22 Yrs of IBS-D Halted with First Dose of Kratom - Page 2 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

22 Yrs of IBS-D Halted with First Dose of Kratom

kratom IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#21 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

If I'm understanding, you started at 1.5 Teas. 2X/day and now you are @ 2.5 Teas. 2X/day. Buying in bulk at 90./Kilo ($2.50/oz) your cost is less than $70/Mo?

That's correct on the dose, didn't want to start out with too much, and found the results were more effective and consistent with 2.5. I may dial back to 2 when I have time to evaluate, or deal with, the results.

Your price per month is close. I had calculated $50/month once, but that may have been at the 1.5 tsp. dose. My last order was $50, two 250gr bags, though I'm unsure of the date, it's not showing up on my past orders. Their website is back up, by the way.

Thanks for the other info, I'll dig into that .pdf when time allows. Not concerned about drug testing, since it's legal and I'm not a professional athlete :) . Will be interesting to see my doctor's reaction when or if I tell him about my find, still on the fence about mentioning it. On one hand I really don't care, on the other, it's hard to get in to see a new doc, especially when your chief complaint is chronic pain. As of now, I'll ditch him before the kratom. I have month to decide.

I think addiction probably becomes a factor when people are taking large daily doses to get high. I've read of people using 20gr per day.

Had to think about prunes again, I'm just not used to this. My calendar for Aug/Sept is full of those red-letter days now, haha. Will have to stop marking those as national holidays. Two straight months of Mr. Hankey days is plenty. There's my bad joke of the day.

Kratom Tea Recipe

4-5oz cold water, 2 tablespoons sugar (optional), microwave on high 22 seconds

Add 3 level measuring teaspoons kratom, stir vigorously until blended (kratom will not dissolve)

Chug quickly because it tastes terrible, with awful texture!

Swish mouth with cold water.

https://insensebotanicals.com/ (plantation grown said to be stronger)

https://goldleafbotanicals.net/ (wild grown)

#22 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I've usually been the first person to dismiss almost any sort of natural herbal remedy. Somewhere around year 5 with IBS-D, I joined a forum like this and pursued almost every suggestion I could find, and tried every pill, powder, and food suggested by the ten or more docs I've seen for this.

I guess I'm posting this to show I'm not Randy of the Redwoods that walks along a trail telling you to eat this or put that under your pillow with chicken feathers and white rocks. I'm a non-believer for the most part. Pain brought me to try kratom, elimination of IBS-D is pretty much a side effect, but more of a revelation for me than pain control. Though the pain control itself has been amazing in the sheer number of pain sources that have stopped.

Had a light touch of sciatica last night, but I've been hitting the work hard. In 2013 I was immobilized for 8 months and lost all muscle tone. For the years after, I was just trying to walk more than 50ft at a time. I can now work and exercise my way back into shape! When the docs won't help, you have to help yourself!

Kratom Tea Recipe

Add 3 level measuring teaspoons kratom, stir vigorously until blended (kratom will not dissolve)

#23 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

Very interesting.   Wishing you the best, and continued success.  Never heard of Kratom before, I'll have to look into it.

Please, try to keep us updated, at regular intervals.   Hope you don't ever get any nasty side affects !

smile.png

#24 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

I was just reading ;    "several southeast Asian countries have outlawed Kratom because of addiction concerns."

So, let's hope you don't suffer from addiction, in the future and continue to have good results.

Blessings. 

smile.png

#25 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:22 AM

I was just reading ;    "several southeast Asian countries have outlawed Kratom because of addiction concerns."

So, let's hope you don't suffer from addiction, in the future and continue to have good results.

Blessings. 

Please read my posting on page 1 of this thread of the CSA report of why it was not made a schedule 1 substance.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#26 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Since I'm using this at a medicinal level, I feel my risk for addiction is very low, much lower than medicinal levels of opiates. You will become addicted when prescribed two pain pills, of the smallest strength, per day.

People that have reported withdrawals from kratom were using 20grams per day for the high. Their withdrawals were claimed to be, "like a bad cold". So if I get a case of the sniffles upon stopping low levels of kratom, I won't even notice because that's an every morning routine for me.

Due to the irresponsible whims of doctors, I have gone cold turkey a few times from very high levels of multiple potent painkillers, taken as prescribed and never abused. I should add, the IBS-D only subsided when taking those high levels of two pain meds combined. As with kratom, the control of IBS came as a side effect of pain treatment.

