Constant bloating, burping, but not much flatulence - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Constant bloating, burping, but not much flatulence

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jons

jons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Advertisement

[sorry for cross posting, noticed that maybe I should post here instead of a specific subforum]

Hi I am new here. Hoping that I can get some suggestion from this board. I am 33 years old. Around end of June, I noticed that I am quite bloated at my lower abdomen, and feel quite uncomfortable. Since that day, the bloating symptom continued and never seem to have improved.

I managed to see a gastroenterologist and he started me on Xifaxan. He thinks that it is unlikely I have something serious based on my symptoms (described below), and so he thought I should start with IBS treatment first and see. He mentioned the breath test, but he thinks that it is not accurate enough to be of much value. So I didn't have that. At this point, I have been taking Xifaxan for a week now and don't see improvements.

My symptom seems to be mostly constant and persistent uncomfortable and distracting bloating throughout the day. It doesn't change much as the day progresses. I do alternate between diarrhea and some normal stool (I did have some constipation for a few days, but not anymore). Because of the bloating, I tent to go to the washroom few times a day, in attempt to feel better. At the same time, I burp quite a bit, but I don't pass gas downward much (no flatulence). My abdomen feels slightly bigger in general, but don't see it grow or shrink.

Are these symptoms consistent with IBS/SIBO? Many of the posts I see seem to show that there are lots of flatulence, but I don't have that. Could that be indication of something else? something worse?

thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

• Fromthegut likes this

#2 Fromthegut

Fromthegut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi Jons , 

I have had similar symptoms you mentioned since 2009 ,I am 43 years (nearing 44 now) . 

After some tests GI termed it as IBS symptoms , I feel Slow Transit constipation (STC) as well (possibly they go together -not sure 100%)

I blurp and pass gas downwards so it has been difficult managing home,social,office life day in and day out .

Please share your thoughts after going through these posts .

http://www.ibsgroup....-it-so-can-you/

http://www.ibsgroup....obotic-for-ibs/

http://www.ibsgroup....-rife-machines/

http://www.ibsgroup....t-constipation/

http://www.ibsgroup....-4#entry1362194

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/ ( Very good information here )

#3 alex2222

alex2222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hey Jons, would be really interested to see if you have something similar to what I have... I have constant gas, burping but with no flatulence, which is what is so frustrating because doctors cannot seem to figure out what is wrong with me, since most IBS with gas has it in the form of flatulence, but my flatulence is no different to normal. The gas is so bad that i cannot sleep due to my expanded stomach putting pressure on my vagus nerve and causing my heart to race. Have had MRI, endoscopy and blood test with nothing shown to be "structurally" wrong. Both me and doctors are at ends as to what to do since no one really knows whats going on. Let me know if this is similar to what you've got or if you'd be interested in talking since i've had this for almost a year now so could let you know of my coping strategies.

#4 jons

jons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

@Fromthegut, thanks for the info. Actually, I think I am mostly on the diahrrea side of IBS (if it's indeed IBS). Other than that one 3 day period when i had constipation, it has been a mix of normal stool and diahrrea, with multiple bowl movement a day. I also have very little flatulence, and lots of burping.

It seems that most people in the forum with bloating has symptoms of excessive flatulence. Furthermore, since my bloating is relatively constant (i.e., I feel bloated from waking up till end of day, everyday; rather than having the bloated feeling come and go). That's why I wonder if my symptoms are really IBS, or if it can be something more serious.

@alex2222, I don't have problem with sleeping. I generally feel better when sitting, or lying on the bed, so the bloating hasn't bothered me while I sleep. You mentioned that you did MRI, endoscopy and blood test, just curious why they didn't consider colonoscopy? (not suggesting you should, as I am new to this, and don't know much, but I thought colonoscopy would probably be ordered along with endoscopy?

I am on my second week of Xifaxan. I was hoping that I should feel some relieve few days in, even if not completely better. Now I wonder if bacteria overgrowth is really the issue causing my symptom.

#5 alex2222

alex2222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Well it seems that the issue is being caused more in the upper half of my small intestine, since i don't have any issues with dhiarrhea and it just seems to be my stomach filling up with gas. Good luck with the rifaximin, I was on it for a while but it didn't do anything for me personally. But from what i've read if you do have gas along with dhiarrhea, Sibo could be a possiblity. Just whatever you do make sure to take a good quality probiotic (I used Symprove) after your course otherwise you could find a bad form of bacteria repopulates your gut. 

#6 sophiejosephine

sophiejosephine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

hey, i have a similiar problem... i suffer from exessive belching... non stop... so here too, problems int he upper digestive tract... i posted my story in this same forum... feel free to read. unfortunately i don't have any advice.. best of luck

#7 jons

jons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Finished the 2 week of Xifaxan, didn't help. In fact, getting watery diarrhea now. Is that common?

Going to get Colonoscopy tomorrow and starting my prep soon.... hopefully nothing serious..... scared.

