Hypnotherapy for abdominal pain? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Hypnotherapy for abdominal pain?

Hypnotherapy Pain Hypersensitivity Laxative Enema

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Advertisement
Hi,

I'm currently dealing with debilitating ibs. The worst symptom for me is the gut pain. It's generally located right under my ribs and radiates around to my sides (especially the left). If I do t have pain, I have severe discomfort/bloating. I'm never comfortable and feel as though I'm "aware" of my gut and it's movements all the time. I generally have some relief (temporary) when I have a bowel movement or pass lots of gas. As a result, I have to use laxatives, enemas and suppositories to ensure I can have a twice daily bowel movement, or else the pain builds to unbearable amounts.

I'm in the process of trying rifaximin for possible SIBO, then will be trying constella, and then maybe increasing my current dose of amytriptiline from 20mg to 30mg. I cannot get a gastroenterologist at the moment, my gp is trying but it's difficult (I did see a gastro for a couple of years, he did several tests with no luck, told me I was hypochondriac and refused to see me again...but now no gastro will see me since I've already had "extensive" testing done).

I've been told that hypnotherapy may help me. But I've got to say I'm pretty skeptical. I've done some research and see that it is successful in many cases, but my pain comes on so suddenly and my discomfort is so constant (and both seem independent of anxiety) I don't know if it could help.

Has anyone had hypnotherapy before specifically for ibs - and in particular for visceral hypersensitivity (pain predominant ibs)?

Also, if anyone has any similar symptoms and has found any diagnosis or help, please let me know. I'm 25 and nearly housebound, my life revolves around going to the bathroom and how my stomach feels.

I've recently been wondering about gall bladder or pancreas issues - if anyone knows if this could explain my symptoms please let me know.

Thanks so much for all the support on this board.

-GG

#2 Aelin1703

Aelin1703

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

Hi GG (Love the name btw), I have just started hypnotherapy so its too early for results. However, I think it could definitely help your pain as it's about helping your gut overall so regardless of whether or not the pain is sudden it has the potential to help. Also reputable medical trials have shown that it DOES help many patients, since you say you are almost housebound I think it would be worth a shot, it also aims to lower any stress you may be feeling as a result of dealing with IBS which in turn affects your gut. Hope this helps 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hypnotherapy, Pain, Hypersensitivity, Laxative, Enema

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here