patterns and thus can reach the colon largely undigested, which can cause issues even in normal people. 

I would suggest that you look closely at your diet and find out your triggers. You need to begin researching IBS seriously and really look at the causes for your health issues. Care to post your daily meals here?

Also, running an ultra marathon isn't as simple as drinking a protein shake. You are going to have to work for years with very specific timing of foods and simple carbs while you are running to build up to it. Solving your IBS and running an ultra will go hand in hand eventually. You're going to need to understand nutrients, calories, and all the other specific details involved with food or you will likely burn out before you ever run an ultra. 

It is my opinion that you would be wise to start researching IBS as much as possible. 

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RUNNING, PROTEIN, ALOE VERA

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here