Linzess 72 mcg - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Linzess 72 mcg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guineagirl

Guineagirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Advertisement

Hello! Haven't posted in a while. Have been taking Linzess 145 for almost 8 months now, and it has REALLY helped. It took a few months to figure out the best routine, take it every couple of days, not every day. And the 290 mcg was waaaaay too much--ended up with a kidney stone from probable mild dehydration. I don't love the idea of having to take medication for the rest of my life, but I was getting pretty miserable before. I'm hoping the 72 mcg will help as well, guess i just like the idea of a lower dose. AND I'm hoping to maybe not have to get up earlier on the days I take it. 

On the other hand, maybe I should just leave well enough alone and keep on with the 154? Guess my ultimate fear is that the 72 won't be enough to help, and then for some reason the 154 will not work anymore. Yeah, it's silly, but life has gotten so much better not worrying about "going" every day! I'm sure you guys can relate to how debilitating that can be, physically and mentally.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

oh i'm so glad the 145 mcg has been helping you.  that's a big relief.

no one wants to have to take meds for the rest of their life but it's better than the alternative, that's for sure. and yes, i definitely can relate to how miserable it is to have to worry about going everyday. it is debilitating.

good luck with the 72 mcg. hopefully that dose will work ok but if it doesn't, at least you can go back to the 145.

good luck. keep us posted ! 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I had bad luck with one of the higher, older doses a few years ago, quickly quit, and swore I'd never use it again. However, a doctor recently talked me into trying the 72 mcg dose. I've been on it for about three weeks, and I went from diarrhea to sort of a combination of loose and solid stools to not having any bowel activity for two or more days in a row. I took a dose of Miralax a few days ago to supplement the Linzess and probably will need to take more, since it really hasn't produced a lot of activity yet. I can't believe it stopped working in less than a month! I probably need to talk to the doctor. I had been using Miralax more or less regularly for a while, trying to find the "magic" dose and frequency that would keep me more or less regular without causing days of multiple, urgent BMs, which I have all too often with Miralax. I never could find that balance, which is why I hoped the LInzess might work better this time around. Now I'm back where I started and very discouraged. 

#4 Am1994

Am1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

I can relate! I'm trying to find my best way to take my linzess 145. It does help me, but (as many do) I literally can't be out of the house 4-5 hours after taking it. It wasn't too much of a problem this past month (I'm a student and was on vacation) but now began school, which I have 4 days a week starting at 9am. I tried waking up earlier (about 2.5 hours before leaving) but I still was so uncomfortable in class and had to get up often, which is so unrealistic in my tiny grad school classes. I decided to not take it the days I have school, but then I just got terrible stomach aches again. Im thinking that I'm going to try the lower dose on school days, and the 145 on off days. I'll have to ask my doctor if that's even possible. I also have heard of people taking it at night, but that makes me so nervous for 1. Having to get up every half hour or 2. Having an accident.

#5 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

I've now been on the low dose of Linzess for just over two months, and I still can't get a handle on it. The pattern of activity it produces seems to change all the time. Just when I think it's working reasonably well, something different happens. The first week or two was challenging, then things settled down to something resembling normalcy. However, as weeks have gone by, I've had less and less regular activity, and more diarrhea. In fairness, the diarrhea usually happens within an hour or so of breakfast, no matter whether I take the pill about 30 minutes or an hour or more before the meal, and often occurs just once a day, and not every day. Since I work at home, I can manage things (and somehow made it through a month-long vacation, much of which was spent outdoors, often nowhere near a restroom of any kind, without any significant issues). It's become more unusual to have anything that resembles a normal BM, but at least "something" is happening. Also, I've been experiencing more discomfort from lack of activity, such as minor pain, cramps, or for lack of a better word heartburn or indigestion. However, on the whole for now things are better than for many years while I was using Miralax and trying in vain to figure out how much and how often to take it. Perhaps the mixed effects of Linzess are more due to the erratic nature of IBS than to the medication itself, and there's not much point in hoping for any kind of treatment that always works well without side effects. I don't want to try a higher dose because that, too, would probably lose its effectiveness or be just as unpredictable. 

I hope you can find a way to make things work. For many of us, it isn't easy. Sorry that's not very encouraging. Good luck.

#6 mossflower

mossflower

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

I have a question-- My doctor prescribed 72 mcg of Linzess and I think I am going to try it. My colon is totally dysfunctional; it just does not work without a very large dose of magnesium and the magnesium is causing me issues.  it seems to me that 72 mcg is a small dose and I wonder if I need a larger dose-- I think my doctor wants to start with a smaller dose and see how I handle it. what should I expect with that dosage???

Thanks for your input in advance

#7 miotres

miotres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:54 AM

any update? 72 mcg or 145 mcg?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here