Small Amount of Mucus in The Top of Stool - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Small Amount of Mucus in The Top of Stool

mucus stool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giovinazzo

Giovinazzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Advertisement

Hi,

I usually have two bowel movements a day and usually one of them is with small amount of something I think it is mucus. I learned that small amount of mucus is nothing to worry about, but on some sites they say if it is visible by naked eye then something could be wrong. So, I'm not really sure what normal amount of mucus is and what is too much of it.

When I have mucus it is always on the top of the first poop (sorry if this is not a suitable word, English isn't my first language) and it's there only if the poop is very solid. Most often other pieces that comes out are soft and without mucus in it. Also if the whole bowel movement is soft (type 5 on Bristol chart) there is not visible mucus at all. 

Mucus is located in poop cracks. It is white or yellow substance, consistency is the same as mucus from nose. And now the amount thing: It is enough small that it could be placed on the nail of the small finger or even on the half of it. Not sure if that is small enough to say it's normal or there is something to worry about?

Other symptoms: in November I noticed a very small drop of light blood in the toilet. In April again. In the same time (in April) there was soft, tender lump in on my anus which was later more like a tinny cut on the skin. I assume it was an external hemorrhoid or anal fissure? 

I also had delayed discomfort after bowel movement. One hour after a bowel movement everything is fine, then discomfort in anal region starts. It used to last up to 3 hours and then everything was fine. If there was no bowel movements, there was no issues at all. First I was worried it is cancer or something then I released it was a muscular thing. Maybe sphincter spasms or something like that. I've found out this is very often with anal fissures and sometimes with internal hemorrhoids (Very possible I have them too) However, I started to massage pelvic zone and since that I'm free of this symptom.

I used a popular cream for hemorrhoid treatment  for 2-3 weeks and my condition improved a lot (now I have very little to no anal itch, I believe it also helped with delayed discomfort).

I'm 35 old male, very healthy, eating mainly vegetarian diet, love to run and exercise but I'm sitting for long period due to my job. No serious health issues history in family.

How this sounds to you? Could all this (mucus, blood, delayed discomfort) be caused by hemorrhoids? Should I be worried or there are no big chances that I'm seriously ill? I know you will told me that I should visit a doctor, but I suffer of some kind of health anxiety and I'm too afraid to make an appointment. I simply can't cope with a possibility to be diagnosed with something bad and waiting for results would be too much for me. But this is another story...

Thanks!

#2 Giovinazzo

Giovinazzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Just one additional info: mucus is present only if stool is pellet like. That kind of stool is usually on the beginning of the bowel movement and after a piece of hard (pellet like), one inch or so long stool other parts of stool are more soft and without mucus.

What this means? Is mucus in hard parts of stool sign that something is wrong?

#3 Giovinazzo

Giovinazzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm starting to freaking out over this.. Could you guys PLEASE check the image of my stool to see if that is mucus? I know it is gross, but I really need someone to help me.

Here is the pic: https://image.ibb.co/cYbKNv/mucus.jpg As you will see I marked in green what I think it is mucus. So, what is that? Is that too much mucus? Should I worry or this is normal?

Thanks!

#4 ccoleman

ccoleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

A small amount of mucus in stool is usually nothing to worry about. Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus — a jelly-like substance that your intestines make to keep the lining of your colon moist and lubricated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mucus, stool

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here