Planning a trip with lots of outdoor activity - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Planning a trip with lots of outdoor activity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

Advertisement

I'm planning a trip later this year that will involve a lot of outdoor activity in national parks and similar places. I've done this kind of thing many times before, even in the years that I've been battling IBS or chronic constipation, and somehow I've managed without too many issues. Maybe my brain has just told my gut to behave itself for a change!  However, my GI system has really been on a tear lately, with a lot of days in which I have multiple bowel movements, usually urgent. This isn't unheard of in years of wrestling with GI problems but has been happening much more frequently, perhaps related to my attempts to follow medical advice and use Miralax regularly. After 6 months, I'm still trying to find an amount and frequency of use that keep things more even, instead of a series of days with no activity followed by several "hyperactive" days. There may be no magic formula, and already I'm dreading being out on a trail for hours trying to cope with a GI system that's all out of whack. I don't want to spend the vacation hiding in the hotel room for fear something might happen but know that trouble can strike unexpectedly, and if my current pattern persists, it could really interfere with my schedule. Of course, even people who don't have GI issues have to cope with how to answer the call of nature when in remote areas or on long trails, so I'll have to do some research. I've thought about keeping a supply of disposable undergarments, pads, wipes, and resalable plastic bags in my backpack to help me manage any disasters that strike. I don't think it would be wise to go several weeks without taking Miralax at all unless I've managed to find a way in the next few months to control my system without it. For those outdoor enthusiasts on the forums, what do you do? when there's not a restroom within miles?

#2 used to be moises

used to be moises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

As someone recently said to me, we do what bears do in the woods. I just got back after having some bad D on a six-day backpacking trip. Definitely was not fun all the time. But I am sure glad I went. I hope you have a great trip.

#3 Beatrix

Beatrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

I hope that you haven't refused from a trip! I know it to myself as I have the same problem. First I preferred to avoid outdoors since anything may happen and miles away from WC and pharmacy I felt insecure:-((( I also have noticed that my IBS problems somehow related to my mood. If I am nervous or something, I have this annoying pain and all the pack of unpleasing surprises. Somehow I learned how to cope with that. First of all, I always take a bottled water, the one which I always drink. I try to avoid new food unless I am in the hotel and can take a risk. I always carry in my bag intestinal adsorbent in sachets, just in case - these are very effective. And it might sound crazy, but I practice special breathing technic to reduce the anxiety. Hope that you had a nice trip!

#4 Veaen

Veaen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

I hope that you haven't refused from a trip! I know it to myself as I have the same problem. First I preferred to avoid outdoors since anything may happen and miles away from WC and pharmacy I felt insecure:-((( I also have noticed that my IBS problems somehow related to my mood. If I am nervous or something, I have this annoying pain and all the pack of unpleasing surprises. Somehow I learned how to cope with that. First of all, I always take a bottled water, the one which I always drink. I try to avoid new food unless I am in the hotel and can take a risk. I always carry in my bag intestinal adsorbent in sachets, just in case - these are very effective. And it might sound crazy, but I practice special breathing technic to reduce the anxiety. Hope that you had a nice trip!

Could you share what kind of breathing technic?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here