Would love some encouragement! - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Would love some encouragement!

IBS-C IBS-D Fibromyalgia SIBO Bloating Burning Rib pain Upper Gut Pain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Missi

Missi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Advertisement

My question is probably for people that have been dealing with IBS for more than a couple years:

Do IBS symptoms come and go and come and go?

Do the symptoms change frequently enough that you sometimes wonder if you've been misdiagnosed?  

I have been diagnosed with IBS C/D with spastic colon for 2 years now.  My first symptoms appeared after attempting to do the Whole 30 diet.  At first my pain was only upper right / rib cage and I thought I bruised my ribs... then it moved to the center where my stomach is and then over to the left.. my insides felt swollen and hot and irritated as hell.  I was having spasms all over the trunk of my body.  I had alternating D and C for several weeks.  After a load of tests by a GI doc I was diagnosed as being the poster child for IBS.  Diet changes helped me feel a bit better (no dairy, no refined sugar, no gluten, no red meat) but I don't always stick to it as it is super hard - except the dairy.  I have no dairy if I can help it at all.

I've been so sore and irritated in my gut the last almost 4 weeks that I'm beginning to get all scared again.  I feel swollen and achy and my ribcage hurts SO bad but only in a few spots here and there; like trigger points.  OUCH.  When I push on my left rib cage (which feels good) I even feel my ribs moving and popping around.  It feels kinda like I have a lemon wedged in there somewhere and it keeps moving about.  It hurts my upper left gut and rib area to bend over to tie my shoes.  I am currently C but not severely.  I already suffer from chronic anxiety being the victim of severe abuse as a child and so pain like this just flares my nerves up.  

I am going to my GP on Monday to ask him to run all the blood tests again since it's been a couple years.  I am also going to do the SIBO breath test as my naturopath doc thinks that is my problem.  I have acquired a neuro doc who helps with my dizziness and headaches (he prescribes physical therapy, magnesium, calcium and Vit D but the mag kills my gut)  and my GI doc calls himself the gut whisperer.  My GI doc suggested most of this is anxiety/stress related and assured me I'll be better off if I stay away from the medical docs (he IS a medical doctor so I thought that was interesting).  I am not currently on ANY medication except a tiny bit of Propranolol 30mg a day which helps tremendously with my essential tremor that I developed 35 years ago as a teenager.  I didn't start the Propranolol until after I was diagnosed with IBS.  

I should mention that about 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  Have never done anything for it.

Just hoping other people out there can relate to the recurring odd pains that don't make any sense.... Sigh...

Missi

"In the end it is love that wins the heart."

#2 laylow

laylow

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

I have seen many of those pain in the past few years.  I can definitely relate.  I haven't had the condition long enough to know tendencies, but I've had some real dark moments.  Hoping to try an FMT at some point in the next few years.

• Missi likes this

#3 Missi

Missi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Hey, thanks for responding! What is FMT?

Missi

"In the end it is love that wins the heart."

#4 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

My question is probably for people that have been dealing with IBS for more than a couple years:

Do IBS symptoms come and go and come and go?

Do the symptoms change frequently enough that you sometimes wonder if you've been misdiagnosed?  

I have been diagnosed with IBS C/D with spastic colon for 2 years now.  My first symptoms appeared after attempting to do the Whole 30 diet.  At first my pain was only upper right / rib cage and I thought I bruised my ribs... then it moved to the center where my stomach is and then over to the left.. my insides felt swollen and hot and irritated as hell.  I was having spasms all over the trunk of my body.  I had alternating D and C for several weeks.  After a load of tests by a GI doc I was diagnosed as being the poster child for IBS.  Diet changes helped me feel a bit better (no dairy, no refined sugar, no gluten, no red meat) but I don't always stick to it as it is super hard - except the dairy.  I have no dairy if I can help it at all.

I've been so sore and irritated in my gut the last almost 4 weeks that I'm beginning to get all scared again.  I feel swollen and achy and my ribcage hurts SO bad but only in a few spots here and there; like trigger points.  OUCH.  When I push on my left rib cage (which feels good) I even feel my ribs moving and popping around.  It feels kinda like I have a lemon wedged in there somewhere and it keeps moving about.  It hurts my upper left gut and rib area to bend over to tie my shoes.  I am currently C but not severely.  I already suffer from chronic anxiety being the victim of severe abuse as a child and so pain like this just flares my nerves up.  

I am going to my GP on Monday to ask him to run all the blood tests again since it's been a couple years.  I am also going to do the SIBO breath test as my naturopath doc thinks that is my problem.  I have acquired a neuro doc who helps with my dizziness and headaches (he prescribes physical therapy, magnesium, calcium and Vit D but the mag kills my gut)  and my GI doc calls himself the gut whisperer.  My GI doc suggested most of this is anxiety/stress related and assured me I'll be better off if I stay away from the medical docs (he IS a medical doctor so I thought that was interesting).  I am not currently on ANY medication except a tiny bit of Propranolol 30mg a day which helps tremendously with my essential tremor that I developed 35 years ago as a teenager.  I didn't start the Propranolol until after I was diagnosed with IBS.  

I should mention that about 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  Have never done anything for it.

Just hoping other people out there can relate to the recurring odd pains that don't make any sense.... Sigh...

It is common for people to have their IBS symptoms come and go. However my IBS symptoms never completely come and go, I always have some level of symptoms. Occasionally I go up to 10 times per day with lots of gas and discomfort... some days I only go 3-4 times per day with less gas and discomfort. But for me, the IBS is still there. It's never gone gone. The two times it's been gone in the past 10 years was for about 3 days after a hernia surgery and also when I was taking the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin, both instances I believe are as a result of antibiotics.

The fact that your pain comes on so strong for long periods of time and then goes away to me is not indicative of what is generally considered IBS and could be something else. However I personally do not believe in "IBS" and believe that each person's problems are a unique set of individual factors that cause their issues. What medications or treatments have you tried for the pain? Have you ever had CT scan or colonoscopy?

I know you mention you were diagnosed with IBS before taking the Propranolol, but it's side effect profile fits the description of a lot of your issues, especially the abdominal pain. It might be worthwhile to look into an alternative treatment for your tremor for just a short period of time to see if stopping the Propranolol helps at all. Some other beta blockers that you could switch to would be Nadolol and Timolol. Also Gabapentin is a pretty darn mild drug that is used off-label for essential tremor. It is also helpful for anxiety. 

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#5 laylow

laylow

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hey, thanks for responding! What is FMT?

Stands for Fecal Microbiota Transplant.  Currently in the US it is only used for treating recurrent C. Diff. in which is does very well.  However there are studies that it may be effective for other conditions.  Google it.  There are many people claiming that it helped them with their condition, and many that say it didn't do much.  There is still a lot of unknowns about the procedure, however, I am probably places too much stock into thinking it can help me.

#6 ormaman333

ormaman333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hang in there.  I was suffering for many years to the point that it was excrutiating and causing me to collapse.  With an improved balanced diet, I am now symptom free.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, IBS-D, Fibromyalgia, SIBO, Bloating, Burning, Rib pain, Upper Gut Pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here