Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

The ABC's of Chronic Constipation (aka IBS-C)

42K views 167 replies 30 participants last post by  flossy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
- Updated on 8/22/2018 -

Observations and suggestions to my fellow chronically constipated friends:

Hello everyone! I have been an active member here for a few years now and just wanted to pass along some pertinent information that I've learned about IBC-C, aka chronic constipation (or CC for short). I will be going over everything from the "just eat more fiber" theory to surgical procedures, and covering everything in-between that comes to mind. Keep in mind I'm gonna be honest here and not sugarcoat stuff.

For those who are new here:

Fiber: Most doctors will suggest to eat more fiber to help with your constipation. I grudgingly agree that this should be tried first and foremost, and if it works consider yourselves off the hook. Honestly? You people are REALLY lucky..... But if that doesn't work? This is very common with the CC crowd. I'd say about 80 to 90% of us here find more fiber, both soluble and insoluble, just makes us more constipated. Extra fiber is out of the question for me. I took a doctor-recommended fiber supplement for awhile and it was like trying to pass tree branches, in slow motion. Screw that. So if after a few days extra fiber doesn't work, try no extra fiber at all. Zilch. (Easy enough.)

Water: You can also try drinking more water, but for me? Drinking more water did nothing for my constipation and just made me pee more. Not good when you're at work all day. In theory lots of water should probably help, but for a lot of us it doesn't do squat.

Colonoscopy: If you have been chronically constipated for some time now I think it's important to get a colonoscopy, to check for things like blockage, diverticulitis, certain types of cancer(s), whatnot. If you get put to sleep for the procedure your colonoscopy should be a breeze, and I'm not exaggerating. Always ask BEFORE making an appointment if they put you to sleep or just put you on twilight drugs. If they use just twilight drugs? Call someone else, as it's much better to be out for the procedure.

Now to the actual bowel moving process:

I suggest waiting until the very last minute (if not second!) to go. Sitting on the toilet and trying to go is not a good idea at all. Good way to get hemorrhoids, or to make them even worse. I also think waiting until you can't wait any longer to go is a good idea because one gets better evacuation that way.

Very important:

Supplements: If you're currently not taking a supplement every day to help you go to the bathroom, you really, really should. Sad to say but chronic constipation rarely goes away on its own. Don't be stupid, find something that works and take it every day. I tried to tough it out for a long time - probably a year or two - and got horrible hemorrhoids (grade 4, the worst you can get) from trying to go, as nothing much would move inside me. (Note: You can also get rectal prolapse from CC.) I've had two hemorrhoidectomies because of this and recovery afterwards is quite painful. I've tried just about everything and normally take & recommend Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 (I take 2 or 3 regular strength pills daily).

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/239065-finally-a-product-i-can-recommend/

Note: The ^above^ link has just about everything I've ever tried to stop my CC.

BTW, I'm not paid to plug I.F. # 1. I'm coming up on three years of using it now. It's all herbal and the formula is made by a real doctor. Also, I can eat just about anything I want, as long as I take I.F. # 1 daily.

Now you might be thinking, "'Fluffy,' don't you worry that by taking laxatives every day your intestines won't work right after awhile, or you'll get addicted to the laxatives?" ...Something of that nature? Honestly? NO.

'Is chronic use of stimulant laxatives harmful to the colon?'

Click on below link to read (it's short):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12702977

My intestines already don't work right and barring a miracle, probably never will again. It's the ugly truth. I don't mean to be a bummer but I've read very few success stories about CC. Usually? With the "I'm cured!" stories? They are still taking a supplement, something to help them go. If you still are taking a supplement and say that you're cured, you're really not cured. What you are is successfully treating your condition. Big difference. Cured in my book means you eat & drink what you want. You're not constipated anymore. You have at least one regular BM per day. You don't take ANY supplements, pharmaceuticals, special drinks/whatnot at all to help you go. You poop like a normal person. You had IBS-C for a long time and now, for whatever reason, it's gone. That's cured.

I think the best hope of an actual cure for most of us is either a series of fecal transplants and/or fasting for at least a week on nothing but water. Or both.

What else?

Chronic fatigue: Don't be surprised if you get really tired after your BM's, and thirsty as all hell. And cold. I always do. "Turn up the heat!" Chronic fatigue is a very common side-effect of CC (as is depression). I usually chew nicotine gum, take super B complex vitamins and half a Sudafed a day for energy. I'd take ephedrine if I could, but it's banned here in the U.S. Go figure. Ban something that is natural and push pharmaceuticals on us. It's all big business. There isn't exactly any ephedrine lobbyists out there now, is there?

