Finally had Colonoscopy/Endoscopy now what?! - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Finally had Colonoscopy/Endoscopy now what?!

colonoscopy ibs-d help tips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spelljen1991

spelljen1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Advertisement

Anybody here have a colonoscopy? LOL I know you guys have, so I need some help! I had my procedure at 1:30pm, I was released at 3:00pm, and now it's 5:00pm, and I'm still gassy-not balloon gassy, but still passing a lot of gas, and that weird yellow watery stuff. How long does that last? I ate some mashed potatoes at 3:30, and then some chicken at 4:45. I know my wonderful gut is faster moving than most, so I'm just wondering when I'll be back to "normal". I'm having lunch with friends tomorrow and a birthday party for my brother tomorrow night. Anybody know if I'll be good to go with these activities? Thanks in advance :D 

By the way NO CROHN'S!!! Hallelujah! 

• minimalizer likes this

#2 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

When I would have flair ups it would be normally about 2-3 days to calm down.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#3 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Your gut will still be recovering from the bowel prep and trapped gas caused by the scope. Most people are fine by the next day, some others have some residual inflammation that can take a little longer to subside.

• bwpstl and ♧Pandora☆ like this

#4 spelljen1991

spelljen1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

Well I felt great last night and this morning but after lunch the burning diarrhea started. It wasn't a long episode, but ugh, my bowels hate me. I didn't even eat anything that out of the ordinary for myou normal diet, but I'm guessing because of how sensitive my bowels are right now I need to be extra careful. My doctor told me now we can try some medications so hopefully that can happen sooner rather than later. Do you think I should take some pepto or I'm imodium to help slow things down or should I try to let it get calm on its own?

#5 JeffR

JeffR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Normal.  I had my colonoscopy in January and it took a day or two for things to straighten out...

#6 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

Well I felt great last night and this morning but after lunch the burning diarrhea started. It wasn't a long episode, but ugh, my bowels hate me. I didn't even eat anything that out of the ordinary for myou normal diet, but I'm guessing because of how sensitive my bowels are right now I need to be extra careful. My doctor told me now we can try some medications so hopefully that can happen sooner rather than later. Do you think I should take some pepto or I'm imodium to help slow things down or should I try to let it get calm on its own?

I don't think there would be any problems in taking Imodium in the mean time. If you're experiencing burning diarrhea, you might want to ask your doctor about Bile Acid Malabsorption. It can cause acidic diarrhea and can be treated with a specific medication.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

Your gas should subside the next day, probably some liquid excretion for a day or two, as you had been cleansed out by the colonoscopy and nothing really solid should have left within your digestive system until you ate food afterwards. No worry for the aftermath of the colonoscopy. More to worth worry is the condition you are probably having and the impacts on your quality of life that may not start to manifest years later......

Good Luck and Cheer Up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colonoscopy, ibs-d, help, tips

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here