The ABC's of Chronic Constipation (aka IBS-C) - Page 3 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

The ABC's of Chronic Constipation (aka IBS-C)

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Flossy, I know you had mentioned using enemas at one time.  When I was having bad IBS-C issues, I found that a plain water enema sometimes helped if I felt like I was close to having to go, but nothing would come out.  It was a bit of a gamble, because if it failed to cause a significant movement, it was apt to make me feel worse.

I seldom use water enemas anymore because I have more issues with D than C nowadays.  As an aside, it was the strangest thing.  Over time, I was having worse and worse issues with constipation.  It culminated in a situation where I was pretty much never going.  I would combine Miralax and a senna laxative, and still not go.  I probably hadn't gone for 2-3 weeks, when it got so bad with severe constipation and nausea that I went to the ER out of fear that I had an obstruction.  I didn't, but I was backed up, so they told me to take a dose of magnesium citrate along with stool softener.  The magnesium citrate made me feel really horrible and didn't cause any significant bm--just some liquid came out.

Finally, I had a bout of severe cramps and D.  After that, my IBS changed to where I had alternating C and D.

I certainly wouldn't regard this as being "cured".  I continued to have bad IBS issues that I believe are only somewhat better now because I take Miralax daily.  But to be honest, I would rather tend more toward D than C, so I feel your pain.  Plus, I found that getting a bidet toilet seat attachment reduced the severe irritation and hemorrhoid problems from excessive wiping.

I always use 100% aloe vera gel (mixed with a little bit of cocoa butter lotion) to wipe with. Works really well down there.

#42 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:23 AM

I always use 100% aloe vera gel (mixed with a little bit of cocoa butter lotion) to wipe with. Works really well down there.

Thanks for the info.  I might give that a try.

• flossy likes this

#43 ioeides

ioeides

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

What flossy wrote about fiber-food was confirmed by statistics of the German health insurance companies:  Since the campaign "5 per day", meaning to eat vegetables, fruit, whole grain carbohydrates etc 5 times per day, started about 10 years ago the number of patients with IBS-related symptoms has nearly doubled. And the patients could not understand hat happened to them, saying "I always eat healthy food, and the more healthy food I eat the worse I feel." When their doctor told them to eat food they really like, albeit "not healthy", they were feeling better pretty soon.

What do we learn from this? There is no such thing as the same "healthy food" for everybody. Every one of us has to find out individually.

And the same appears to be true for our personal ways to fight or avoid our IBS symptoms. I have been happy with my enema therapies for more than 50 years. Against constipation as well as a warm relaxing colon bath to relieve cramps, air or diarrea.

• flossy and Axx like this

#44 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Happy Easter to all my fellow chronically constipated friends!

f8af4e2e52a2485ac26c8198a26b943c.jpg

• Fromthegut likes this

#45 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

thanks, Flossy.   and Happy Easter to you  smile.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#46 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

thanks, Flossy.   and Happy Easter to you  smile.png

Back at ya Annie!

HeQskDu.jpg

#47 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

What flossy wrote about fiber-food was confirmed by statistics of the German health insurance companies:  Since the campaign "5 per day", meaning to eat vegetables, fruit, whole grain carbohydrates etc 5 times per day, started about 10 years ago the number of patients with IBS-related symptoms has nearly doubled. And the patients could not understand hat happened to them, saying "I always eat healthy food, and the more healthy food I eat the worse I feel." When their doctor told them to eat food they really like, albeit "not healthy", they were feeling better pretty soon.

What do we learn from this? There is no such thing as the same "healthy food" for everybody. Every one of us has to find out individually.

And the same appears to be true for our personal ways to fight or avoid our IBS symptoms. I have been happy with my enema therapies for more than 50 years. Against constipation as well as a warm relaxing colon bath to relieve cramps, air or diarrea.

