22 Yrs of IBS-D Halted with First Dose of Kratom - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

22 Yrs of IBS-D Halted with First Dose of Kratom

kratom IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Advertisement

Edit: 28 month update - Still working very well on the IBS-D, working very well on the fibromyalgia, neuralgia, and neuropathy. Not a full 100% with the back pain, but helps. 4 out of 5 ain't bad! I feel no dependency other than enjoying freedom from IBS-D.

Hello, I'll try to keep this as clear and concise as possible, and try to answer any questions later. I just couldn't keep this to myself knowing there are many like me searching for an answer. Could find only one reference to Kratom in this forum, so I felt I should post. Hope it's not a word that gets me banned, if there's no interest or it's taboo, I'll let it go.

IBS-D since April 8, 1995. A back pain sufferer for 35 years, fibromyalgia maybe 20 years, widespread, intense thoracic pain for at least the past 2 years, headaches since Dec 2016 and almost every day since March 2017. A lot of neuralgia too. I've been through the mill with meds and treatments, along with some mistreatment.

A week ago, I finally tried Kratom for the pain, which was wiped out with the first dose, all except the headaches which are reduced and not so persistent. At the same time, I noticed the IBS-D was gone. For the past week I have functioned better than I have for four years, I am on my feet and out of the house, taking care of business again.

Before now, my daily routine has mostly been, 8am-1pm (sometimes all day) - repeated trips to the bathroom, lots of pain, dinner, try to sleep. Most days so far, it's one trip to the bathroom in the morning. Had one day on which I went twice in a half hour, but I also had two of those red-letter days when the BM was completely normal, something not seen for years. I can now eat regular meals without fear of making 30 trips to the bathroom the following day!

I can share what I've learned later if there are questions. This is truly a miracle for me, so much pain and IBS-D wiped out so quick, so easy, and very cheap! Ran into a lot of confusing and sometimes inaccurate info about Kratom when I began researching it. I'm not getting high on it like opiates, though some strains can cause some drowsiness, those red strains I'll reserve for evening. My sleep has never been better.

In brief to close: Pain and IBS-D relief, better mood, higher energy, better sleep. That's me now! I can be more active, exercise and get some strength back, eat three meals a day, and not remain in 20ft of the bathroom. I'm taking no other meds.

The only prescription drug interaction I recall seeing was with an MAO inhibitor, but of course that should be double checked before trying Kratom.

Advisory: Kratom can make you constipated. Watch for the signs and take a laxative before getting into a serious blockage.

• Tonylyn, ASTORIA, Kathleen and 1 other like this

Kratom Tea Recipe

4-5oz cold water, 2 tablespoons sugar (optional), microwave on high 22 seconds

Add 3 level measuring teaspoons kratom, stir vigorously until blended (kratom will not dissolve)

Chug quickly because it tastes terrible, with awful texture!

Swish mouth with cold water.

https://insensebotanicals.com/ (plantation grown said to be stronger)

https://goldleafbotanicals.net/ (wild grown)

#2 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Not to be pessimistic but...i will sincerely be interested to see if this lasts. I have tried things in the past that work from 2-6 weeks but in the end my IBS-d always seems to win.

That said, best of luck to you!!
  • Lorelei56 and ♧Pandora☆ like this

#3 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Thanks mel, I don't blame you, it has been only a week. I'm hoping it lasts. It's the most results I've had for IBS-D except when I was taking high doses of pain meds for long term. Everything else made it worse, unpredictable, and unmanageable.

I'll just have to monitor and see how this goes for long term. I got that first dose at 4pm the first day, the next morning I had no IBS-D, and haven't since.

• mellosphere likes this

Kratom Tea Recipe

Add 3 level measuring teaspoons kratom, stir vigorously until blended (kratom will not dissolve)

#4 bwpstl

bwpstl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

From Webmd.com

In low doses, kratom acts as a stimulant. In large amounts, it acts as a sedative, and the DEA says it can lead to psychotic symptoms and psychological addiction. According to the CDC, about 42% of cases of kratom use reported between 2010 and 2015 involved non-life-threatening symptoms that required some treatment. About 7% of exposures were classified as major and life-threatening. The DEA says it knows of 15 kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016.

