Is it normal to keep IBS a secret? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is it normal to keep IBS a secret?

Ibs secret help friends relationships stomach gluten dairy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lovewinnie1

Lovewinnie1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

Advertisement
I've been hiding my IBS for a really long time (almost 6 years). It's the main problem in my life right now because it effects everything, even my appearance. I'm too scared to go to the beach because half of the time my stomach is as bloated as a balloon. No exaggeration here. I'm too scared to get a boyfriend and I'm almost 18 and IBS is holding me back from a normal senior year!!!! I'm too scared to get too close to anyone because IBS can be so embarrassing. I also feel like my family doesn't realize how much it affects my daily life and how I plan everyday around my symptoms. Anyone else feel this

#2 jnetts

jnetts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

I totally feel like this, I feel like my family doesn't understand the severity of the IBS and how much it affects daily life. And I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends the full truth of what I'm going through. You're not alone. I think at this point I'm just looking for anything that might ease the symptoms to a manageable level so I can get back to living life. 

• Lovewinnie1 likes this

#3 Dave Smith

Dave Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Yes I kept my IBS a secret too

#4 jancoo

jancoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Like you I haven't told anyone not even a doctor as I find it so embarrassing but trying to sort it out myself.
I am glad I have joined today as I have told strangers on here that I suffer with IBS. I know it's better to tell people but I just couldn't tell friends or family.

#5 age16sufferer

age16sufferer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Hey there,

Im 16, had IBS for many years but more so the past 2 years. I used to do sport, have a great social life and always enjoyed a drink. I am now almost 17 and have quit all sports (only do exercise by myself) and barely tell anyone about the awful condition. I have tried everything!. I have had ll the tests in the world and still everyone tells me to suck it up. I am fairly good at managing it. Cut out all dairy, gluten and i have a very low fodmap diet but yet i still feel sick so often. You aren't as i hate having to explain to people about the true IBS e.g. the school aspect, morning, sluggish gut, too fast acting gut and all that. My parents are the only people who truly understand. My main advice to cope with IBS is if you're not already then start doing moderate exercise, this wull both improve your mental and internal health. If i dont exercise i find myself constipated daily and always feeling sick. I am currently going through a bad episode of IBS and im hoping it goes away soon. 

God Bless.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ibs, secret, help, friends, relationships, stomach, gluten, dairy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here