I've had opiate withdrawals that seemed like they had become permanent, they lasted months, not days. I'm happy to say kratom is the only medication I'm taking, my pharmacists thought I died.

I should also add, I did not use kratom to kick pain meds, I had been off them four years, and floundering. Did I mention that the week I started kratom, I mowed all my lawn in the same day. First time in four years, a major improvement for me.

• minimalizer and Tonylyn like this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#27 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

Since I'm using this at a medicinal level, I feel my risk for addiction is very low, much lower than medicinal levels of opiates. You will become addicted when prescribed two pain pills, of the smallest strength, per day.

People that have reported withdrawals from kratom were using 20grams per day for the high. Their withdrawals were claimed to be, "like a bad cold". So if I get a case of the sniffles upon stopping low levels of kratom, I won't even notice because that's an every morning routine for me.

Due to the irresponsible whims of doctors, I have gone cold turkey a few times from very high levels of multiple potent painkillers, taken as prescribed and never abused. I should add, the IBS-D only subsided when taking those high levels of two pain meds combined. As with kratom, the control of IBS came as a side effect of pain treatment.

I've had opiate withdrawals that seemed like they had become permanent, they lasted months, not days. I'm happy to say kratom is the only medication I'm taking, my pharmacists thought I died.

I should also add, I did not use kratom to kick pain meds, I had been off them four years, and floundering. Did I mention that the week I started kratom, I mowed all my lawn in the same day. First time in four years, a major improvement for me.

Ha! "My pharmacists thought I died" I'm crackin up over here GF. Love your posts.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#28 Barney71

Barney71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

Wow, that's really looking worthwhile! I have read about Kratom some time ago already, but I have never really believed in opinions from random people in the internet, but as even people here vouch for it then I will definitely need to give it a try. From what I heard, Kratom has had already many different use, but I have never though it can be applied in this area as well. For example a friend of mine has been using it for treating his minor depression that he has been experiencing and it has really helped him, although he warned me that Kratom may be addictive and thus dangerous in a long-term use, so you need to be strong mentally and consequent about this.

• minimalizer likes this

#29 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Haven't tried yet, but make sure it's not laced by asking for proof of it being "independently" (3rd party) tested (lab results) for purity and potency etc. "after" coming into your country and an expiration date. Just like people expect with CBD oil, no different. Otherwise, could be laced with something that could make you fail a drug test and get you fired or not hired;One women, who bought it from a smoke shop, found it was laced with tramadol. Keep frozen after receiving and only use in tea form, capsule fiber part upsets some people's stomachs I've read. Also, it is very constipating so drink more water and increase fiber intake. Someone taking it medicinally would be the same as a chronic user, so keep doses low as possible and go off and back on it periodically. Very high quality kratom can be up to $17/oz, so I'm debating affordability, unless it's effective at a low dosage. Search thoroughly. My local smoke shop had three different brands, none of which had websites, and a couple had only facebook pages. Basically, no important information....You have to hold these stores/companies/vendors accountable. If the smoke shops gave a dang, they'd have a copy sent to them with their products from the manufacturers with that lab criteria mentioned above to show their customers Not just, "oh, our customers have told us they haven't had any failed drug tests." That's not lab proof. It could contain other things like mold, bacteria. So, demand accountability.

• ♧Pandora☆ likes this

#30 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

These might be useful:

An Association: https://www.americankratom.org/

A user guide:

http://www.ilovekratom.com/kratom-forum/the-kratom-users-guide-2015/1686-the-kratom-user-s-guide-2015

A conversion table: https://www.thekrato...cles.asp?ID=243

#31 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

That user guide is a good read. I read so much conflicting info around the web, it was confusing at first. I finally began to identify a consensus, and separated the wheat from the chaff.

From the guide posted above:

Some of the most commonly reported benefits are listed below.

• Feeling more optimistic/happy
  • Pain relief
  • Increased energy-level
  • Enhanced communication skills
  • Enhanced motivation
  • Relief of depression
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Weight loss
  • Decreased anxiety
  • Lower blood sugars
  • Decreased hypertension
  • Decreased fatigue
  • Increased and extended energy
  • Antidiarrheal effects <------------------<< This one right here!!!
  • Increased mental acuity
  • Lower blood pressure

• Tonylyn likes this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#32 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Green Floyd, glad the guide helps. Everyone:

I'm at just 3/4 "measured" tsp. (1.95g)/day of maeng da green kratom in tea form. I'm drinking half the tea in the AM and the other half in the PM. I started at 1/2 tsp, then 1 tsp yesterday with some nausea-so backed down to 3/4 tsp as mentioned. The nausea was happening when my stomach became empty after meals yesterday, not after I took the Kratom tea. My body is not use to my food going through just a little slower, but going at least 2 BMs/day instead of the usual 3/day. I'm on proton pump inhibitor from before the kratom, when colon was spasming and re-irritated an ulcer caused by years of IBS. I had tried a new food that didn't agree. Haven't tried new foods yet, but  I am in no pain from IBS for days now, and feeling good about feeling good after 17 bad IBS years. I am going to try the maeng da red  kratom for evenings, hoping it will be less energizing than my daytime green kratom, we'll see. I also will go off of it periodically, which is good with many herbs, so one doesn't become tolerant. Thank you Green Floyd!

• Tonylyn and Green Floyd like this

#33 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Green Floyd, glad the guide helps. Everyone:

I'm at just 3/4 "measured" tsp. (1.95g)/day of maeng da green kratom in tea form. I'm drinking half the tea in the AM and the other half in the PM. I started at 1/2 tsp, then 1 tsp yesterday with some nausea-so backed down to 3/4 tsp as mentioned. The nausea was happening when my stomach became empty after meals yesterday, not after I took the Kratom tea. My body is not use to my food going through just a little slower, but going at least 2 BMs/day instead of the usual 3/day. I'm on proton pump inhibitor from before the kratom, when colon was spasming and re-irritated an ulcer caused by years of IBS. I had tried a new food that didn't agree. Haven't tried new foods yet, but  I am in no pain from IBS for days now, and feeling good about feeling good after 17 bad IBS years. I am going to try the maeng da red  kratom for evenings, hoping it will be less energizing than my daytime green kratom, we'll see. I also will go off of it periodically, which is good with many herbs, so one doesn't become tolerant. Thank you Green Floyd! rolleyes.gif

You're very welcome and thank you for the feedback! The more info we have, the better. I have so many other underlying ailments, it's hard for me to determine what is needed to control the IBS alone.

Just ordered a kilo of Red Bali, they're having a sale on kilos. I feel the red strains work best for me, I don't really need the higher stimulant effects of whites/greens. If I take the red too late in the evening, I'm up later than I want to be.

My friend still only takes it 3-4 days apart, 2tsp. But he doesn't have IBS, he's got nerve damage in his hands and neck, his thumbs were barely functioning, but he's doing well now. He's thanking me profusely every time I see him.

Kratom Tea Recipe

#34 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

I am 126 lbs. at that total of 3/4 tsp/day btw. Ya, it isn't taking much just for IBS, but I have arthritis that has started over the last 5 yrs in my neck mainly, because of slipped disks from just a darn sm accident. Because of intestinal low grade inflammation though, I believe that is what hasn't helped the general body inflammatory reactions, including allergies. Might have to up the kratom to cover my other maladies.

Rather than making two kinds of kratom, I'm only starting and taking the red maeng da since last nite, and for the day and night today. I feel relaxed, but not so energetic like the green maeng da. Today dividing it 3X just to see if less nausea after meals, so far ok. I took it with ginger though this morning, yet feels it is not inhibited by it. I've read that some nausea can be because of your system getting use to it anyway, and to start low. Because of no spasming, food is not getting slowed down and fermenting, hence hardly as much gas and no irritation.

Yesterday I took it divided 2X and it lasted 6 hrs for IBS! Green Floyd, are you finding it dries you out at your higher dose? Bentyl and Elavil did more drying than helping my IBS. I'm glad I was only at 24mg of Elavil, to get off of it fairly easily. I was having bad dreams right after I'd fall asleep, and then wake right back up, awful. I noticed Eluxadoline affects MU opioid receptor and the addiction risk is low, but the efficacy rate is low and it can cause drowziness. I haven't been taking the IBgard. Have a good one everyone.

#35 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

I've increased the sugar to 2 teaspoons, and doubled the amount of water to half a large coffee cup. More water lets you stir it better, sugar helps with taking smaller gulps, so the taste doesn't get to you. Previously, I was using a minimal amount of water to allow one big gulp to get it down, but then there was always clingons in the cup to rinse and take that 2nd or 3rd gulp.