Kratom has been on the DEA’s list of drugs and chemicals of concern for several years. But the DEA notes that its use appears to be going up. Law enforcement agencies across the country seized more kratom in the first half of 2016 than ever before. U.S. poison control centers received 263 calls about kratom in 2015, a tenfold increase from 2010, the CDC says.

• ♧Pandora☆ and apnc like this

#5 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:59 AM

From Webmd.com

In low doses, kratom acts as a stimulant. In large amounts, it acts as a sedative, and the DEA says it can lead to psychotic symptoms and psychological addiction. According to the CDC, about 42% of cases of kratom use reported between 2010 and 2015 involved non-life-threatening symptoms that required some treatment. About 7% of exposures were classified as major and life-threatening. The DEA says it knows of 15 kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016.

Kratom has been on the DEA’s list of drugs and chemicals of concern for several years. But the DEA notes that its use appears to be going up. Law enforcement agencies across the country seized more kratom in the first half of 2016 than ever before. U.S. poison control centers received 263 calls about kratom in 2015, a tenfold increase from 2010, the CDC says.

Obviously any law enforcement seizures would be occurring in those few places it has been made illegal by local ordinance or state law.

Even over the counter meds are abused by those seeking a high, just as those who take high doses of kratom to try and get high, and run into problems. You know, you can probably get a big buzz on 12 Red Bulls, but then you'll probably also feel like going to the hospital. People also abuse Immodium to get high, did anyone paste some webmd statistics for that also?

I suppose the copy/paste is intended to scare people. Maybe I've come to the wrong forum.  That's alright I guess, it can be my secret.

Had chinese for dinner yesterday, no problem today. Had tacos for dinner tonight, I expect no problem tomorrow. Going to have to start watching my weight now that I'm having three meals per day instead of one.

I'm also not experiencing any of the pain I mentioned, even the headaches seem to be under control now and I'm still out and about getting things done.

• Tonylyn and ASTORIA like this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#6 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Yep, nope, tacos are no problem today.

I intended to skip taking the kratom today, but the rib pain, spiking headache, and throbbing spinal cord started coming back. 1 1/2 teaspoons later, I'm headed out to catch up on some work.

• ASTORIA likes this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#7 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Kratom,is it available on online?I will give it a try later.

#8 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Kratom,is it available on online?I will give it a try later.

Yes it is, I found 3-4 suppliers easily, though I've only purchased from one so far. If you'd like I can try to PM the name to you, but I don't know if I should post it in the forum. I'm not spamming for sales. Though if you are in India, you may prefer one closer to your location.

Forgot to mention, when I stopped the kratom briefly, I had a morning long bout with IBS-D, I'm back to one and done today. Have cut my dose back to 1 1/2 teaspoons ..

Kratom Tea Recipe

#9 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

From Webmd.com

Antidepressants are prescribed for IBS-D patients all the time, and they come with a slew of side effects such as psychosis and even death. This looks similar to demonisation Marijuana has received for the last century.

• minimalizer and Green Floyd like this

#10 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Still only one month, but still claiming, and enjoying success!

Stopped using kratom for a 3-4 days while I was down with a respiratory bug, bronchitis or pneumonia, not sure. IBS-D came roaring back.

Still pain free and enjoying once a day regularity, almost to the constipated side this morning, and that's a good thing for me.

Urination does increase for a time right after a dose, but that's a lot more manageable the constant D-D-D. I also drink more water afterward, so that adds to it.

I wish I'd tried this years ago!

Tips: Orange juice does make it more palatable, but it's very hard to make the kratom wet in a cold liquid, it just repels the liquid. Warm water mixes better and I've been adding 1tsp of sugar which makes a world of difference.

I use about 1/4 cup of water so I can drink it all down quicker, then swish another 1/4 cup to get any that sticks in the cup.

The kratom does not dissolve, it just gets wet, so the drink is a bit gritty. Well worth it in my view!

Kratom Tea Recipe

#11 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

Besides the positive effects you've mentioned, have you noticed anything that could be considered negative? Like a head high or something?

#12 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Besides the positive effects you've mentioned, have you noticed anything that could be considered negative? Like a head high or something?

No, nothing at all.

