Ran out of medicine... OTC/tricks/tips to get me through the week? severe IBS-D - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Ran out of medicine... OTC/tricks/tips to get me through the week? severe IBS-D

OTCtips medicine severe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MissMJ

MissMJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Advertisement

excl.png Hey everyone!excl.png 

This is urgent!! I am an extremely busy and active nursing student! I have clinical on Thursdays and as all you know, IBS does not really care... I ran out of Elavil yesterday. It is my first day without my medicine and I already went 4x within a few hours... (TMI: pure liquid... no warning... barely made it... the usual). I had two probiotic pills this morning as per dosage directions. I do eat greek yogurts. Even on elvail my IBS is an unrelenting monster that strives to ruin my days. I NEED HELP with managing it this week until I can get my prescription filled when I return home Friday. I am desperate. I can't miss clinical, and I would be SO embarrassed if anything happened! I am open to ANY and ALL words of wisdom!!!!

Anxious sufferer,

MissMJ sad.png 

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

What about Immodium? For the long term, have you tried any of the diets? Low FODMAP, SCD, and the Candida diet with anti-fungal are good to try.

#3 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

Dont start taking probiotics now if you havent been taking them in the past. Also be prepared that your sleep may suffer. Take imodium as needed if it helps you.

#4 mb83

mb83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

I have IBS-D though it's probably mild-moderate. I tend to get flareups once or twice a week. Imodium has been a lifesaver for me. On bad days I'll go to the bathroom three or four times within the first hour of waking up. Typically if they start getting really loose I'll take an Imodium before leaving the house. For me one is all I need but I know some people who have to take more than one throughout the day. The only side effect I've ever noticed is that it makes me have to pee a few times an hour for several hours. But as for the D, it puts a stop to it quick so I can make it through the work day. Sometimes I'll end up constipated for a day afterwards but I consider those good days!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OTCtips, medicine, severe

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here