Is this really IBS? - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is this really IBS?

pain stomach pain excruciating twisting cramping spasm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cstew014

cstew014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Advertisement

I was diagnosed with IBS in 2012 (mostly IBS-D) but after changing my diet, I have been able to control the symptoms for the most part, and do not have a lot of issues with it, other than the occasional bout after greasy/fatty foods or alcohol and some bloating. I am very lucky compared to many suffering with IBS!

So, the issue: since 2009 I've been experiencing these stomach "attacks". It comes on very slowly, almost always between 11am and 3pm. It feels like a stomach ache; a dull, gnawing pain, but it gradually gets worse and worse over an hour or so. It eventually peaks for anywhere from 15-30 minutes, where the pain is excruciating -- I can barely stand up, and nothing is comfortable except to lay down or hunch over and literally moan and writhe in pain. I would say the pain is an 8 or 9/10. It feels like my stomach is being twisted, stretched and stabbed. I would describe it almost like contractions. However, the pain always subsides in 15 or 20 minutes and then slowly gets less and less painful over the next hour or so. During these episodes I am completely bloated and look 9 months pregnant. The pain is all over - it is my entire stomach that hurts. For the rest of the day my stomach will still be sore on and off but the pain is no longer excruciating, maybe a 5 or 6/10 pain wise.

Here is where I get stuck: I have NO other symptoms during these episodes. No nausea, no diarrhea, no need or desire to go to the bathroom at all. In fact, having a bowel movement does not seem to help at all. The only other symptom is I may feel somewhat gassy, but that's it. These episodes don't happen often -- I may go 6 months without one, and then I may have 2 in the span of a month or two. They seem to be completely random. I haven't eaten ANYTHING out of the norm when I get these attacks; my diet is the same as any other day when I don't have an episode. I have never been able to identify ANY triggers. The worst part is no medication seems to help - Advil, Gravol, Pepto Bismol, nothing.  I've had 3 doctors, none of who can figure it out. They have ruled out cysts, and the only symptoms I've ever seen that even come close are chronic appendicitis or biliary colic, but even those don't seem totally right.

I'm wondering if this is just part of IBS? Could this really be "just gas"?! Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It happens rarely but when it does it is debilitating and the pain is unbearable. I wish I knew something that could help

ANY ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

#2 daak

daak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

First of all we need to determine whether those pain are really stomach pain as you say or intestinal pain.

Those 2 organs share a lot but they also differ quite a bit when it comes to pathological issues.

I suggest you look online the location of the stomach and the typical pains that comes from it to confirm this.

If you can confirm that this is a stomach issue then get tested for H. Pylori and have an endoscopy to check if there's no gastritis.

If its not a stomach issue but something else then it could very well be IBS. My IBS is pain only, i don't have any weird bowel movements and like you i can control it with diet.

But sometime totally randomly i will get a bout of pain that will last a day or more.

The best thing you can do is during the next episode of pain get a blood test for the C reactive protein.

If the results are high then its because of an infection hence not IBS, if its low then its IBS ( most probably )

#3 Natalie628

Natalie628

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

I have experienced this type of pain/stomach attacks.  It used to only happen when I would eat my trigger foods, but now I can be eating my "safe" bland foods and it happens randomly.  Mine usually starts on the lower left side and I have stabbing pains that last a few seconds where I can barely breathe and need to be hunched over. The pain happens on and off for about an hour and then I have diarrhea for a while, which usually helps with the pain. After a few hours, I feel okay again.  I have no idea why these attacks have been getting worse, and like you, I can't pinpoint what is causing them anymore.  I wish I had advice on what helps, but unfortunately, I haven't found the answer myself.  I have had many blood tests, H. Pylori test, colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, internal ultrasound, gallbladder tests, and they all came back clear.  Which leads my doctors to believe it's just severe IBS.  However, I know my body and can't understand how or why my IBS has just gotten so much worse all the sudden after 10 years.  My doctor has told me before that with IBS, since it's a functional disorder, you can eat one thing one day, and then the same meal the next day and it might affect you differently.  Which may be why you're getting attacks when you haven't changed your diet.  I wish I had more advice on what helps this! Hoping you find some answers as well!!  

#4 Redmapletree

Redmapletree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hmmmm. The way you describe it reminds me of how I feel with abdominal gas. Slowly builds up but within about 30 min it is horrible, hurts all the way through to my mid back. When i first start to feel that growing discomfort I take Extra Strength GasX and it helps by taking what may be a large gas bubble and breaking it down to smaller bubbles. Until I realized it was gas I was frustrated. Like, you, I couldn't sit up, walk - nothing helped but laying down.

With all of that said, maybe it would be best to talk to your doctor.

#5 Mary84

Mary84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

Hi everyone i need help.I m bew so i cannot create a new post yet.I want to tell you my story because i m still looking for answers.6months ago i had a laparoscopic surgery (myomectomy)10days after the surgery and while the bloating from CO2was gone i was feeling like there was still gas or something near my navel.I said ok probably its still some gas but then everytime i was eating i had terrible bloating (like 6minths pregnant)I went to the doctor.i had chest and abdominal xrays because i told him that i feel like a have a mass in my belly.I had blood tests,ultrasound,test for e pylori everything came back normal.Inow except from bloating i have a lot of gas .I m bulging all day.I don t have diahrroia but my stools are more loose than normal.In the morning my stomach is flat but stil feels like there is something inside and by the end of the day i m huge.I ve tried antispasmodic,x gas but didn t help.Does anyone else feels that there is a mass in your stomach?Doctors beleive its ibs irritated by the surgery.I never had any problem before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pain, stomach pain, excruciating, twisting, cramping, spasm

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here