If you search it on the web, you'll see lots of posts about people taking it for a high, but they are using a lot larger doses than I've ever taken. They flirt with the vomiting that occurs with overdose, and they claim this is the reason it's impossible to overdose.

As for the long list of side effects listed here and there, frequent urination and heading into constipation are the only two I've seen. It does lift my mood a bit, and I feel motivated to get up and do things, but I'm not seeing any euphoria, certainly unlike the smallest dose of opiate painkillers. Now, in the evenings if I'm sitting and doing nothing, with nothing keeping my interest, I will tend to fall asleep early, but I don't fall asleep at the wheel or at any time that I'm active. My regular sleep has been improved. Again, I use a red strain when I take it in the evening, green for mornings.

I have a friend that tried it, and he also had success, so then his friend wanted to try it. Well, friend number 1 is a tad clueless and doesn't follow instructions well at all. He figured a regular teaspoon was as good as a measuring teaspoon. Well he ended up giving friend number 2 roughly three to four times the dose I am using. His reaction was immediate projectile vomiting, I hear it was quite a sight! So of all the people who have tried it through friend number 1, the hapless friend number 2 is the only one to not report success.

I just have not run into any serious negative side effects.

• Tonylyn likes this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#13 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

Thank you for posting. I'm still not sure if it's o.k. if it is from the coffee family of plants, no caffeine?;Wish I knew the natural ingredient break down. How much do you weight? Same amount both A.M. and P.M.? How long before eating? I know of a smoke shop that charges $10/oz, but don't know if it's the green or the red kind, yet. How can one trust their sources.....There could be fillers in it. BTW, I've felt rib pain too.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#14 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Thank you for posting. I'm still not sure if it's o.k. if it is from the coffee family of plants, no caffeine?;Wish I knew the natural ingredient break down. How much do you weight? Same amount both A.M. and P.M.? How long before eating? I know of a smoke shop that charges $10/oz, but don't know if it's the green or the red kind, yet. How can one trust their sources.....There could be fillers in it. BTW, I've felt rib pain too.

I drink a little coffee in the mornings, so I have no fear. Though I feel like drinking less now, usually 2 large cups, knocked that down to 1 large cup today. My cola intake is now 12oz per day as well. Though the tree is in the coffee family, it's not coffee, that's what I've read.

As far as the chemistry, I've read a lot about the alkaloids it breaks down to, and while not an opiate, it works on the opiate receptors in the brain. Best to search it out and read the details, I don't fully understand it well enough to explain it.

My dose is 2.5 grams or 2.5 measured teaspoons, morning and evening. Though I skipped the evening dose yesterday and I'm really slow to get going today. I'm just really sore from the work I'm doing, but no severe pain and nooo IBS-D. Last weigh-in was 213lbs, though I think I've dropped a few, maybe even 10, but again I'm much more active now due to being free of the bathroom and not in constant pain.

Sometimes I take it hours before I eat, sometimes right before, and one evening was right after dinner. No real difference to me. Seems like those people that say to take it on an empty stomach are trying to get high, not control pain or IBS-D.

I've read that gas station/head shop kratom is very poor quality and there's where you'll find fillers. I get mine online, $5/oz to $90/kilo. I'll probably just get a kilo of some red variety next time. Kilo is the best value price wise. It's recommended to keep it in the freezer. I started with some 1oz samplers, then 250 gram packs.

Honestly thought I may need to add prunes to my diet! But not yet, It's just that I'm not used to being NORMAL.

I've been working hard on a construction project that I've put off for years. Was slow getting out today because of the missed dose, but I drank my 'dirt' 20 minutes ago and now I'm put the door. A prisoner no more.

So a bit early, but this can be my 2 month update. IBS-D is no more. A miracle for me, it's been a long road, 22 years, and now I'm free of the porcelain prison. 30x a day to the throne is no picnic. I should calculate the savings on TP and water!

• minimalizer and Tonylyn like this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#15 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

PS - For now I'm sticking to mixing with a teaspoon of sugar and hot water. Hot water wets it best, since it won't dissolve, and the sugar makes it less bitter/nasty. It's still just as gritty, but worth it!

