Pain at same time daily - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Pain at same time daily

Pain Probiotic Sibo Gas Ibs Endoscopy H pylori Burping Belching

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Advertisement
Hi all,

I've had ibs for several years, main symptoms gas, frequent bowel movements (not necessarily loose) and some pain, mostly lower abdominal.

Since taking naproxen and morphine for a chronic anal fissure for two weeks in December, I have had new ibs symptoms and pain. Upper gastro pain like a knot right at the base of my ribs. A pressure in the centre and pain on right and left sides below the ribs. Lots of upper gastrointestinal gas and burping - often feel like I need to burp but can't. No acid reflux.

The strange thing is this - my routine is as follows: wake up and release lots of lower gastro gas. Feel ok, no stomach pain usually. Eat breakfast. Have several bms, normally 3-4. First is always soft but solid and then the rest is very mushy. Difficult to feel fully evacuated. normally feel best at the few hours following a bm. Then by 3-4 pm I start to get gnawing in my stomach and the pain I described before slowly gets worse and worse. Eating seems to intensify the pain. If I'm able to pass some gas I may get by feeling just discomfort, but most of the time it is debilitating pain for at least 3 hours, and then may start to ease a little before I sleep.

My dietician suspected SIBO but I went on a diet with almost 0 carbs (absolutely no refined carbohydrates whatsoever) as well as No FODMAPS for three weeks now and have no improvement.

Is it possible that the naproxen instigated some upper gastro troubles, maybe h pylori?

My gastro (who I've now stopped seeing and am trying to get another, he was not a good person and I was treated very poorly) did an endoscopy with biopsy and small bowel MRI, BUT I was taking antibiotics at the time of the testing as well as still taking naproxen and morphine occasionally. In my mind these tests may not be accurate re infection or inflammation as a result of the medication.

Any advice? I'm taking amytriptyline 10 mg nightly and I'm going to start taking another 10 in the am to see if there's any improvement.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer I'm so tired I've been in constant pain with pelvic floor issues and this for almost a year.

PS,

Also taking the following:

- gas x
- beano when I eat veggies
- lorazepam as needed (maybe once weekly)
- buscopan (does nothing much)
- reglan 30 min before eating
- ibgard peppermint capsules 60 min before eating
- pepto bismol
- amitryptiline 10 mg nightly
- mezavant (prescribed a long time ago for lower bowel inflammation)
- tuzen probiotic

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Keep following through with the doctor or perhaps see a naturopath. I personally prefer a naturopath. They look to causes and are less likely to put you in a box...they look at you individually.

That is a lot of medications and supplements. I would try a diet route and reduce the meds as much as possible. Some good diets to research and try are the low FODMAP diet (http://www.med.monas.../gastro/fodmap/) the Candida diet with anti-fungals, and the SCD diet. (.http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/home/) Some people have also reported success with a ketosis diet.

#3 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

Thanks. I've also seen a naturopath and registered dietitian and we tried the low FODMAP diet, SCD diet specific for SIBO, and a diet of less than 10 carbs daily...no luck with any of them.

#4 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

I get the same pain in the late afternoon as well.  Actually,   I wouldn't really call it a pain,   more like a gnawing,  like you said.   I have IBS-D and have suffered these symptoms for 30 years.   Medication helps with the D,  but I've never found anything that helps that gnawing feeling.   I'm assuming it is gas because I get very gassy later in the afternoon and after my evening meal.   What I eat doesn't seem to make any difference.   I've tried using a heating pad in the area....it may help some,  but not enough. 

#5 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:09 AM

I just kind of assumed it's part of the body's whole circadian rhythm thing.  Even though my routine is drastically different on some days (i.e., 3 days a week I deliver newspapers in the early morning, so I will be up at 2 am [after getting a few hours of sleep] and probably won't get to sleep until 8-11 am, but other times will be asleep in the early morning), my gut noises, gut pain and bm [often D, but occasionally I have C and will get pressure and gas, but won't go] will tend to be worst in the early mid afternoon hours (about 2 pm - 4 pm).

If I get a flare up, it could happen at different times or pressure, gas, and D, could continue into the evening or start again after I eat, but most of the time early afternoon is when I have the worst issues.

On the other hand, I do notice that pain, cramps and D can come on suddenly when I get up and move around after laying down  [after sleeping, sometimes even just an hour nap].

#6 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thanks guys. Sorry you're suffering too.

I don't think it's just a natural thing as this particular pain only started a few months ago after taking those meds (naproxen and morphine). I'm noticing it's very much on the left side - where the "splenic flexure" is located. Doesn't matter when or what I eat, I get this sharp horrible pain in that spot. I'm wondering if it's gas or food getting caught at that kink and causing spasms - splenic flexure syndrome. I'm going to go see a physiotherapist and osteopath who does visceral manipulation to see if they can loosen up and help relax the area. I'm also thinking of taking an all around digestive enzyme, since I have so much undigested food come out of me it's not funny. Things just don't work right!

Also going to try taking buscopan around 1:00 - 2:00 pm preventatively - maybe it will help prevent painful spasm.

Sigh. I'm so tired of this wrecking havoc on my life. I can't do anything past 3 pm ever. It's debilitating...I'm only 25 and doctors so far have only been dismissive. It all just feels unfair!

#7 Cherryman

Cherryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

I know this is an old post but I'm working derringer if you ever sorted this out. I have similar issues in that my stomach is pretty settled when I wake up but then gradually flares up midday to late afternoon. It's become a regular pattern for almost six weeks. I have had this gwaning burning pain a few years back then it went away for 18 months or so. Doctors have always said IBS. Bloods and stools OK. I can't believe this pain can be IBS.

#8 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hey cherryman - turns out I was diagnosed with ibs and a motility issue. Im working on getting this treated at the moment and things still arent great. Ibe done a lactulose breath test (positive for methane bacteria...like reallllly positive), and am waiting to have a sitz market test to see whats going on with my motility.

My new gastroenterologist thinks that the sibo is merely a symptom of a motility issue. He suspects that my small intestine is not moving/emptying well. This allows food to sit too long in there and for the bacteria to feed off it and release gases - this can cause a lot of pain, as its easily trapped and has a long way to go before it comes out. The timing makes sense - the afternoon is probably when the gases created from breakfast have really built up. If this is the case - as my gastro susupects - then it can be treated with certain medications (like prucalopride) that dont have a lot of side effects.

I hope this helps you a bit - if you have a gastro, those are two tests you may want to look into.

#9 Cherryman

Cherryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:16 AM

Thank you Gilmoregirl. Some interesting notes there. Think I am going to force the Dr for more tests instead of just being diagnosed with IBS. Surely cannot go through life with this constant pain. Just feels like my digestive system is shot to pieces. I am currently on anti depressants to try and get my anxiety down thus settling my stomach but don't feel this is the issue. Taken gluten and dairy out for two weeks and still no difference.
Hopefully we can all be pain free soon.
Good luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pain, Probiotic, Sibo, Gas, Ibs, Endoscopy, H pylori, Burping, Belching

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here