#8 jons

jons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

Back from the colonoscopy. Everything looks ok. Phew....

Found a small 4mm polyp and got that removed. Now GI doc wants to follow up with a abdominal MRI to make sure.

#9 jons

jons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

While the result of the colonoscopy is definitely a relief to my stress. Looks like the bloating is back. It actually felt better after the colonoscopy prep, but now that I started eating, i feel bloated already. I guess this is just IBS.... :(

Any suggestion on what to take to balance out my gut bateria after colonoscopy? 

#10 mwm

mwm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

I'm going to mention something. I've been having IBS symptoms off and on for several years. When they first started, I did Prilosec for a couple months, which helped but only temporarily. I didn't want to take it constantly so I stopped.

Later I found that regular aerobic exercise and drinking more water (I normally drink little water) seemed to help, but I haven't been consistent about it, so I don't know.

But recently by accident I discovered something else that seemed to have instant effect on IBS symptoms. Recently I had an eye exam that indicated I might have the beginnings of glaucoma. So I started their recommended eyedrops but I didn't like the side effects. So I quit those and I looked around for alternatives.

Marijuana is mentioned as possibly beneficial. However I don't want to go around being high throughout the day, so I did some research and found that strains higher in CBD versus THC provide medical benefits without getting high. So I started trying a little bit of that. I don't know whether it's helping as far as my eyes go, but the thing that struck me as odd was the instant effect it has had on my stomach. The bloating feeling has gone away entirely (even when I haven't smoked for a couple days).

Additionally is the effect it has during the couple hours after smoking a little. My stomach starts growling like crazy, regardless of whether I'm hungry or not and regardless of whether I've eaten or not. That's the main effect that was obvious. Additionally would be more regular bowel movements.

So I went online again and found that the body has what's called an Endocannabinoid System, responsible for regulating such things as appetite, sleep, and metabolism:

There are two types of natural cannabinoids known to scientists today: endocannabinoids (found within the human body), phytocannabinoids (found in the cannabis plant).

So this information plus the fact that the human gut is a very complex system - the enteric nervous system - which contains a lot of its own neurons, and it's not suprising that smoking marijuana would have a big effect on your digestive tract. What's nice is that is has alleviated the IBS systems. What's unknown is whether it's truly responsible for it (or just coincidence) and whether or not the effects would persist with continued use of marijuana over a long time.

I don't know if there's any studies that have been done on it, but I wanted to through it out there. I know some of you have symptoms that make you desperate for relief. You might want to give a high-CBD, low-THC (medical grade) marijuana a try and see what happens.

#11 formulaswiss1

formulaswiss1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

Well helo friends, I have a similiar issue... I experience the ill effects of exessive burping... constant... so here as well, issues int he upper stomach related tract... I posted my story in this equivalent gathering... don't hesitate to peruse. lamentably I don't have any guidance.. good luck

#12 Babrivin

Babrivin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:39 AM

hey there all. i'm in a very similar situation although i'm always trying to cook easy recipes. constant bloating, always burping, always gas that's foul smelling and upset stomach. I'm 25 yo and i have big stomach issues, presumably, due to an infection i had last summer. now, for a year long, i'm having issues with my tract, stomach and IBS. been to a doctor, he cannot help.

#13 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:55 AM

hey there all. i'm in a very similar situation. constant bloating, always burping, always gas that's foul smelling and upset stomach. I'm 25 yo and i have big stomach issues, presumably, due to an infection i had last summer. now, for a year long, i'm having issues with my tract, stomach and IBS. been to a doctor, he cannot help.

Try another doctor. This sounds like SIBO which can be diagnosed with a breath test. SIBO affects people differently, so some people recover by taking antibiotics (although many relapse eventually) and some don't see much of an effect. Antibiotics only helped me (somewhat) when I was actively taking them... the SIBO-C symptoms came right back when I stopped. Going on over 5 years now.. I manage the symptoms with Linzess and Atrantil.

#14 mwm

mwm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:26 PM

I feel like, before starting on medications, it's wise to try the following things first:

- eat less (if overweight or ifeating too much in general, cut back on it)

- drink more water (if not drinking enough during the day)

- exercise more

- pay attention to positional issues

In my case, what ended up was, first and foremost, eating less and losing weight around the middle. Doing this, it became apparent that part of the problem was too much food in the stomach getting pushed up towards the esophagus. So this causes GERD.

It's not just if your stomach is full. If your intestines are full or you're carrying too much fat around the stomach that can also squeeze your stomach, put pressure on it and push the contents up towards the esophagus.

So there's plenty of reasons, apart from heart disease, to slim down.

Water aids digestion. So if you're not drinking enough water during and after meals, then your digestive tract is working harder to digest food and not doing as efficient a job of it. Which, in my mind, could potentially cause IBS issues but i don't know if any controlled studies have been done on that.

This won't fix IBS for everyone, but it certainly will fix it for some people, and it's the logical place to start since it doesn't involve medicine and has the added benefits that come from getting your weight down to where it should be.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here