Extreme and Severe Amounts of Gas - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Extreme and Severe Amounts of Gas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tolliverarmstrong

Tolliverarmstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

Advertisement

For a little over a year now I've been dealing with IBS-C. It first started with gas that smelled like death, but if I cut out a few foods I didn't have to worry about it (the gas, the constipation was still present). Since then though, maybe for eleven months, it seems as though 95% of foods will cause a build up of tremendous amounts of gas. If you were to press on my stomach you would be able to hear all of it trapped in there. I can't be sure what the cause was, but if I'm remembering correctly things started getting worse after a round of Xifaxan. Not sure if that was the culprit though or just my luck getting worse. The gas also gets caught in my rectal region and moves around which is a maddening sensation, the only way to relieve the gas is to lay on my back and bring my knees up to my head; extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable!

Thankfully my doctor has gave me a product called enteragam which has helped me go to the bathroom each day but nothing has changed on the gas front. We'll see what happens when my prescription runs out.... If anyone has dealt with this successfully, or is undergoing something similar, let's talk about it. Also, hopefully, if a future internet browser sees this post we may be able to help them. 

#2 Tolliverarmstrong

Tolliverarmstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:51 PM

Oh, I should also add that Betaine HCl seems to provide the only relief. When I brought this up to my doctor he hadn't heard of the product and said to continue using it. I guess he was unconcerned with the possibility that I was under-producing acid

#3 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Have you been tested for SIBO with a breath test? Constipation and gas/feces that smells like sewage or rotting eggs are common symptoms for C type SIBO.

#4 Tolliverarmstrong

Tolliverarmstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Have you been tested for SIBO with a breath test? Constipation and gas/feces that smells like sewage or rotting eggs are common symptoms for C type SIBO.

Yes I have been and I am supposedly okay on that front

#5 Risen

Risen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thank you for sharing. I, too, suffer from copious amounts of flatulence. Sometimes there is no odor; other times it's enough to knock a buzzard off a manure wagon. Have tried everything. Nothing seems to help. I pretty much just deal with it as best I can. Maybe someday someone will come up with a miracle cure.  I hope you find relief soon. I am not clear on what SIBO stands for? 

#6 Tolliverarmstrong

Tolliverarmstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Thank you for sharing. I, too, suffer from copious amounts of flatulence. Sometimes there is no odor; other times it's enough to knock a buzzard off a manure wagon. Have tried everything. Nothing seems to help. I pretty much just deal with it as best I can. Maybe someday someone will come up with a miracle cure.  I hope you find relief soon. I am not clear on what SIBO stands for? 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. SIBO stands for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. 

#7 sarahdrew

sarahdrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

try peppermint capsules before main meals

look up food combining, as some types of food pair better for digestion

betaine hcl can be good, you need to make sure you are taking the correct dose. look up betaine hcl dosing as sometimes it takes over 5000 mg per meal to see the benefits.  it sounds like  alot but it isn't. if it's what your body needs it could really help you a lot

triphala is really good too

these are the main things that help me

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here