Using the bathroom at work: I have read many stories here of people who do not want to use the restroom at work for their bowel movements. I used to be like this too, so much so I was giving myself enemas every morning before work to try to get as much ick out as possible. I almost always have incomplete evacuation (which is normal for those of us who have CC) and would have to go again sometimes at work. You know what? You gotta try to get over it. GO AT WORK. Bring in something to read every time you go like a cell phone or magazine to get your mind off of it. Listen to music if it helps you relax while you're going at work. Giving yourself enemas before work and/or trying to force yourself to go at home before work so you don't have to go while you're at work can get crazy - it's not good. It would also probably be a good idea to sit down and have a brief but serious discussion with your employer and tell them you have IBS and will need to use the bathroom more often than most. I've brought a note in from my doctor at every place I've worked at since I've had CC.

Gut flora imbalance: I probably should have added this earlier, but I have never been formerly diagnosed with IBS-C. Regardless, I believe the root cause of my problem (and many others of us here) is an imbalance in our gut flora. Either an overgrowth or undergrowth of one of the many bacterium inside us. You'd think our brains would just say, "Hey... Wait a minute.... somethings not working right in there" and adjust itself/send signals down to our intestines so they'd fix themselves and run smoothly again, but sadly, no - this is just not the case. CC sometimes seems like a generational curse to me. But in reality for me it is simply a case of bad genetics/hereditary and the result of eating (or drinking) so-called health food: I got my CC from changing my diet from regular American food to about two or three months of raw fruit and vegetable smoothies, made in a blender. Yes, health food ruined my intestines... It's rare, but it happens.

Overeating: I really hope if you have IBS that you are not overeating, as it just compounds your digestive problems. Think. Be smart. Eat to live, don't live to eat.

Surgery: Lastly, I have read a few stories here of people who have had major problems with their intestines and/or rectal area. Supplements may work for the short-term, but after awhile? Nothing works. Some people get rectal prolapse, get surgery, then get rectal prolapse again. Some people are told they have twisted or narrow intestines.... Stuff like that. If it gets THAT bad, and for some it does, when nothing much wants to come out anymore no matter what, then one must consider surgical options. (Important note: Even having part of your colon removed doesn't always help.) I know most of us don't like to think about getting a stoma/colostomy, but when you've tried everything, nothing seems to work anymore, you can barely function and your doctor says that is your best option, then you gotta do what you gotta do. There are also other surgical options that I'm not too familiar with, so that's all I'll say about that.

Thankfully, most of us with CC won't need to get surgery if we take a supplement every day to help us go.

If you have any questions/comments you can post 'em here, on someone else's thread - or - you can always start your own thread if you want to. Don't be shy.

"We are all searching for that magic pill." - Nuffa

Good luck to all!

From your IBS-C cyber pal,

Flossy

See less See more
#2 ·
Can Intestinal Formula #1 do anything to help slow transit constipation?

Right now I'm not taking anything for my constipation. I go twice a week. I used to use MOM but I found I didn't need it to help me go. If I waited long enough I could go twice a week without it and avoid the explosive D and cramping.

I don't think I want to go everyday because I think I have internal hemmies and the pain I experience after taking a bowel movement is so bad I have to take opioids to relieve it.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can Intestinal Formula #1 do anything to help slow transit constipation?

Right now I'm not taking anything for my constipation. I go twice a week. I used to use MOM but I found I didn't need it to help me go. If I waited long enough I could go twice a week without it and avoid the explosive D and cramping.

I don't think I want to go everyday because I think I have internal hemmies and the pain I experience after taking a bowel movement is so bad I have to take opioids to relieve it.
I would say yes, I.F. # 1 would help with slow transit, I think it has stimulant laxatives in it. (I'm thinking I have slow transit too, when I don't take anything to help me go.)

You know opioids also cause (WHAT ELSE) constipation, yes? You might want to consider surgery to "make that runway clear" down there! They might be able to fix it with just rubber band ligation. I know when I had hemorrhoids it made going to the bathroom harder than usual.

#14 ·
braeseven--are you able to drink caffeinated tea? there are some caffeinated teas available--such as the aptly named "morning thunder" tea-- that are very effective for promoting a BM.
Thanks for the suggestion annie, i will try to find that and see how it works. I would eventually like to phase out caffeine to try and reduce the reflux as much as possible, but I have a very narrow window in the morning to go and so far nothing i've tried works as good as coffee. It's my first time experiencing this level of digestive dysfunction so I'm still kinda fumbling around trying to get it under control. I picked up some magnesium citrate and will be trying that soon as well.

