What do I have? Freaking out? Sigmoidoscopy and biopsy normal. - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What do I have? Freaking out? Sigmoidoscopy and biopsy normal.

anxious pan sigmoidoscopy biopsy confused stomach diet nutrition fiber GI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hydrogurl01

hydrogurl01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Advertisement

Hi, almost 2 months ago I was admitted into the ER because I suddenly had some horrific stomach pains and a horrible painful diarrhea episode. Now, I've been known to have stomach aches every now and then, but usually I can attribute that to some bad eating habits or they're not terrible enough for a cause of concern, usually something Pepto or Mylenta would fix. This time around when I went to the ER, definitely not. There was bits of blood in my stool as well, which I thought was just attributed to hemerrhoids since I had one before and assumed it came back. They did a CT scan and blood work at the ER. Blood work showed a slight elevation in my white blood cells which they said could be an infection. CT scan showed I had inflammation in my intestines. They set me up with a round of flagyl  for a week which helped with the pain after a while. I had a GI doctor appointment where he said he suspects it was an infection that brought me into the ER with that much pain since I have no history of any other conditions or family history with such conditions. He performed a sigmoidoscopy a few weeks ago since the CT scan showed inflammation in my lower left abdomen area. Sigmoidoscopy came back fine apparently (I was really out of it after the exam since I was sedated and don't really remember a whole lot haha). He said I have a healthy colon but do have some internal hemerrhoids and should be upping my fiber intake and vegetables which makes sense since my eating habits are pretty awful. He also took a biopsy and I was told that was normal after a week. My question is, though, it's been almost 2 months since my visit to the ER and I still am not completely fine or back to my normal self. I still have issues with constipation and sudden multiple trips to the bathroom. Not as much pain as the original ER trip or anything close to it, but somethings I feel like I'm cramping inside my lower left abdomen region, especially when I need to go to the bathroom or just at random points. I'm no longer seeing blood in my stool except for maybe a few times when I wiped and saw blood which is probably the hemerrhoid, but I am bloating up whenever I eat anything. Could the sigmoidoscopy or biopsy have missed something, or am I just freaking out for no reason? The latter could definitely be it since I've been scaring myself silly looking things up online. I'm a 23 year old female, by the way if that helps and have been quite stressed at work for a month prior to my ER visit. Maybe stress had to do with it? But if this was an infection that took me into the ER, shouldn't that have been gone by now? I've been having soluble fiber supplement in my water for some time now and a glass of warm honey water and have been eating Activia Probiotic yogurt, too since I've read probiotics are good to eat. Any advice would be great! I'm just so scared when it comes to health issues, I'm otherwise a fairly healthy person I'd say. I haven't worked out since the ER incident since I'm not sure if that's good for me to do right now, but prior to that I'd work out quite consistently. Thank you so much for all your help in advance!

#2 willow_tree

willow_tree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

This sounds somewhat similar to what happened to me. I'm 27 and I've been dealing with this for about 3 months now.

I had a horrible episode of extreme stomach pain and D. That's what started it all. I went to an urgent care center, and I was told I probably had an infection, and should follow-up with my GI.

My GI confirmed that it seemed like I had an infection, and we did a CT scan, stool test, etc. I started to slowly, slowly get better, but I was still dealing with constant, painful D. I started various medications (bentyl, tramadol, pepto bismol) to help with this. I finally had a colonoscopy last week which showed pretty much nothing (although I am still waiting for the lab results to come back later this week). 

My doctor said it's likely I have post-infectious IBS. This is basically IBS brought on after a serious infection. She said that the majority of people do eventually get entirely better, but it can take months, sometimes years. With the help of medication for both pain and now anxiety, I've been able to regain somewhat of a normal life. I'm still pretty reclusive, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Don't be afraid to go back and ask your doctor more questions! Managing my stress has been a big part of my recovery process. And part of that has been understanding that medication is part of that process (I am very stubborn about taking medications). 

Good luck, and keep us posted! Stay strong. 

• hydrogurl01 and Christine21 like this

#3 hydrogurl01

hydrogurl01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! I had a follow up appointment last week, and turns out they did a colonoscopy, not just a sigmoidoscopy and everything was completely healthy. My GI said that with biopsies, they usually will find the slightest bit of concern and make a note of that on the biopsy results, but mine literally said no signs of anything on it, which gave me some happiness but then I realized I'm still feeling like this and nothing is showing up in these tests. I'm still bleeding with a lot of mucus whenever I try going to the bathroom. I haven't had diarrhea a whole lot, but I have been constipated with blood and mucus. I'm not on any sort of medications at all, but I'm going to try the sitz baths for hemmerrhoids, maybe that'll help with the blood? I'm also the same sort of way with medicine. If it's not absolutely necessary, I'd rather not take it because those can have plenty of their own side effects that I'd rather not deal with. Is it normal to still be bleeding and have all this mucus months after the original infection? Do you know if acupuncture is a useful natural treatment to try out?

#4 willow_tree

willow_tree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

I have no idea about the bleeding and mucous, but all I can say is that if your doctor is recommending you try a medication, even though you're nervous about the side effects, it might be worth a try. I discovered that the side effects for me (tiredness, headaches) were not as bad, and worth the pain relief they gave me.

I actually did a month of acupuncture. I'm not sure if it did anything, but it really helped me relax and destress, which ultimately helped speed up my recovery.

I'm now working with my doctor to get off the pain medicines and switch to a long term antidepressant to help me manage my pain and anxiety. All my biopsies from my colonoscopy came back negative.

Hope my experiences are helpful! But please keep talking to your doctor. Only they can really tell you what's going on, and what can work for you.

Stay strong!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxious, pan, sigmoidoscopy, biopsy, confused, stomach, diet, nutrition, fiber, GI

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here