It struck me that this concept--that what is a healthy diet for one person may be different than what is a healthy diet for another person--was brought up in the Whole Dog Journal [but obviously talking about canine diets rather than human diets].  They were debunking the whole notion put forward by dog food manufacturers that their one food is not only complete, but ideal for all dogs of a given age, weight or activity level.  The Whole Dog Journal puts out a list of dog foods that meet their standards and presents a criterion for selecting a dog food, but at the same time cautions that a person shouldn't stick with a food that the dog doesn't do well on no matter how good the food is on paper.  So, if the food causes diarrhea, for example, it may not be the ideal food for your dog.

The same common sense obviously applies to people.  If a high fiber diet or a certain food is making matters worse, it may not be "good food" for the person.

BTW, I am convinced that there are dogs that have ibs!

• flossy likes this

#48 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Natural cure biggrin.png ?

'Factory worker sticks a 1.6ft long eel into his anus believing it could treat his constipation'

#49 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

oh way too funny!!  biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

where do you find this stuff?  tongue.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#50 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

oh way too funny!!  biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

where do you find this stuff?  tongue.png

http://www.dailymail...home/index.html

It's my fav website for news because they have a comments section at the end of their articles where you can click on the worst-rated comments... Lots of trolls there, but they're very funny sometimes.

#51 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

thanks for the link biggrin.png

#52 Jlfeldes

Jlfeldes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

I would love to understand what your taking, as I took your advice and bought the IF #1 and have been taking 1 at Breakfast and 2 at dinner.. I think its working. but i also recall you mentioning taking something else like the Aloe.. 

Can you help me understand because everything you posted is exactly have i have been feeling for over 2-3 years

#53 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

I would love to understand what your taking, as I took your advice and bought the IF #1 and have been taking 1 at Breakfast and 2 at dinner.. I think its working. but i also recall you mentioning taking something else like the Aloe.. 

Can you help me understand because everything you posted is exactly have i have been feeling for over 2-3 years

Hi Jlfeldes -

Good to hear you're trying the I.F. # 1.

I take one I.F. # 1 maximum strength along with one I.F. # 1 regular strength capsule every day, with a meal. 

I also take 2 aloe vera gels 3 times a day (which, of course, would be 6 aloe gels total per day). The aloe gels just help my intestines not feel so icky, they help sooth them.

Best price I've found is right here (click on below link to read):

https://www.pureform...els-by-now.html

Right now they are $6.91 per bottle. I just bought like 5 or 6 bottles of them. Hey, I like to never run out of anything. tongue.png Note: There is also aloe in the Intestinal Formula # 1, but I like a little extra!

-Good luck and keep us posted!

#54 Jlfeldes

Jlfeldes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

Are you still taking IF#1 daily or just the Aloe? 

#55 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

Are you still taking IF#1 daily or just the Aloe? 

Both.

The aloe is just to soothe my intestinal track.

#56 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

miGLBbF.jpg

#57 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:02 AM

so very sorry, Flossy.  your mom was a good person and a wonderful mother.  she put up a brave fight and now she is finally peace.  she will live forever in your heart and yes, you will both be reunited in heaven.  please do take good care of yourself.

• flossy and Fromthegut like this

#58 Nuffa

Nuffa

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

The fact that she raised you to be The kindhearted person that you are says a lot about what a great person she was.
  • flossy likes this

#59 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Nuffa & Annie7!

#60 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

I wish "they" (????) would finally find something to properly adjust the imbalance I believe I have in my gut flora. I think the problem lies right in my sigmoid colon...

normalcolon_web-93002.jpg

...that's where everything seems to slow down. I can't just woosh it out, like in the good ol' days. I'm thinking when someone finally figures out how to readjust it properly it's going to be a simple procedure of sorts, like adding something to a enema that either kills some of the gut flora or perhaps adds to it. I'm thinking some of mine need to be killed off, but don't know for certain - it's either too much or too little. Who knows? Regardless, "high hopes, one day."

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here