Success of new combination - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Success of new combination

Viberzi Pepto Bismol

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barbara Griffin

Barbara Griffin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Advertisement

I hope my experience helps someone!  I had been having increasing bouts of explosive and unpredictable diarrhea for several months (although on and off for many years and I am now 70).  I am employed full-time and otherwise active, so this was upsetting, to say the least.  I have been taking probiotics for years which initially seemed to resolve the problem, but no longer.  I read about Viberzi so I asked my primary care physician for a trial of that.  Helped a lot, but not totally.  Decided to try a new GI doctor--previously the only recommendation was to get a colonoscopy and I was done with that.

Long story short--new doc did recommend a colonoscopy and had an attitude when I vetoed that.  However, he did tell me the reason to do this was to biopsy for a microscopic form of colitis (collagenous or lymphocytic) that disrupts the colon mucosa or lining and prohibits water absorption in the lining.  I asked him if that was diagnosed was the treatment was--in some cases antiobiotics, but also Pepto Bismol which absorbs water and also has anti-bacterial properties.  So, I researched and opted for the treatment without the diagnosis.

The recommended treatment is 8 chewable peptos per day for 8 weeks.  I hated it, but not as much as a colonoscopy, so I followed it religiously.  I also continue taking Viberzi.  As of two weeks post completion of the pepto I am better than I have ever been.  I have almost normal bowel function and I find that Viberzi can be constipating so I occasionally skip a dose (100 mg/day).  No diarrhea, no pain, occasional food-related mild bloating and/or gas.  Knock wood, I had to call it a miracle cure, but it's an amazing feeling NOT to be at the daily mercy of unpredictable bowel function. 

I have read that colonoscopies are generally not indicated past age 70 but obviously all docs do not agree.  I just know that previous scopes showed no abnormalities and did not previously offer useful information for my symptoms.  IBS is such a big grab-bag that it seems all treatments are trial and error.  BTW, I still avoid a lot of troublesome foods (crucerifous vegetables--broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc).  I learned that fermented foods are good for digestion so I do eat some sauerkraut and continue to eat yogurt regularly, but avoid anything else containing lactose, other than mild white cheese in moderation. 

To those of you reading this who are still suffering and experimenting, don't give up!

• Tonylyn likes this

#2 tdhcsc

tdhcsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

Why would you veto a colonoscopy?  Your fregin 70 and should have one for prevention's sake.    (I'm 71 and have just had my 3d.  First time I've had polips)

#3 Barbara Griffin

Barbara Griffin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Because I've had symptoms on and off for years and the Gastro docs I've been to have nothing to offer except colonoscopies.  I've had 3 over the years, the last one approx. one year+ ago.  If I had new symptoms, or constant distress, I would probably reconsider.  You're right, you can have something pop up but generally it takes years that's why the scopes are not recommended more frequently unless you have history of cancer or polyps.  If indeed I do have IBS than I would like to try something that works. 

I have also tried diet modification, but the jury is out on that also.  I researched the FODMAP diets and they almost always contradict each other in terms of what is high and what is low.  I'm sure I could eat better, but I do give up a lot because I believe certain foods do cause problems (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, dairy, etc). 

When it comes to serious diarrhea, if this ever quits working (and it's not 100 % either), the only other thing I've read about is implanting a neurostimulator.  What does "fregin" mean or what did you mean to say?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Viberzi, Pepto Bismol

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here