Enteric coated peppermint: how often? - Over-the-Counter (OTC) Treatments - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Enteric coated peppermint: how often?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blackrose86

blackrose86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Advertisement

Hello!

I've read good things about supplements like IBGard, however I read the studies and apparently symptoms were reduced for those with IBS-C and IBS-D when taking 2 pills before meals for at least 28 days. My most prevalent symptoms are bloating and distention, so i'm not even sure if this will work for me. i'm willing to try anyways, but taking IBgard that often is WAY too expensive for me, so i'm trying it with Now Peppermint Gels. however I'm also eating smaller meals (about 4-6 meals a day) and trying to keep some meals as low fodmap as possible. So... should I be taking these pills before every meal? even with my completely low fodmap snacks? it says to not exceed 8 pills a day... would like to know someone else's input on this smile.png

Thanks!

#2 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

I consider it more for relaxing the intestines and the upper stomach that it directly affects with me. I'm trying IBgard for very painful intestinal spasming and my probiotics separately (peppermint is a little antibiotic as far as I could search). So far, one 1/2 hr. before breakfast and same before lunch to see if that's all I need. Good now for two days. Less gas trapping. My diet is Monash' low fodmap, but no dairy at all, or any rough foods, since my spasms are so harsh. My intestinal spasming can also cause extremely painful upper GI stomach pain and heartburn, so my motility is a big problem. They had found inflammation at the end of my sm intestine ilium area years ago with an endoscopy. I'm taking 2 non-gassy methylcellulose soluble fiber caplets (for years) with a around 3/4 cup of water before eating sm frequent well chewed meals too, which is a must to prevent spasming. biggrin.png

Edited by minimalizer, 11 August 2017 - 10:02 PM.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here