Drug makers are adding calcium to OTC meds - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Drug makers are adding calcium to OTC meds

calcium OTC acid cramps spasms antihistamines

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Julia372

Julia372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I came to spread the news that makers of OTC meds have begun adding calcium to them.

They apparently think this is a selling point. They list the amount of calcium as if it was a nutrition label. Next time I'm at the drugstore I'll try to remember to take a picture to attach here.

They apparently don't know or don't care that calcium stimulates acid production, that many Americans are sensitive to acid, and people with allergies tend to be sensitive to acid.

I was taking benadryl at night for a year with no problems. I took it to sleep and it also helped my allergies.

Recently my stomach was upset for a month. What's going on here? Eventually I noticed the ingredient label on my generic benadryl: dibasic calcium phosphate.

I had also ordered a big bottle of chlorphen from Amazon - guess what? Also dibasic calcium phosphate!

So discouraging that the people who make meds put all kinds of garbage in them! Haven't they been trained? Don't they read medical literature?

How do they not know benadryl and chlorphen are allergy meds and people with allergies are sensitive to acid???

I think it's one of two things: Either they don't care, or they're hoping to sell us stomach meds when other meds upset our stomachs.

I guess I'll have to start my own drug company to get the meds I need in formulations that don't tear up my stomach. dry.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calcium, OTC, acid, cramps, spasms, antihistamines

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here