Options for IBS-D - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Options for IBS-D

ibs diarrhea anti depressants tca nortriptyline fatigue brain fog

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lageek

Lageek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

Long time IBS sufferer, been extremely bad over the past three years. Symptoms are fatigue, brain fog, diarrhea with a bristol type 6 stool. Before that I managed it much better, and a round of antibiotics for H pylori made me much much worse.

Tried fecal transplants, accupuncture, ayurveda, doing yoga and meditation currently. Also trying low FODMAP and Iberogast( Stanford recommended both), and various supplements on my own(probiotics(different types, including spore based, S boulardii, Culturelle, VSL, Soil based...), colostrum, anti candida supplements, vitamins, etc). Took Xifaxan for SIBO also.

Stanford is currently recommending low dose nortriptyline(25mg) and I am leery of antidepressants, so havent started it yet. It could be addictive, and have other side effects. I also dont want to get to the point where I have to keep increasing the dose.

I have been reading the boards on and off. I would appreciate any help in what you guys have tried and what has worked for you.

Thank you in advance.

#2 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Have any of the things you tried helped at all? For many things, such as SIBO, there is a high rate of recurrence. So if you treated it, felt well for a bit (even while just taking the meds) and then soon starting feeling bad again, it may be a reoccurrence of the issue. SIBO needs to be followed up with a proper diet and often drugs for motility. Other things can have that issue as well. Candida may not be arradicated if you consume too much sugar in any form, including fruit.

I have not tried an anti depressant for my IBS but if I have tried everything else I would consider it as a last resort. I have been an antidepressant for anxiety and I had no negative side effects. Research the med you are being offered then determine if you feel ok trying it. Not all antidepressants are additictive.

I am following a diet that is mostly the SIBO specific diet and finding great relief; however adding in foods has not gone well. I will be starting medication soon,

#3 Lageek

Lageek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thank you Rboe. Which AD have you been on and for what dosage, and how long? I did research the recommendation, it does seem like it helps a lot of people, but the reports are all over the place like they are for anything else.

I have tried ADs in the past. More for depression and not for IBS, so full dosage. This time its a TCA being recommended, though its  a low dose(100mg is what is typical for depression, 25mg is what they are recommending).

#4 Rboe

Rboe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

I took sertraline. It was a high does, imo. 75 mg. I think about two years. Been off it for over 6 years and have not needed anti anxiety meds since.

#5 Nanmcb

Nanmcb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

I have had IBS since college and I'm 66. Mine is absolutely tied to stress. Last winter, I had a bad case of strep throat, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and had to move my mom to assisted living. I've been having trouble for 6 months. I have changed my diet, added soluble fiber and started Paxil. Slowly, I am improving. Anxiety is a problem also, so I use the occasional Xanax. I believe the mind body connection, is powerful.
  • bwpstl likes this

#6 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:08 AM

I have had IBS since college and I'm 66. Mine is absolutely tied to stress. Last winter, I had a bad case of strep throat, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and had to move my mom to assisted living. I've been having trouble for 6 months. I have changed my diet, added soluble fiber and started Paxil. Slowly, I am improving. Anxiety is a problem also, so I use the occasional Xanax. I believe the mind body connection, is powerful.

I know this is an old post. But curious if the Paxil helped for you. And did you have IBS-D or IBS-C? Normally SSRI antidepressatns are for people with constipation...but I'm starting to read conflicting reports of Paxil helping IBS-D folks. What dosage were you taking?

#7 legbuh

legbuh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

i took nortryptonline for a year.  Started at 5mg and went up to 100mg.  I noticed very little, if anything.  The only good thing was it didn't mess up my brain like other ADs did (paxil, etc) as it's more a gut AD than a brain one.  I even tried beta blockers and they just made me feel not myself.  I didn't like it.

You could have better results.  It wouldn't hurt to try and getting off of nortryptoline was a breeze compared to others.  No brain zaps.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, diarrhea, anti depressants, tca, nortriptyline, fatigue, brain fog

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here