Rifaximin causing smelly gas? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Rifaximin causing smelly gas?

Rifaximin Xifaxan Antibiotic Gas Flatulence Bloating Pain

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GilmoreGirl

GilmoreGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

Advertisement
Hi all,

I'm about a quarter of the way through a 14 day course of rifaximin/ xifaxan (500 mg 3x daily) for possible SIBO. I haven't seen much difference yet EXCEPT that the gas I do have is suddenly very smelly. This wasn't an issue at all for me before!

I've been taking a probiotic called Balanse (Lactobacillus acidophilus (LA-14), Bifidobacterium longum (BB-536) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (PB-01)) for months, and am continuing to take it - but it's difficult to try and time it right when I'm taking antibiotics 3x daily - no point in taking them at the same time.

Could the antibiotic be causing this smelly gas? Is it something I should be worried about?

I've also been looking at ordering VSL3 probiotic for when I'm done the antibiotic to try and repopulate with good stuff. Any thoughts on this? Did it help relieve pain or gas (my main symptoms).

Thanks,

GG

#2 Fefoe44

Fefoe44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

That medicine tends to get rid of the bad bacteria. Your body could be adjusting to the medicine or reacting on it in some way. However, we can result to the fact that you should not stop the probiotics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rifaximin, Xifaxan, Antibiotic, Gas, Flatulence, Bloating, Pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here