Probiotics question - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Probiotics question

probiotics antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

Advertisement

Hello!  I have been suffering from SIBO since January, and finally was able to get it diagnosed and treated about a month ago.   The symptoms improved after the antibiotics, but I still had some bloating and motility issues.  Then the bloating came back, full on, as it had been before.  I freaked out of course, thinking the SIBO is back, the SIBO is back - great, how many rounds of antibiotics will I need.  Then I thought I'd give probiotics a try, and a certain brand has been a miracle for me.  Clearly I have some sort of dysbiosis happening, and the probiotics are correcting this.

My question is this.  I am quite sick at the moment with a chest cold, sore throat, sinus, and ear infection and I need to take augmentin.  I have been trying to put this off, and just load up on vitamin C and echinacea and solve this naturally, but it isn't working and I know that I really do need to take this.  I am worried, and concerned that this will bring the SIBO back, and reverse all of the good things that the probiotics have done.

Do I keep taking the probiotics while on the antibiotics?  It would seem to me that it would just be wasting money to put bacteria in my gut, and kill it off a few hours later with an antibiotic.  I am so worried that this is going to set me back, and somehow bring the SIBO back again.

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Take the probiotics a couple hours after taking the antibiotic. That is the protocol.

#3 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Great, thanks for that!

#4 Hartigan

Hartigan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Also I antibiotics do not differentiate between good and bad bacteria - I believe it may wipe out your SIBO causing bac as well - btw, is constipation a manifestation of SIBO? I'm wondering if I should get tested as well - how were you diagnosed & what led to it?

#5 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi Hartigan.  It depends on what type of SIBO you have.  You can have either hydrogen dominant (diarrhea) or methane dominate (constipation).  I knew that it was SIBO before I was diagnosed, because one day after taking a very strong probiotic with prebiotic for about a week I became bloated like I was pregnant and could no longer have a bowel movement (if you have even a slight overgrowth, and you take prebiotics it will cause it to proliferate and become much, much worse - so that was my big mistake).  When I did manage to I would have few little dehydrated pebbles - even though I drank over two liters of water a day.  I tried increasing my fiber as everyone tells you to do, but it only made it worse.   I knew that this was associated with the probiotic, because this was the only thing that I did differently.  I was also experiencing slowed motility at the time, as I was visiting my family in the US, stayed longer than I was supposed to and ran out of thyroid medicine.  When I returned, I resumed my thyroid medicine, but the motility did not return.  It was a nightmare.  I had to take laxatives all of the time.  Stimulant laxatives wouldn't work unless I took a massive, massive dose of them.  I knew that it wasn't a blockage or something because the motility stopped, the peristalsis - the muscles pushing everything out seemed to be paralyzed or just go to sleep.  The more fiber I ate, the worse it got. 

After much research, I found that my symptoms matched methane dominant SIBO to a "T."  It was exactly it.  SO I needed to find a doctor who would test me for it, and prescribe antibiotics.  It took a long time for the antibiotics to work, over a week to see an improvement.  The motility is slow to come back, but it is happening with the help of Resolor.  But the stools are normal again, thank goodness.  They are no longer dried out little pebbles that look like I haven't had a drop of water in a month.   The bloating decreased as well, but then started up again.  I panicked, and thought the SIBO had returned but decided to try a specific probitioc (without prebiotics, I will never make that mistake again!!)  that totally eliminated the bloating and increased the motility - so I think that in addition to SIBO i had a bit of dysbiosis happening as well.  The probiotics are helping things tremendously, and I am not too thrilled to be wiping out the good bugs now too.   But, yes, you can most certainly have constipation with SIBO, and when you have it you know that something is most definitely very wrong.   For me it came on quite suddenly, I can tell you the exact week in January that it began, and this is also the case for many others.

Just make sure that your doctor tests for both hydrogen and methane sibo, and lactulose is the best substrate (sometimes they use glucose, and that only detects SIBO in the upper portion of the small intestine).

#6 atrix

atrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

You should not take probiotics when you have SIBO. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: probiotics, antibiotics

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here