insecure password warning - Website Help - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

insecure password warning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Advertisement

Hello all --

When I attempt to login using Firefox, I see a message saying that the connection is not secure, and the password could be compromised.

More info here: https://support.mozi...efox/ta-p/27861

Can anything be done about this?  This is notable considering the earlier Vertical Scope data breach.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

update:  i emailed my contact person at VerticalScope about this.  she is  going on vacation later this week so she forwarded my e-mail to someone else there and said that they would look into it.  i do hope that they fix this very soon.

i use chrome and chrome also shows that this is not a secure site.  i mentioned this to VerticalScope quite a while ago but nothing was done...

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

OK -- Thanks for looking into this!  I guess for now it helps that people are at least aware, and seeing these messages through their browsers.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

... I just hope that verticalscope follows through on this and does something to fix it...

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 The Community Managers

The Community Managers

The Community Managers

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hey guys,

Lee emailed me and once I get into the office tomorrow I will look further into this issue.

Thank you for notifying us.

~ Glenda

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

thanks, Glenda!

on the admin board a notice has been there for quite some time  about security issues and a patch to fix them as well as a new version of the board available to download.  when the notice first appeared, i emailed Lee about it and she said she'd notify someone else but nothing ever got done about it.

thanks for looking into all this.

#7 The Community Managers

The Community Managers

The Community Managers

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

No worries :)

Basically what is occurring is the little box is a Firefox related. Chrome has a slider note in the address bar when you go to login. It's warning you that the site is not under an SSL certificate. There is a push to get all sites that store any user information over to this level of security. Previously, it was only needed if you were banking or making a purchase. We've been working on getting our sites on to this over the last year. Tech is looking at deploying this in the next few months.

It doesn't mean your passwords are any less secure. This will just be an additional security step to protect against more specific attacks, like MIM (Man in the middle).

I hope this answers your concerns.

Thank you.

~ Glenda

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, Glenda! You're terrific!

#9 The Community Managers

The Community Managers

The Community Managers

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

awwww thank you!

~ Glenda

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

smile.png

#11 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the update.   It's encouraging to hear about the work to switch over to HTTPS. 

In the meantime, Firefox gives good guidance: "try to use a unique password or a password that you don’t also use for other important sites."

#12 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10509 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

oh yes, kc--that's excellent advice.

#13 The Community Managers

The Community Managers

The Community Managers

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

No worries, thank you so much Team :)

~ Glenda

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here