Perplexed by sudden IBS-D which resolves only after antibiotics - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Perplexed by sudden IBS-D which resolves only after antibiotics

pi-ibs diarrhea antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 surinam

surinam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

Advertisement

Hi guys, I was diagnosed with PI-IBS in 2009.

Things were under control, but last week I got bad attacks of diarrhea suddenly with urgency, rectal pain and watery stools. This happened last year too once. I am very sure I didn't eat anything contaminated. It was all home cooked food. I changed the diet for a couple of days with no improvement.

Like last year, as a last resort I took an antibiotic meant for infectious diarrhea (a combination of Norfloxacin and Tinidazole), and the diarrhea subsided.

I still believe the diarrhea was caused by food intolerance rather than an infection. How can sudden IBS symptoms resolve with antibiotics? unsure.png

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

If your IBS is better when you are antibiotics you most likely have SIBO. Here is a good website on it. Siboinfo.com
  • ♧Pandora☆ likes this

#3 surinam

surinam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

If your IBS is better when you are antibiotics you most likely have SIBO. Here is a good website on it. Siboinfo.com

From what I understood, SIBO occurs in small intestine, right? But it's already been confirmed that colon nerves have been damaged due to shigella dysentery (which mainly effects the colon) and there is hyper permeability in colon. All my symptoms are due to this since past eight years.

#4 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Yes, small intestines. Though you know you have issues in the colon you may also have issues with the small intestines. The test is a simple breath test and easy to do.
  • ♧Pandora☆ likes this

#5 surinam

surinam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

Rboe, regarding probiotics..I have seen labels that claim that they help in SIBO, constipation and also diarrhea. If I take them for diarrhea, won't they make it worse? Since they also relieve constipation and so gut motility will be increased.

#6 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

I think it really depends on the person. There is still so much unknown concerning our gut bacteria. I just do not know,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pi-ibs, diarrhea, antibiotics

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here