IBS is keeping me from living my life. - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS is keeping me from living my life.

Fatigue Anxiety Bloating Gas Advice IBS-C Constipation Nausea Belching

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anaisgro

anaisgro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Advertisement

I’m 18 (female), and I’ve been dealing with IBS for about eight years now. I also have Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I am now at the point where my life is completely put on hold because of my various health struggles. My GI doc says that it’s just IBS from what she can tell. I’ve also developed severe anxiety, social anxiety, and depression to the point where leaving my house is a hassle mentally and often physically. My family has become less and less supportive and very frustrated, so I feel like a big burden. I feel like I am just existing in pain and discomfort day after day. Doctors don’t seem to know what to do and I’m beginning to think I am just crazy. One of the doctors I’ve gone to says that it is all probably caused by anxiety and stress. She wants me to go on an antidepressant, but that’s really not the route I’d like to take. But the thing is, I have trouble with pretty much doing everything. Most of the time I feel too uncomfortable to exercise, so I rarely move around which I know is really bad. I’m just stuck at home all day feeling discomfort day after day with absolutely no energy. I feel like I’m wasting my life. Does anyone have any advice? At this point I will listen to anyone.

Blood tests are fine. My symptoms are:

• lower gas and gurgling
  • bloating/nausea/belching/cramping mostly constantly
  • suprasgastric and gastric belching
  • constipation almost all the time (thinking of trying linzess)
  • always sluggish and fatigued, no energy 
  • periods of time where burping and nausea get worse such as laying down
  • emetophobia 
  • insomnia 

#2 Penzel

Penzel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

I'm sorry you have been suffering for so long. I can relate to life being on hold. I developed ibs and cdh about year ago. I feel trapped in my own body. It's incredibly difficult to pursue  goals or even just have fun when having serious health problems. 

As for the doctor's suggestion there is evidence supporting antidepressants for ibs pain and motility troubles.

https://www.med.unc....depressants.pdf

http://www.gihealthf...ants_in_IBS.pdf.

https://www.research..._bowel_syndrome

I've been taking nortriptyline, a tricylic antidepressant There is slight/modest pain improvement and significant improvement for fatigue. There

are at least 7-8 other tca's that are prescribed for ibs so it takes time to find one that is effective and tolerable. It's worth doing some reading on and talking about it with your doc. 

Lowering the bar of expectation, setting smaller goals. These help me get through the week. Oh and if you have an interest in yoga and meditation these can be helpful practices. 

• anaisgro likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatigue, Anxiety, Bloating, Gas, Advice, IBS-C, Constipation, Nausea, Belching

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here