SIBO turned into something else? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

SIBO turned into something else?

SIBO Candida IBS Bloating Abdominal Pain Stomach ache Fatigue Chronic Fatigue GAPS diet RESOTRAN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 highlandhilman

highlandhilman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Advertisement

Hello - new member here.

Around 2015-2016 I had terrible bloating and fatigue (I could barely get through my 9-5 desk job), and was under a lot of stress: I looked 6 months pregnant all the time, despite being only 160lbs and 5'6", which was putting pressure on my diaphragm and making it hard for me to breathe properly.

Approx. 8 months ago I went to a naturopath and was diagnosed with SIBO.

She's kept me on the following treatment:

1. Drink 2-3L of water/day (I'm really active - I have more/smaller BMs in a day if I stick to it)

2. 8+ hrs of sleep a night

3. Herbal antibiotics (Goldenseal, Myrrh, and Thyme - so far I've done 3 rounds with varying results)

4. GAPS Diet

5. Homemade bone broth every day

6. 3 medium-large sized meals in a day (I used to be a grazer, snacking constantly)

7. Prokinetic RESOTRAN, 0.5mg/day

8. Reduce work stress

She also had me do an IgG food intolerance test: tested positive to some pretty standard foods (dairy, wheat, eggs) and some strange ones (mushrooms, lettuce, pineapple, garlic). I've been avoiding those foods for the last 3 months and my fatigue has been cut in HALF. Unfortunately, it hasn't made a dent in my bloating.

I continue to take the multivitamins, Omega 3's, Cal+Mag+D3, and Biotin supplements I was taking before my treatment.

At first, the treatment plan worked great! Bloating was down, fatigue was down even more, and I lost the stress weight I had gained (25lbs). Unfortunately, the bloating is coming back - although I wake up with a flat stomach most days, I bloat up after every meal, and with the bloat comes the fatigue. I've noticed twisted Yoga poses and short walks help the fatigue a little, but don't seem to do anything for the bloating.

I've also been seeing an MD, but everything he's done/prescribed for me has either done nothing or made my symptoms worse. He's diagnosed me with IBS, despite the fact that I have neither diarrhea nor constipation (I have at least 1 solid BM a day - sometimes 2-3/day).

Is it possible the SIBO has come back, or did I lay the groundwork for something new with the herbal antibiotics (Candida?)? Has anyone else had these problems with SIBO?

TL;DR: was diagnosed with SIBO & receiving treatment that was working, but now it's not anymore. Would love some advice/ other people's personal experiences.

#2 brooks55

brooks55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

I am new to this forum but been suffering for 30 years from IBS. I have done tons and tons of research online about IBS the last few years. I got a colonoscopy a few months ago and there was nothing and my Dr just chucked xifaxin at me with no other guidance. It helped for a bit but my symptoms came back. So from research and common sense that if xifaxin clears bad bacteria out of the gut it seems like it did that for me however it came back. I have IBS-D which it seems you do not have. But one thing I learned from tons of research is SIBO or bad bacteria which is the cause of my gas, cramping, bloating and diarrhea feasts and grows on high fructose corn syrup and other sugar sweeteners. From what I see each person is different but they said 70% of people with IBS have a fructose intolerance. I take probiotics that have tons of different strains in them not just the stuff you find at the grocery store that has a 1 or 2. I take fish oil each night and a multivitamin. Some drs online state that zinc can help and other stuff in multivitamins. It can help with energy too.

I literally just started a strict fructose free diet yesterday and going to see where that leads me as I see that if you remove that it takes away the food SIBO uses to grow. You can replace it with probiotics and get tons of good bacteria to take over. There is a reason a lot of food companies are getting rid of HFCS from ingredients as many people and are suffering and science is starting to catch up.

I am no Dr whatsoever but am experienced with this and truly believe that most if not all IBS issues are a diet issue or some kind of food intolerance from the hours of research I have done. I hope it helps in some way.

• highlandhilman likes this

#3 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

I have been suspecting SIBO may be an issue with me and have just started researching. Here is a diet recommended to me. http://sibodietrecip.../the-sibo-diet/ SIBO is notorious for returning it seems.

I have been doing SCD for my IBS and have found a lot of success but having trouble adding foods into my diet so my diet is extremely limited (as in I rotate about 10-15 foods). Someone mentioned SIBO to now I am going to the to be tested for that.

I do believe there is definitely a gut imbalance in my body. I was treated for Candida and that made a big difference in my IBS but only about 70% better. What I am doing now, I am 90% better but still have days with diarrhea. It used to be daily so I am happy for the results so far.

#4 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have the same problems with bloating. I bloat up every day. My symptoms have improved from 1-2 years ago (on a restricted diet and using osmotic laxatives), but I still seem to bloat after eating regardless. It's extremely frustrating. Some days my shirts don't fit right because I look 10+ lbs heavier.

#5 highlandhilman

highlandhilman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback! This is really encouraging :)

@brooks55 - I just started taking a probiotic a week ago, and although I bloated up more initially, it actually seems to help manage my bloating. What brand are you taking? I'm using Dr. Ohira's Probiotics (it has 12 different strands, and is dairy-free). I also am almost completely sugar free with very minimal amounts of fruit (I eat less than 30g of sugar on a normal day). I'm also off grains and starches, which seems to be helping a lot. Do you have any links to information about how zinc might help with SIBO?

@Rboe - I too am struggling to add foods to my diet - seems like every time I turn around I have to remove something because it aggravates my bloating :/ What kind of treatment plan did you use to get rid of your candida?

@jza - I tried Constella, which I think is a type of osmotic laxative, and it didn't work very well for me - I got diarrhea every time I went to the bathroom, which left me feeling very tired, and didn't seem to impact my bloating at all. I'm glad to hear it's working for you though! What type of restricted diet are you on?

#6 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

I had a naturopath guide me with the Candida. I started with Berberine, then used other things. I don't remember everything but some things I used were Grapefruit seed extract, Undesyn, Caprylic Acid and even a prescription for Nystatin. I kept my sugar very low...no sugar, honey, maple syrup and only ate a few berries but no other fruit.

#7 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

@jza - I tried Constella, which I think is a type of osmotic laxative, and it didn't work very well for me - I got diarrhea every time I went to the bathroom, which left me feeling very tired, and didn't seem to impact my bloating at all. I'm glad to hear it's working for you though! What type of restricted diet are you on?

I used milk of magnesia.

I'm on a low fodmap, gluten free, dairy free diet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SIBO, Candida, IBS, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Stomach ache, Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue, GAPS diet, RESOTRAN

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here