IBS-D, Wondering About "Provex CV" And Other Supplements - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-D, Wondering About "Provex CV" And Other Supplements

IBS-D supplements

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Darsithis

Darsithis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Advertisement

Hello, I'm Dars (real name obscured!) and I was diagnosed with IBS when I was just a kid (I'm 34 now). I've always had it, always dealt with issues eating dairy, greasy food, excessive sugar, etc. It oscillates between minor levels of nearly normal bowel movements straight into diarrhea, then back again.

For the last two years I've been trying to control it with a combination of Metamucil fiber wafer packs (the pills/orange drink make me sick) and solid Imodium-D tablets (no capsules, those make me sick, too), but all that really does is make me incredibly constipated for days on end, then blow it all out in a huge multi-day diarrhea binge. While it's great to go days without having to use the bathroom at all, and that can help with things like going out with friends/events during the whole day, it's not really all that great once it ends.

I've been looking online lately for similar stories, to see how much of the I-D they were taking on a daily basis and I came across a thread right here on this forum: http://www.ibsgroup....odium/?p=738366 where someone mentioned they were controlling their IBS-D with a supplement known as Provex CV, usually used to control colesterol. From there, I found more threads and places where people talked about how much it has changed their lives! Unfortunately, all of that information is nearly a decade old at this point, and I am unsure of a few things:

1 - Where to get it? I found a fairly expensive 60-capsule bottle on Amazon for $45, made by Melaleuca and I found other "generic" types elsewhere, but unsure if they're of any use or even if they're the same thing. The only ones I could find that actually had the Provex CV name was that $45 one.

2 - How many a day are you supposed to take? 1? 2? 3? 4? Anyone have experience, what helped them control, what specific level of supplement really hit the mark for them?

3 - Those of you who have used it successfully, do you take anything else? Probiotics? Metamucil (fiber)? If so, how often and how much?

I just wanted to introduce myself, explain what I was looking for, and get some starting points towards where I might find the ideal relief. Of course, I'd tweak it as necessary but without an experienced baseline I am going in blind, here.

Thanks everyone! 

#2 BellZack

BellZack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

I never tried Provex CV but I've gotten some really great results from a supplement called IBS Formula.  I used to live off of Imodiums too at the recommendation of my doctor.  They were never bullet proof for me and I hated the associated dehydration that accompanied.  I guess all the beer wasn't helping with that either.  Haaa...

#3 Darsithis

Darsithis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

I never tried Provex CV but I've gotten some really great results from a supplement called IBS Formula.  I used to live off of Imodiums too at the recommendation of my doctor.  They were never bullet proof for me and I hated the associated dehydration that accompanied.  I guess all the beer wasn't helping with that either.  Haaa...

I looked those up. They look to be peppermint oil. Are you saying that now your bowl movements are firm? No mess, no diarrhea? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, supplements

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here