I'm always sick and people don't care anymore - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I'm always sick and people don't care anymore

depression IBS-D Period Family

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doloresrdz

doloresrdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Advertisement

Hi,

I just wanted to know if this has happened to you. I suffer from IBS-D and I'm always sick, I miss work sometimes when I cannot handle the pain. Today I missed work because I'm on my period and my IBS-D gets really bad every month with my period. I had to call in sick. My fiance got really upset at me because instead of being productive and work I was laying down in bed until 3pm. Am I wrong? I got really upset when he told me that. He said that I'm always sick and that with time it does not have the same effect. That is different when someone normal is sick, you feel bad for them because they are always fine but with me, I'm always sick so he is used to it.

I really don't know what to do, am I wrong in feeling hurt? Please I need advice from someone who maybe understands my situation better. Thank you for reading this. 

#2 Citizen33

Citizen33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'm so sorry that you are in pain and being treated badly for it. Yes, I can relate. IBS-D is one of those invisible illnesses that normal people don't understand, or think is all in your head. I also understand about it being worse during your period. That used to happen to me as well.

Are you often bedridden? If so, I think you need to talk to your doctor about a more aggressive treatment plan. That is no way to live.

#3 RubyinMD

RubyinMD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

I missed work today b/c of my IBS-D. People who haven't been through it often don't understand. I think they think that you just get up and go to the bathroom when you need to.

And I agree about bedridden being no way to live. I have a follow up with my gastro next week and I'm going to take a hard line on new treatments, tests, meds, whatever. This has been over a year for me and I AM NOT BETTER. I can't work out, I can't travel, I'm taking sick days at my new job (I'm never been a sickly person)...it's all no way to live.

#4 Nanmc

Nanmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

I go to bed sometimes too. When I can fall asleep and nap for I while, I usually wake up feeling much better. Generally, I think staying up and active is best if you can manage it. I know some days it's just impossible. Napping bring the relaxation that helps IBS so much.

#5 Ceylon432

Ceylon432

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

Right after a bout of diarrhea, I get bad pain in my stomach on the left side. I have to go lie down and take pain meds. Hyocyamine so far is the only thing that seems to work for me. IBS will totally knock you off your feet.

#6 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

People don't care for us because we don't do work in the same manner as healthy people do.we are not leading a normal life due to nasty ibs.so how can an abnormal man do work normally?
I also sometimes bedridden.
Thanks.

#7 orangeapple22

orangeapple22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:55 AM

Yes, I understand completely why you feel so upset. I find it so difficult to come to terms with the fact I have IBS-D, and I often hide it from my partner because I feel so embarrassed and ashamed that I feel ill so often when there isn't a medical cause. He finds it difficult to understand why I am ill all the time, and thinks it is entirely in my head. I suppose the important thing to remember is that you cannot help it; and your partner needs to understand this. If it is at the point when he is actually upsetting you, then you need to make him research and understand your disease. I am really sorry for what you're going through!

#8 Liz26

Liz26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Yes, I understand completely why you feel so upset. I find it so difficult to come to terms with the fact I have IBS-D, and I often hide it from my partner because I feel so embarrassed and ashamed that I feel ill so often when there isn't a medical cause. He finds it difficult to understand why I am ill all the time, and thinks it is entirely in my head. I suppose the important thing to remember is that you cannot help it; and your partner needs to understand this. If it is at the point when he is actually upsetting you, then you need to make him research and understand your disease. I am really sorry for what you're going through!

Just to clarify:
IBS HAVE a medical cause. Specially IBS-d. Is a toxin that many digestive bacteria cause and is called cdt-B (cytolethal distending toxin B) which interacts with vinculin (a protein in our body that works with gut motility).

Next time someone tells you is all in your head, tell them that they think that because they dont have an autoinmune disease (which is pretty much how cdtb and vinculin works). Please, tell your loved ones about your situation so they can understand and be compasionated about it.
  • Akn1965 likes this

#9 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

Very good explanationLiz26
Thanks.

#10 amber2k17

amber2k17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

You should have compassion and support from a loved one, not disbelief and patronising comments. Think you should look carefully at the relationship as to be with someone who thinks it's all in your head may actually make IBS worse. Remember for many IBS is related to hormone imbalance, stress and anxiety, hence why it may be worse during your period. IBS can be very limiting and disabling, do you eat stool bulking foods? For some people hard cheese and bread does this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, IBS-D, Period, Family

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here