How I've coped for 15 years! - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

How I've coped for 15 years!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 11:07 PM

Advertisement
Hi there.I have had IBS since I was 15. That was when I was first diagnosed, and I thought the doctor just didn't know what was wrong with me. I have since then, learnt a lot about IBS. I am now 30.I am both IBS C & D. The C & D used to take turns every week. I never have fizzy drinks anymore,not even the premixed alcohol kind. When I did have a fizzy drink, half an hour later, I was off to the loo for an episode of D. YUK! Posted Image So no more of that for me.Strangely, lettuce affects me, so, none of that, except on a few occasions. I like lettuce, but it doesn't like me. It also sets off a D epsiode.I can eat breads, cereals, and such with no affect.When my C hits, I have found that licorice works the best. A handful a day, for about 3 - 4 days, and then I'm fine for a week or 2.Peppermint tea soothes the gas and the cramps. I have noticed, that as the years have progressed, the 'episodes' are becoming less, due to the fact that I now know what tends to set them off.I stay away from lollies (except chocolate!!!), but the choccies don't upset the system.I eat lots of vegies, but not many beans for the simple reason - GAS! Posted Image I can actually go out now, and not have to worry as much. I do seem to have the IBS under control. Sometimes, I might be stressed, and then it will hit, but I am a lot happier now that I work from home.I take a vitamin supplement that has calcium in it, mainly for the prevention of osteo.... (sorry, can't spell that word!!), but that has helped curb the IBS attacks also.I have also told all my friends, and considering how they can be quite a bunch of 'stirrers' (jokers), they are quite understanding when I disappear for a while to the loo.My family, on my mum's side, all seem to have it too. Mum has IBS C, and her parents have IBS, but I'm not sure which.I just hope that when I have kids, that they will be fine. I know IBS isn't hereditary, so fingers are crossed. Posted Image Anyway, that's how I've coped.I hope that someone out there might get a few ideas from this.Ciao Posted Image

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here