Hi minimalizer,

I've not experienced any nausea, but obviously some may. That may go away once you find the dosage for you, or get used to it, hope so anyway. Your light weight may be a factor. I was 213# when I began, think I've lost a bit, but will know when I visit the doc again. (don't trust my scales)

I haven't had any dehydration, though I do grab a bottle of water after a dose just to wash it down and get rid of the slight aftertaste. I've actually cut back on the extra water I was consuming when I began kratom.

It's a nice Sunday here, taking my first day off work since Sept. 18. Temps have cooled from 90° and our drought was broken last night. It's an odd feeling, not having IBS-D. Where have I been all these years? Oh yes, that porcelain prison. I should round up an old toilet and smash it with a sledgehammer!

Kratom Tea Recipe

#36 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Green Floyd, sounds like CA drought..Try here in the hot part of AZ, waiting since June to get back to just dbl. digits again. Yup, I like October.

It is nice to not have the twitching and twainging of pain in the AM and every 2-3 hrs., no matter how quickly I'd try to get to the meal/snack sometimes. I don't feel soo vulnerable to emotions ruling the spasms, and am not worrying about the reflux caused by the spasming damaging what I healed upstairs all over again. Since I was taking methylcellulose soluble fiber and regulating movements, intestinal pain/trapped gas and painful reflux were the main issues. Didn't like the red maeng da Kratom as much as the green version. Too relaxing of the brain at the same dosage, might do just at night. Still only using 3/4 tsp powder simmered 15 min., adding back in ice cubes to cool down and filter, to bring back up water content to 12 oz and dividing into 6 oz 2X/day, plus drinking at least 8C water throughout day. Last night it lasted 8 nice hrs before taking the evening dose. Feeling better and getting more done in time for this nicer weather and upcoming holidays. Thing is, at the smaller dose, might not still be able to eat regular foods just yet. That's going to be a slow build up after 17 yrs.

#37 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Spaghetti!

For some reason, spaghetti for dinner always meant the whole next day is dedicated to bathroom trips. All day long. I blamed the sauce, then I blamed the grain, but could always count on the bad effect.

Had a spaghetti dinner one evening this week, didn't have to visit the bathroom at all the next day. Even had baked spaghetti from the leftovers the following evening. No problem! I'm telling you folks, I really think I'm cured!  If spaghetti or Taco Bell won't give me fits, I don't think anything can. Before now, it was routine to make 29 bathroom trips per day!

Almost got to try a few days without drinking my "dirt". I pulled a Mr.Bean and dumped all my remaining Red MD onto my shoes. Luckily the mailman delivered. I've found a plastic container to dip out of and the rest is stored in the freezer. The bags and short measuring spoons don't play well together.

My friend says he's been mixing his with tea. He warms the cold tea in the microwave and then mixes in the kratom. Said he doesn't have to add any sugar and he drinks it down with no problem. It still needs stirring to keep the kratom in suspension with the tea and it's still gritty, but it sounds like an option I'll be trying. 

Kratom Tea Recipe

#38 Candide

Candide

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

For more information on general effects of Kratom:

Don't forget to turn on subtitles if you don't know Dutch.

#39 Green Floyd

Green Floyd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for your post and video.

That first dose he took was more than my two daily doses combined, I would guess close to double. ... and then he takes another? whew!

He certainly knows nothing about taking a shot of moonshine. :) Kratom is not a flavor to savor! (but sugar helps me a lot)

Note one of the first effects they mention ... antidiahrreal!

I've seen mention of "eye wobbles" around the web, but that happens at high dosage levels in people that are seeking to get high. I would say both his doses combined, fall into that category. I have heard of people that can't stop smiling after taking a strong dose. Have not experienced any of this myself.

My dose is 2.5 measuring teaspoons. I intend to keep it there so that I don't escalate into dependency, or at least delay that effect. My plan is, if I find myself needing more or wanting more, I will stop for as long as it takes. For now, I feel like I could skip a dose at any time and not feel that desire.

• minimalizer likes this

Kratom Tea Recipe

#40 boris_badenoff

boris_badenoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

I just wanted to comment on your Kratom experience.  I have had UC and IBS-D for many years.  A couple of years ago I discovered Tianeptine, which has anti-anxiety properties but also stopped my IBS-D for a long while.  I think Tianeptine and Kratom have an opiate effect on the gut, basically slowing things down like Viberzi does without the huge prescription cost.  Eventually, I found out I had histamine intolerance issues and benadryl alone and a reasonable diet has kept me in complete remission for over a year.  But I am glad to know of Kratom just in case I hit any rough patches.

• minimalizer and Tonylyn like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kratom, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here