Metronidazole for SIBO? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Metronidazole for SIBO?

Metronidazole flagyl sibo IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redeyedpea

redeyedpea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

Advertisement

Hi, I have been suffering from IBS-D for about 1 year now. I have loose BMs about 4-5 times a day. Mostly mushy stools, but also watery stools sometimes. I have tried a lot of different dietary changes, with no significant effect.

I have read about some people getting symptom relief after getting treated for SIBO.

I am thinking of taking a course of Metronidazole for SIBO. Is this antibiotic recommended? Has anyone else taken this for their SIBO and got some relief?

I have read about other drugs like Xifaxan in most forums, but I have a prescription for metronidazole.

Thank you.

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

From my reading, some medications, like Xifaxan, help symptoms but they come back when the medication ends. I have heard about this diet for SIBO...http://sibodietrecip.../the-sibo-diet/. it combines the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and the low FODMAP diet. However, I would caution to look at both diets individually first. There are a couple errors on the SIBO website. But the low FODMAP and SCD both have helped people with IBS. SCD is making a huge difference in my symptoms.
  • highlandhilman likes this

#3 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

In my case both rifaximin and metronidazole have provided improvement to my symptoms. However you have to know that during and immediately after the course that the symptoms get worse. It takes like 3 weeks after the med for things to settle down and then i have some relief. I tried diets before antibiotics without much help. However the diets after i used antibiotics were more successful. Thus i would say that yes antibiotics helped me although i am certainly not cured by any means. I do have less pain and less cold chills from super hard cramping that i used to have virtually all day long.

#4 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:22 AM

Metronidazole improves my symptoms.but it has severe side effects like palpitations,twinkle,eyes,fatigue etc.

Thanks.

#5 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

I've taken both rifaximin and metronidazole for SIBO-C. Near immediate relief when I started on them, but my symptoms came right back after stopping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Metronidazole, flagyl, sibo, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here