Career Change - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Career Change

ibs ibs-c constipation career change job career work stress anxiety

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thejono

thejono

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Advertisement

I'm an engineer and developed IBS-C about two years ago. My job is really demanding, so naturally I'm stressed a lot. Additionally, I sit at a desk all day staring at a computer which can effect my digestion between the sitting, boredom, and the stress. I'm considering a career change to something more active, but expect it to pay less, which is causing me additional stress. I'm considering actually becoming an electrician through a union as it would pay really well after the 4 or 5 year training.

Has anyone had to change careers, dramatically or minor, in order to cope with their symptoms? If so, from what to what and how did you cope with changes in pay, if any?

#2 Amelia19902017

Amelia19902017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thejono,
I hear you with regards to this topic; I am a teacher and just graduated with a masters in social work. It is tough. I find the desk jobs terrible for me ...closed cubicle next to people all day = bloating and embarrassment. Whereas teaching is tough cause I can't leave the room. The best scenarios are working from home or by telephone. With your degree depending on your background...maybe there is a business you could start online or web design is good and in demand.
Just a suggestion. For me I am struggling still looking for telephonic counselling or juggling different jobs. No good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, ibs-c, constipation, career change, job, career, work, stress, anxiety

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here