The ABC's of Chronic Constipation (aka IBS-C) - Page 2 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

The ABC's of Chronic Constipation (aka IBS-C)

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 richgel999

richgel999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

I had really bad constipation for several years, and managed it using small amounts of fiber and 5-HTP. I strongly feel it's due to an unbalanced or weak gut flora. As my gut biota recovered from antibiotics taken for SIBO, my motility steadily improved. I took a ton of prebiotics (Inulin and others) and ate lots of probiotic yogurt (fermented for 24 hours, and I also added raw sugar to the milk before sterilizing it to make it stronger). I had to find the right probiotics for me, which took time and experimentation. Normal store-bought yogurt doesn't do anything for me, and actually makes me feel worse.

• microbe likes this

#22 microbe

microbe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

I had really bad constipation for several years, and managed it using small amounts of fiber and 5-HTP. I strongly feel it's due to an unbalanced or weak gut flora. As my gut biota recovered from antibiotics taken for SIBO, my motility steadily improved. I took a ton of prebiotics (Inulin and others) and ate lots of probiotic yogurt (fermented for 24 hours, and I also added raw sugar to the milk before sterilizing it to make it stronger). I had to find the right probiotics for me, which took time and experimentation. Normal store-bought yogurt doesn't do anything for me, and actually makes me feel worse.

This is great. Have you done uBiome? I found it really helpful in determining missing populations of beneficial bacteria.

Also mind sharing which probiotics ended up being good for you?

I'm thinking of doing anaerobic ferments which supposedly are low in histamine.

#23 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'm trying one less regular strength I.F. # 1 per day for the next few days, just for the hell of it. So just for the record I'll be taking one I.F. # 1 regular strength and one I.F. # 1 maximum strength per day, just for a few days, just to see how it goes. I noticed today I was a lot less thirsty after my first BM.

-It (life) doesn't get any better than this! tongue.png biggrin.png

#24 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

Intestines working well on one less I.F. # 1 pill a day. My aloe pills...

Now-Foods-Aloe-Vera-Softgels-164x300.jpg

....that I've been taking the last several months definitely help with that clumpy feeling my intestines have post-BM. I take about 6 pills per day, two with every meal. It's not perfect, but it does feel better inside.

I would like to try to get down to just one I.F. # 1 maximum strength pill per day. I'll probably try one less I.F. # 1 regular strength pill in another couple of weeks, as I need to let my intestines adjust accordingly. 

If I can have more normal BM's I figure I could actually apply for employment on first shift. Now? Homey don't think so!

#25 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Just a ho-hum anal update because it seems like it's always slow on Sundays here:

Tried just one I.F. # 1 maximum strength capsule yesterday and that's it. Boy, I can tell the difference. Stool was kinda hard today, didn't like it. I think one I.F. # 1 max strength and one I.F. regular strength capsule per day is the best bet for me.

...At the very least I did manage to take two less I.F. # 1 regular strength capsules over time.

P.S. I know this is wishful thinking but I would love nothing more than to be a normal pooper again one day! 

• Axx likes this

#26 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

thanks for the update.  and oh yes--that's the dream of everyone here--to be a normal pooper again !

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#27 mrs.sarah.scott

mrs.sarah.scott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the insightful post! It is aLways simply refreshing to read other people's accounts to prove that I'm not alone!
  • Patrick ibs c likes this

#28 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the insightful post! It is aLways simply refreshing to read other people's accounts to prove that I'm not alone!

You're very welcome Mrs. Sara Scott!

#29 frustratedcguy

frustratedcguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

Hi there,

I've been dealing with C for quite some time now - slow transit to be precise. I thought I had been cured for about a year after I took a round of antibiotics that got me moving for that time, but things slowed down again to my normal schedule of 2-3 times a week (from once a day during that post-antibiotic year). Just a few weeks ago I ate very simple foods (no veggies or fibrous items) for a few days and I started using the bathroom once a day on average for a few weeks. I'm quickly reverting back to my normal slow-transit schedule, and I'm not sure whether to go back to a low-fiber diet or not. I don't feel great on the low-fiber diet, due to the high amount of carbs and low amount of vegetables, so I'm sort of avoiding it for the time being

Any input would be helpful. Thanks

#30 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

I think I figured it out? I started taking erythromycin pills about a month or two ago for my skin (acne). I stopped when I did my bowel detox, but started again afterwards. I think - perhaps? that the bowel detox cleaned me up inside and now perhaps the erythromycin is kicking in? It didn't change my BM's before the detox, but now? They are different.

In a day or two I think I'll try not taking any erythromycin for a few days and see what the results are. 

#31 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

yes, erythromycin is a prokinetic  and is used off label to stimulate gut motility.  

so it could be that it is kicking in --maybe the detox helped with that.  

• flossy likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#32 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

yes, erythromycin is a prokinetic  and is used off label to stimulate gut motility.  

so it could be that it is kicking in --maybe the detox helped with that.  

Makes sense.

I take antibiotics on and off every few years, for acne. I always noticed before that erythromycin was tough on my stomach (I should probably say intestines).

This time it didn't bother my intestines at all, until after I did the bowel detox. Now afterwards? I feel it. I even think I could take a little less Intestinal Formula a day, probably one less pill? (Hmmmmmm, I wonder.....ph34r.png )

#33 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

hmmmm is right.  it would be an interesting experiment. thanks for keeping us posted, as you always do smile.png

• flossy likes this

#34 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

hmmmm is right.  it would be an interesting experiment. thanks for keeping us posted, as you always do smile.png

And as always, Annie7, thanks for all the kind replies!

#35 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

smile.png smile.png

#36 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'm gonna try no erythromycin for the next two days, see if it makes a difference. (((I'm bettin' yes.)))

#37 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

i'm betting "yes". too.  good luck!

#38 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm definitely going back on the erythromycin, it makes a big difference and I only stopped for one day. 

#39 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:51 AM

thanks for the update. that's impressive that just one day made a difference.  i've read posts on here  about erythromycin and how it can help with C.

• flossy likes this

#40 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:58 AM

Flossy, I know you had mentioned using enemas at one time.  When I was having bad IBS-C issues, I found that a plain water enema sometimes helped if I felt like I was close to having to go, but nothing would come out.  It was a bit of a gamble, because if it failed to cause a significant movement, it was apt to make me feel worse.

I seldom use water enemas anymore because I have more issues with D than C nowadays.  As an aside, it was the strangest thing.  Over time, I was having worse and worse issues with constipation.  It culminated in a situation where I was pretty much never going.  I would combine Miralax and a senna laxative, and still not go.  I probably hadn't gone for 2-3 weeks, when it got so bad with severe constipation and nausea that I went to the ER out of fear that I had an obstruction.  I didn't, but I was backed up, so they told me to take a dose of magnesium citrate along with stool softener.  The magnesium citrate made me feel really horrible and didn't cause any significant bm--just some liquid came out.

Finally, I had a bout of severe cramps and D.  After that, my IBS changed to where I had alternating C and D.

I certainly wouldn't regard this as being "cured".  I continued to have bad IBS issues that I believe are only somewhat better now because I take Miralax daily.  But to be honest, I would rather tend more toward D than C, so I feel your pain.  Plus, I found that getting a bidet toilet seat attachment reduced the severe irritation and hemorrhoid problems from excessive wiping.

• flossy likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here