GoLytely for constipation not working?! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

GoLytely for constipation not working?!

constipation ibs laxative cleanse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jl20

jl20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:21 AM

Advertisement

I have been having constipation issues for almost a year now, and for the past 4 months, my GI doc and I have agreed to put me on something that usually works really well for me. I have been using golytely as an everyday med for 4 months now, and I go through a jug about every 3-4 days. I havent had any constipation since this week, so I would say it has been doing it's job nicely. I have pelvic floor disfunction, so my GI says this is only a "band-aid" while i go through biofeedback and PT.

Anyway... this week I have been doing my normal golytely but only going liquid yellow, no stools at all since tuesday. I had an x ray on tuesday at my doctors office and he says I wasn't really constipated, I was had a normal ammount of stool in me, with a lot of gas. That night I wanted to do kind of a colon cleanse deal. I didn't eat, and did a whole jug of golytely and pooped again, clear green/yellow liquid with no stool. Never happens. Yesterday (friday) my abdominal pain got worse so I went back to the doc and had another x-ray, which showed almost the same ammount of stool just that it had moved down. The doctor said there was no blockage or anything, and that it should come out eventually. But this never happens, golytely is always foolproof, and now that I know that there is actually stool in my bowels, why isn't it emptying with the top notch laxitive?

Any suggestions on what to do next would be helpful!

#2 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

Well the problem is that the GoLytely has likely ruined the integrity of the mucus layer on your colon so that nothing slides out of you anymore. The more GoLytely you take, the more it will just strip all the mucus that has built up since your previous GoLytely dose and flush it out. Catch 22. It would be wise to stop the GoLytely and let the mucus layer rebuild, and then try a stool softener and magnesium. For a multitude of reasons it is a really, really, really good idea to NOT use GoLytely every day, but then again I'm not a doctor so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. 

Have you tried magnesium before?

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#3 pukka

pukka

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

i never heard of GoLytely is it like a fleet colon prep? I been using Linzess but have mixed results. I need to up the dose but don't want to. my symptoms have gotten worse with age. 

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

yes, GoLytely is a colonscopy prep. 

when things started getting really bad for me, my gastro had me take half of a colonoscopy prep once a week to keep me from developing an impaction.  i chose to take prepopik because it's low volume but very effective.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

i never heard of GoLytely is it like a fleet colon prep? I been using Linzess but have mixed results. I need to up the dose but don't want to. my symptoms have gotten worse with age. 

Yes, it is a colon prep, the ingredient is polyethylene glycol, which is the same thing that is in Miralax. 

It is probably fine to take 1-2 doses up to a couple times per week with minimal side effects. But going through a jug of it every 3-4 days is far too much, as is likely why the thread starter has issues. 

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, ibs, laxative, cleanse

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here