Diet - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Diet

diet sibo constipation ibs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Advertisement

Is Low FODMAPS supposed to be a lifelong thing??

I used to eat normally (low carb, whole foods diet) without any problems.  Now that I am recovering from SIBO I am on a combination of Low FODMAPS/SCD diet, and I absolutely hate it.  I love, love, love garlic.  I love onions.  I love apples.  Everything that I love is forbidden, and I am left with such boring foods.  I have two cook to separate meals  - one for myself, and one for my husband who can eat whatever he likes.  My social life is a disaster because where I live socializing involves a lot of going out to dinner, and I have stopped doing this because I don't feel that anything is suitable for me to eat. I am following this diet to a "T" because SIBO is so miserable, I'd honestly rather not eat anything at all then have SIBO again.  It was horrible.  

How long do I need to continue with this?  If I start reintroducing FODMAPS will it bring the SIBO back?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

no, a strict low fodmap diet is not supposed to be a lifelong thing.

what i've generally read is that it's suggested to follow the FODMAP diet strictly for approximately four weeks.  after that,  what you are typically supposed to do is challenge each group--one food at a time. Wait a few days and then if nothing happens try another  food from that group.. and then go on to challenging another FODMAP group, food by food,  etc.

that's what i've done. i eat a moderate FODMAP diet since i've found that only certain foods bother me, which is good.

everyone is different. some people can't have any FODMAPs at all. others find that it might only be one group that bothers them.  others don't notice any difference on the diet.  the FODMAP diet is meant to be a 4-6 week diet to determine your sensitivities, but you may also find that you need to be on it long term. essentially the diet reduces fermentable carbohydrates which provides symptom relief to many, but starves our good (and even bad) bacteria of the prebiotics they use for growth. That is why people recommend challenging food groups later on, so that you can have any many prebiotics in your diet.

another thing that is important with FODMAP is quantity. many people --myself included--find they can eat a small amount of a high FODMAP  food without problems.  take broccoli for example.  i can eat a half cup of it without problems but a whole cup of it gives me gas.  i've seen lists like this too--which show some foods as being considered low FODMAP in small amounts but high FODMAP in large amounts  

so when you do introduce a food, start with a small amount and see first how you do with that. then increase it a bit and see how that goes.

staying on the SCD diet should help keep sibo at bay  although from what i've read and been told , sibo tends to come back if the cause of sibo isn't eliminated.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

Thanks so much Annie!  I feel much better hearing this.  I think that if I can just have my garlic, and onions I can handle it...lol.  I just need some flavor in my food!!

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

oh i do know what you mean--i was missing them, too.  fortunately eating them doesn't bother me. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Lleisk26

Lleisk26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

I am working on how to make low FODMAP meals taste as flavoursome as they can! It really helps me to control my IBS and honestly I love garlic and onions but in the recipes I use I subsititute them for other spices etc.

Could you please take 2 mins to answer my survey on low FODMAP foods? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :-)
Survey link:
https://www.surveymo...co.uk/r/Q5NNPHW

#6 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

As mentioned, no it is not supposed to be life long. However, if you had SIBO, you will probably never be able to go back to a high carb diet as the reoccurrence of SIBO is so high. Also, as you add foods back into your diet, you may discover there are some foods you do not tolerate well. Are you working with a naturopath? I highly recommend one or a functional medicine doctor.

#7 Justwannabenormal

Justwannabenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

Hi Leisk, I took the survey!  I think that your idea is great.  I just wish that we had options like this where I live.  We have a lot of good organic produce and such, but not something like low FODMAP. 

I have read about something called asafoetida, that is a garlic and onion substitute?  I am wondering if anyone here has tried it, it sounds interesting.  I think that it is low FODMAP, but is not SCD legal.   I am not sure if I should try it or not.  I went on to Amazon and ordered a bunch of new spice blends suited to people on a Low FODMAP diet, such as taco seasoning (I miss tacos!), and chili and it contains asafoetida.  Then I read somewhere else that this is bad for people with SIBO. 

I am working with a nutritionist, who is very up to date, and excellent.  She recommends the SIBO biphasic diet, which is a combination of low FODMAP and SCD, and I am really struggling with this.  During the first phase the only fruits that you are supposed to have are lemons and limes.  No garlic or onions of course (this is the hardest for me).  And the restrictive portions are also depressing as I like to eat a protein, with a lot of vegetables (spinach is my favorite!).  I love berries.  I love apples.  Goodness, this is difficult.  I used to be able to literally eat anything at all without any issues.  Sometimes it is so discouraging that I don't even want to eat.  I'd rather be on an elemental diet because at least it is easy, and if I can't eat tasty food then I would rather just drink my meals. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet, sibo, constipation, ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here