Kratom Tea Recipe

#16 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Sounds fun, I've been IBSing for 17 long years, less intense now, but daily pain and some trapping gas yet going 3X/day and not able to work still because of the maintenance of my colon, as well as the ulcer it irritates. Part of that time raising kids, so working raising them, which is important. Doesn't look like you've had much trouble with gas, probably because of things constantly moving before you started the kratom. Now, since you've slowed down with the BMs, sounds like it didn't cause a gas problem.. Interesting. I'm surprised you can tolerate caffeine period. There must be a good enough anti-spasmotic element to kratom. Does it dry you out like anti-spasmotics seem to?  The local smoke shop wants double the price at $10/oz, and It's white only available. Thanks for warning of the inferior brand. Please message me the website that you buy from online. I'm still researching. Elavil never helped me, and that was drying and affected concentration, even at 12 mg. Thanks again, hope you'll keep checking in, in case we need to message you and know long term how it's working for you.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#17 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

Will send a PM.

I found that abruptly stopping coffee would slow the IBS-D for a couple of days, then it always came back. So I felt the morning boost was more beneficial. I'm definitely down to one large cup per day, which is really two regular cups, so before I was actually drinking four cups. I don't even finish the one 12oz cola with dinner.

Gas - Well, as much as I hate to say it ... It's been a problem, many trips to the restroom for a false alarm and only gas. But the alternative is to play Russian Roulette in my shorts. But it's all normal now and I'm back to crop dusting at Walmart. I'm kidding! ..kinda

Dry - I may feel the need for extra water right after a dose, but it's not like some medications I've taken at all, it's mostly just to wash it down. I recall guzzling water like I'd just staggered in from Death Valley, think it was a muscle relaxer, maybe Flexeril. Should add though, I'm drinking more water because I don't drink those midday colas now, an effort to lose a few pounds.

I've been active every day and have little doubt I'll be able to exercise during the winter with the treadmill, light weights, and back exercises. When the docs can't help you, you have to help yourself!

Kratom Tea Recipe

#18 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

Thank you for all your great information. I found this you all might be interested in if worried about addiction, explaining the decision not to schedule 1 Kratom: http://216.30.191.14...PinneyAssoc.pdf

#19 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

I drink a little coffee in the mornings, so I have no fear. Though I feel like drinking less now, usually 2 large cups, knocked that down to 1 large cup today. My cola intake is now 12oz per day as well. Though the tree is in the coffee family, it's not coffee, that's what I've read.

As far as the chemistry, I've read a lot about the alkaloids it breaks down to, and while not an opiate, it works on the opiate receptors in the brain. Best to search it out and read the details, I don't fully understand it well enough to explain it.

My dose is 2.5 grams or 2.5 measured teaspoons, morning and evening. Though I skipped the evening dose yesterday and I'm really slow to get going today. I'm just really sore from the work I'm doing, but no severe pain and nooo IBS-D. Last weigh-in was 213lbs, though I think I've dropped a few, maybe even 10, but again I'm much more active now due to being free of the bathroom and not in constant pain.

Sometimes I take it hours before I eat, sometimes right before, and one evening was right after dinner. No real difference to me. Seems like those people that say to take it on an empty stomach are trying to get high, not control pain or IBS-D.

I've read that gas station/head shop kratom is very poor quality and there's where you'll find fillers. I get mine online, $5/oz to $90/kilo. I'll probably just get a kilo of some red variety next time. Kilo is the best value price wise. It's recommended to keep it in the freezer. I started with some 1oz samplers, then 250 gram packs.

Honestly thought I may need to add prunes to my diet! But not yet, It's just that I'm not used to being NORMAL.

I've been working hard on a construction project that I've put off for years. Was slow getting out today because of the missed dose, but I drank my 'dirt' 20 minutes ago and now I'm put the door. A prisoner no more.

So a bit early, but this can be my 2 month update. IBS-D is no more. A miracle for me, it's been a long road, 22 years, and now I'm free of the porcelain prison. 30x a day to the throne is no picnic. I should calculate the savings on TP and water!

If I'm understanding, you started @ 1.5 Tsp. 2X/day and now you are @ 2.5 Tsp. 2X/day. Buying in bulk at 90./Kilo ($2.50/oz) your cost is less than $70/Mo?

#20 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

http://kratomguides....w-drug-testing/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kratom, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here