Is this IBS? I am so scared its colon cancer. I hope I am wrong. Please someone help :( - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is this IBS? I am so scared its colon cancer. I hope I am wrong. Please someone help :(

possible IBS change in bowel habits stool color medication gas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlarosa84

mlarosa84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Advertisement

Hello everyone. I am so sorry to be a bother, as I know I post quite often, but I am having some issues that are scaring me and I hope someone out there can help me. As my previous posts have said, I was told I had a fatty liver a year and a half ago. I am 5'11 and was 210 pounds. I had a CT, MRI, 3 lab works, and a digital rectal exam which was negative for blood. I usually only have a bowel movement when I wake up in the morning, but lately a few days during the week I will go a second time which scares me ad sometimes it is a bit thinner and darker than I would think is normal. I have been such a wreck over this. I am on medications, Seroquel, Lexapro, and Klonopin. Even though the tests I had a year and a half ago, didn't show anything other than the fatty liver, if I had colon cancer, wouldn't something have indicated that? I am 32, 33 December 22nd and I have an almost 2 years old daughter. I am so scared!!!

#2 Hatemybowels!

Hatemybowels!

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm no doctor but I think the color is of concern IF it is black and tarry. As far as pooping a second time sometimes, that's common with IBS. BM's that are all over the place is sadly our "normal". If you're that concerned perhaps just a visit with your doc may help you. Also anxiety can cause digestive upset in a lot of folks. I'm one of them. It sucks!

#3 mlarosa84

mlarosa84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

I have been so scared over this the past year and a half, that I have been to the ER 5 times. I have also been to my doctor numerous times and have called him so many times, literally more than I can count. He always feels and listens to my stomach and says it feels and sounds normal.

#4 JeffR

JeffR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

See if your doc can request a CBC so at least you know your overall cancer score (if you haven't already).

I know how stressed this can make you feel, as I felt the same way thinking I had colon cancer back in Nov-Dec-Jan when I started having severe IBS-D issues (also have family history).

With my persistent IBS-D and overall feeling horrible for over a month, I was so scared and convinced I had colon cancer until my colonoscopy in January confirmed I do NOT have colon cancer, so you may want to ask your doc about getting one.

And yes, every time I saw my GI doc he felt/listened to various parts and all checked out.

And I also have fatty liver (which made me think THAT was the reason I was sick....but recently confirmed with my GI doc that has nothing to do with my GI issues).

#5 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

I understand what you mean.  Sometimes this thought creeps into my head as well, but I also suffer from OCD and health anxiety - so having any symptom of any kind concerns me, but then when I start having a lot of different symptoms my mind goes to the worst place.   I am afraid to have a colonoscopy because I am afraid that they will find something bad.   Anyway, my point is that I understand your fear very well. 

Sometimes I have thin stools too, and of course that scares me.  I did have a fecal occult blood test twice that turned out negative, and I have to convince myself that something would have shown up there.  

At your age, I think it would be rare to be honest.   I see you are in the States, and I have heard that there is some kind of new test that you can take at home?  You have to submit a fecal sample through mail courier and this lab will check it to look for cancer or pre-cancer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: possible IBS, change in bowel habits, stool color, medication, gas

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here