antidepressants? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

antidepressants?

antidepressants anxiety ibs pi-ibs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 willow_tree

willow_tree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

Advertisement

Hi all -

27y/o female with PI-IBS going on 3 months now. 

I haven't seen anything recently on this, but I was wondering about people's success in using antidepressants to combat both IBS symptoms and anxiety that comes along with it/triggers symptoms. This is something I've been discussing with my GI, but I'm interested to know other people's stories! What have you tried? What has worked, what hasn't, etc.? 

Thanks! Looking forward to your responses. 

#2 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

I have taken amitriptyline an antidepressant for 7 years.lessens abdominal pain and diarrhea subsidies due to its constipation aspect.But it has many side reactions. So I stopped it.
You should take antidepressant with the consult of a doctor.you may take it easily for 3 months.
Thanks

#3 Lovemykids47

Lovemykids47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

I was on lexapro for 3 years, it did wonders for my ibs. I stopped taking lexapro about 3 months ago and my ibs has flared up so bad

#4 atrix

atrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

I recently posted about this.  10mg of prozac has helped me a lot.

#5 Barney71

Barney71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

I did my share as well, though not nearly much as you guys did. It has helped me, but after just accepting myself and my problems I decided to stay firm and fight everything life has to throw at my face with my own strength.

#6 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Gradually antidepressants lose their effectiveness.
  • ♧Pandora☆ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antidepressants, anxiety, ibs, pi-ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here