#15 ·
I probably should add that I have never been formerly diagnosed with IBS-C, but I believe the root cause of my problem (and many others of us here) is an imbalance in our gut flora. Either an overgrowth or undergrowth of one of the many bacterium inside us.
Have you tried an intro diet like scd or sibo to starve the little buggers out then introduce foods one at a time to see what works? Thinking of taking a run at that myself if I can get things moving often enough.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the suggestion annie, i will try to find that and see how it works. I would eventually like to phase out caffeine to try and reduce the reflux as much as possible, but I have a very narrow window in the morning to go and so far nothing i've tried works as good as coffee. It's my first time experiencing this level of digestive dysfunction so I'm still kinda fumbling around trying to get it under control. I picked up some magnesium citrate and will be trying that soon as well.
morning thunder tea is made by celestial seasonings and shouldn't be too hard to find. my local grocery store carries it and i live out in the country. i never tried it myself but i've heard a lot of people say that it works. black coffee always helped me go and fortunately it didn't bother my reflux. like you, i had a very narrow window in the morning...

good luck with that and the mag citrate
smile.png

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
The last few months I have been taking aloe pills, they definitely help sooth my intestines (but don't help much with the bowel moving process). I'm almost out, so I wanted to see what it was like without them before I order more and I don't like it at all! I feel all clumpy inside again after a BM.... I think I'm gonna have to order more.

Best price I've found (for those in the U.S.A.):

https://www.pureformulas.com/aloe-vera-5000-mg-100-softgels-by-now.html

P.S. I just ordered more. (Yea!)

#21 ·
I had really bad constipation for several years, and managed it using small amounts of fiber and 5-HTP. I strongly feel it's due to an unbalanced or weak gut flora. As my gut biota recovered from antibiotics taken for SIBO, my motility steadily improved. I took a ton of prebiotics (Inulin and others) and ate lots of probiotic yogurt (fermented for 24 hours, and I also added raw sugar to the milk before sterilizing it to make it stronger). I had to find the right probiotics for me, which took time and experimentation. Normal store-bought yogurt doesn't do anything for me, and actually makes me feel worse.

#22 ·
I had really bad constipation for several years, and managed it using small amounts of fiber and 5-HTP. I strongly feel it's due to an unbalanced or weak gut flora. As my gut biota recovered from antibiotics taken for SIBO, my motility steadily improved. I took a ton of prebiotics (Inulin and others) and ate lots of probiotic yogurt (fermented for 24 hours, and I also added raw sugar to the milk before sterilizing it to make it stronger). I had to find the right probiotics for me, which took time and experimentation. Normal store-bought yogurt doesn't do anything for me, and actually makes me feel worse.
This is great. Have you done uBiome? I found it really helpful in determining missing populations of beneficial bacteria.

Also mind sharing which probiotics ended up being good for you?

I'm thinking of doing anaerobic ferments which supposedly are low in histamine.

#23 ·
I'm trying one less regular strength I.F. # 1 per day for the next few days, just for the hell of it. So just for the record I'll be taking one I.F. # 1 regular strength and one I.F. # 1 maximum strength per day, just for a few days, just to see how it goes. I noticed today I was a lot less thirsty after my first BM.

-It (life) doesn't get any better than this!
tongue.png
biggrin.png

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Intestines working well on one less I.F. # 1 pill a day. My aloe pills...

Now-Foods-Aloe-Vera-Softgels-164x300.jpg

....that I've been taking the last several months definitely help with that clumpy feeling my intestines have post-BM. I take about 6 pills per day, two with every meal. It's not perfect, but it does feel better inside.

I would like to try to get down to just one I.F. # 1 maximum strength pill per day. I'll probably try one less I.F. # 1 regular strength pill in another couple of weeks, as I need to let my intestines adjust accordingly.

If I can have more normal BM's I figure I could actually apply for employment on first shift. Now? Homey don't think so!

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just a ho-hum anal update because it seems like it's always slow on Sundays here:

Tried just one I.F. # 1 maximum strength capsule yesterday and that's it. Boy, I can tell the difference. Stool was kinda hard today, didn't like it. I think one I.F. # 1 max strength and one I.F. regular strength capsule per day is the best bet for me.

...At the very least I did manage to take two less I.F. # 1 regular strength capsules over time.

P.S. I know this is wishful thinking but I would love nothing more than to be a normal pooper again one day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.